I'm 1 In 4 Million That Has Scoliosis And These Are The 10 Questions I Constantly Get Asked

I'm bent, not broken

304
Picquery

The total number of scoliosis cases in the United States is estimated to be greater than 4 million . I am one of those cases.

Here are some common questions and comments (as well as my answers) I have received since my diagnosis of Scoliosis, but have always been a little hesitant to share about:

"When did you get Scoliosis?"

I’ve always had Scoliosis . However, it was undiagnosed until high school. None of my healthcare providers caught the progression of the curvature of my spine. In 7th grade I had my spine checked and my right side was notably bigger. The physician said it was because I played sports.

It was common in girls for their dominant side to be more developed. (It's also common that middle school aged girls begin showing signs of Scoliosis. Girls who are taller than other children their age also have an increased risk for scoliosis. In fact, Scoliosis occurs 10 times more often in girls than boys.) We didn’t think anything was wrong.

I continued having back pain and couldn’t do things that a “normal” middle school girl could. Most people can lay flat on their backs and not have it lock up and prevent them from moving at all. I would get stuck and have severe pain when I tried to move.

My mom and I were in the towel section at Kohl's when she really thought that something looked different. She told me to “stand straight” and I did. She looked at me with concern. My shoulders were very uneven and my hips were also not centered.

We went to my Pediatrician and she suggested I get x-rays at the Spine and Scoliosis Center at the DuPont Children's Hospital.

The x-rays revealed that my right side was not bigger because I was athletic, but instead a case of Idiopathic Scoliosis with a 38-degree curvature of the spine.

I was devastated. In middle school, everyone just wants to be normal and to fit in. I already didn't really fit in because of my height and I was afraid the curvature of my back would make everything much, much worse. I didn't want to be that kid who had to wear the hard plastic brace or get multiple surgeries to "fix me".

Fortunately, I never had to wear the brace or get the surgery. However, my "Scoliosis Journey" would be far from over.

"Why didn't you get the surgery?"

Surgery is only an option for individuals with curves of 50 degrees or higher. By the time I was diagnosed, I had pretty much stopped growing. This meant that my bones and muscles were basically what they were going to be.

At its highest, my curve was 38 degrees. It is currently at 34 degrees following a few rounds of physical therapy.

"Why bother doing Physical Therapy? Won't it go away with time?"

It will not go away with time. My type of Scoliosis is genetic and will be apart of me for the rest of my life. Physical Therapy has helped me manage my pain and decrease my curvature by a few degrees.

"You spent all that money on Doctor visits and Physical Therapy for a few degrees?"

As I continue to get older, my curve will most likely get worse and I will be at a greater risk for more joint problems and Osteoporosis. Every degree I decrease my curvature by will help me in the long run. If my Scoliosis would have been diagnosed when I was younger, I would have more of an opportunity to prevent the progression of my curvature.

"It can't be that bad. It's all in your head."

Tell that to my constant back pain. Or to the way I look in pictures. Oh, or the thousands of dollars of x-rays and treatment.

Notice that my left hip protrudes more than the right hip.

Notice that my back is generally (34 degrees!) slanted to the right. My x-rays resemble a question mark.

Notice that my right shoulder slants lower than my left shoulder.

"Why do you sit like that?"

If I sit in a regular chair for more than five minutes, the right side of my shoulder and back goes numb. I can only sit in one position for a short amount of time before I have to move to another one. This is to prevent the pain of regaining feeling in my back after it goes numb.

"Why do you have to crack everything all the time?"

It honestly helps. Most people say Chiropractors aren't real doctors and that their profession is a sham. It. Is. Not. Getting my back cracked is one of my favorite things in life. After physical therapy and adjustment (cracking of the back), I am in a state of euphoria. Through physical therapy, I am temporarily pain-free.

"Can't you just sit up straight?"

I am sitting up straight. This is as straight as my crooked back can go.

"Now you can't be athletic anymore."

Just because I have a diagnosis doesn't mean that I am not incapacitated. My back isn't straight, but it hasn't been straight for quite a while now. I know what I can and can't do. I can't lay flat on my back without being stuck like a turtle flipped on its shell. I can't do a somersault. I can still play field hockey. I can still play softball.

"So there's not really anything wrong?"

There is something wrong. My back is not straight, but Scoliosis doesn't define me. It's just another characteristic of me!