4 Most Frequently Asked Questions On A Furman Tour

Did you ask one, or multiple, of these four most frequently asked questions?

85
Furman University

Giving tours every day, five days a week means I have a lot of those frequently asked questions that I get consistently on every tour. Some, about me. Others, about other things. Since these questions seem to be a reoccurring theme, and for good reason, and the demand for these answers high enough, let me simply address them all here.

Q: What made you choose Furman?

A: I wanted a small, liberal arts college close to my home, Asheville. That criteria narrowed it down pretty quick. Following that, I wanted somewhere that Greek Life was a thing, but I didn't have to be in it to be involved. After that, I had it narrowed down between Furman and two other schools. I settled it with an overnight visit to Furman, where I quickly learned how genuine the student body is, as well as how impressively students manage academics and social life.

Q: What's one thing you'd change about Furman?

A: I always joke I want the post office open limited hours on Saturday. However, in all honesty, there's not a whole lot. I do wish that intramural sports were a bit more popular on campus. They're relatively popular, but I'd like to see more teams pop up any day!

Q: Favorite Furman memory?

A: Most students will tell you homecoming, and for good reason. However, mines the Moonlight Breakfast at the end of my Freshman year. The breakfast is always held at night on the last day of classes, and your professors and the administration serves you in the dinner hall. Long story short, President Davis hit me with a pancake she dropped, covering my in syrup.

Q: Best thing about Furman?

A: The connections! People genuinely care about your success at Furman, and will help you get there. I can't tell you the number of times a professor or staff member has reached out when I'm sick, helping me catch up with work. Better yet, the willingness that they show to help me in extracurriculars, volunteer work, or even other class work. The support network is just absolutely unbelievable.

Honorable Mentions:

Tip: Some of these questions are better off not asking.

Q: Can you park on campus all four years?

A: Yep, and you'll complain about it even though its closer here than at almost any other university, ever.

Q: How much do you pay to go here?

A: None of yo business, that's how much.

Q: My son makes all A's in high...

A: Stop right there ma'am, I'm proud of your son, but I don't control the admissions process. Just here to give tours.

Q: Why do you pay $60K a year just to be a teacher?

A: Why did you just waste precious oxygen asking me a question that is a hundred yards past the out of bounds line?

and finally...

Q: On a scale of one to ten, how likely is my kid to party hard here *wink*

A: Get out of my golf cart.