4 Controversial Metal Genres

4 Controversial Metal Genres

Some of the hated and frowned upon

227
4 Controversial Metal Genres
Bing.com

Since the first Heavy Metal album in 1969, lots of newer genres and sub-genres have emerged. This tends to make the metal community very diverse with different tastes and different opinions. Despite this, there are some subgenre's of metal that is universally controversial within the community as a whole. Listeners of any of these genres tend to be criticized by fellow metal lovers. So, I'll be listing some of the most controversial ones.

1) Metalcore

Metalcore is a subgenre with influences from hardcore punk along with extreme metal influences. This genre is characterized by the use of breakdowns and screaming vocals. Now, the reason why it's an issue within the metal community is the use of constant breakdowns leads to comments that " No talent is needed". Another problem is the image as bands from this genre tend to look like emo kids or at least scene kids. The screaming used is another point of criticism as lyrics tend to be more about heartbreak, love songs which also, tends to be a problem within the metal community. Personally, I don't have a problem with the genre as I like to listen to it but, I do agree with the image portrayed by the mainstream bands of the genre.

2) Deathcore

Deathcore is a subgenre that is a combination of Death metal and metalcore. Deathcore has the lyrics of death metal and the death growls but with heavy use of breakdowns. As I said about metalcore use of breakdowns, the same applies to this genre as it constantly uses breakdowns for most of the songs. It can be problematic as some Deathcore bands would sound the same because of constant breakdowns.

3) Glam/Hair Metal

Glam metal or hair metal is another genre of metal that was hated or loved by fans. The genre was popular throughout the 1980s and into the early 1990s before declining due to grunge. The genre itself features band members wearing makeup and flashy clothes examples are bands like Kiss, Motley Crue, New York Dolls and Poison. This is criticized because when it first emerged it wasn't like Heavy metal, it was the opposite. It wasn't dark, heavy but it was more pop with makeup that struck a chord within the metal community at the time.

4) Nu Metal

This is without a doubt, the most hated and polarizing genre of metal. Nu metal is a genre of metal with influences from genres outside of metal and rock, influences tend to be from hip-hop, funk, and other genres. To people within the metal community, it's frowned upon heavily because of the fact that it's not really metal because it doesn't have guitar solos, guitars down tuned and the outside influences. Examples of Nu Metal bands are Slipknot, Korn, Linkin Park, Limp Bizkit, Papa Roach. Personally, I don't like Nu Metal either but, that doesn't mean I criticize people who enjoy this genre.

Those were my list of controversial genres within the metal spectrum. These are controversial because it can be agreed on by the metal community as bad forms of metal. Some of these include outside influences, have excessive breakdowns, or is very pop that anger the metal community.