4 Netflix Originals You've Been Sleeping On

The shows you didn't know you needed until now.

15
World and Wide

In the past few years, Netflix has released a plethora of original content, changing the landscape of media streaming and television. You've probably heard of some of these groundbreaking shows, like Orange Is the New Black and Stranger Things - shows that completely blew up over social media and have proved wildly successful. But Netflix is also home to some lesser known, yet truly revolutionary content that perhaps you haven't heard as much about. In my opinion, they are just as incredible - if not better - than Netflix's more mainstream original shows. Each of these shows contain complex storylines, exquisite cinematography, and incredibly diverse and gifted cast members.

1. The Get Down

This riveting and exciting series looks at the rise of hip-hop, disco, and DJ culture in the Bronx during the 1970s. It follows five young men learning about music, brotherhood, loyalty, passion, and life while trying to make their way in the world. This heartwarming coming-of-age series will make you laugh, sob, dance, dream, and contemplate as it shares an inspiring story of empowerment through diversity. It will leave you asking yourself what kind of mark you want to leave on this world and will prove to you that we as humans are always strongest when we come together.

2. The OA

A truly spiritual, puzzling, and transcendent masterpiece, The OA is essentially an 8-part movie that will grip you by your soul and not let you go even once the screen has gone black. The basic plot follows a young woman who recounts her story of what happened while she was kidnapped for seven years, relying on the help five strangers to help her save the other hostages she left behind. This emotionally-charged thriller is filled with revelations and questions at every turn which will leave you dumbfounded at the end of each episode. A story about life and death, ethics in science, trust in storytelling, and human connections, this cinematic work of art is a must-see for everyone.

3. Sense8

Considering I have an entireother article on why you should be watching Sense8, it's no surprise that I've added it to this list. This series has absolutely everything: action, romance, mystery, humor, you name it. It's a profound and poignant narrative on empathy and compassion that is especially relevant in a time of such disconnect and ignorance in our society. Sense8 embraces diversity with open arms and will have you experiencing a spectrum of emotions you didn't even know you were capable of having.

4. Luke Cage

Based on the Marvel Comics character, Luke Cage takes place in Harlem in the Marvel Cinematic Universe (don't worry, you do not have to be a Marvel fan to understand and appreciate the story). After an experiment gone wrong, Luke Cage finds himself with superhuman strength and unbreakable skin - and there is nothing to be lost on the powerful image of a bulletproof black man on television. When an attack hits too close to home, Luke decides to use his abilities to take justice into his own hands. Filled with scandal, mystery, romance, gangs, corruption, and crime, this series is a non-stop action adventure that will leave you on the edge of your seat and give you a very brutal and real look into our country's criminal justice system.