4 Affordable Computer Games To Help You Relax

Hours of stress relief, right from your laptop.

28
KnowTechie

When classes come around and we don't have the time, money or energy to go out with friends, there's nothing like a well-made video game to help unwind. Snag some affordable games for your laptop this summer. Here are some of my personal recommendations for when you do.

1. Stardew Valley

Harvest Moon's spiritual successor highlights the perks of a simpler life. Your character, fed up with the monotonous routine of the city, inherits their deceased grandfather's farm located in the titular valley. From there, you can grow a cornucopia of crops, explore the land and make friends (or more) with the other townspeople. Sitting at a cool $15, Stardew Valley provides a comfy escape from the unsavory aspects of the big city while still maintaining the bustling social aspects that make city life worth living.

2. Slime Rancher

This game's for those days where interacting with other people simply isn't on our to-do list. Set 1,000 light years away from Earth on what's known as the Far Far Range, play as Beatrix LeBeau and make a fortune with the help of slimes, the adorable intergalactic version of livestock. While as of right now the game isn't fully complete, Slime Rancher already features a gorgeous world filled with ancient secrets and fascinating environments, all for a slick $20. And let's be honest, who needs human interaction when you've got hundreds of slimes sporting goofy smiles at you all the time?

3. Borderlands Series

Managing cash crops and cute aliens is great, but both of those take a surprising amount of brainpower to do efficiently. If you want to just turn your brain off for a while and shoot some baddies, the Borderlands series should be right up your alley. Choose from one of four vault hunters and set course for Pandora, a charmingly dangerous planet that houses rampaging psychos, fellow treasure seekers, and tons of guns. Compared to most shooters, Borderlands doesn't take itself quite as seriously, and the unique humor is a major part of the experience. Ranging from $10 to $30 depending on where you buy, each installment of the Borderlands franchise is great for some quality dumb fun.

4. Scribblenauts Unlimited

There are many different ways to solve problems, and Scribblenauts Unlimited gives you the power to do so in unique ways for $20. Play as young Maxwell, a boy blessed with a magical notebook that turns whatever he writes in it into reality, and solve puzzles while helping others out with their daily lives. Many of the missions, like saving a cat stuck up a tree, are pretty simple. Sure you can climb up the tree and pick it up, but that's boring. Why not conjure up a jetpack to snatch the cat quicker or a loyal hawk to swoop down and grab it for you? In Scribblenauts Unlimited, you're free to flex your creativity in any way, shape or form.

Video games don't always have to be complex or competitive to be good. If you're ever feeling stressed or overloaded, these games can be there to soothe you. And if you missed out on these games during the recent Summer Steam sale, you can come back during winter for good deals.