365 Day Poetry Goal: Week 19

365 Day Poetry Goal: Week 19

Poems 126 - 132

11
365 Day Poetry Goal: Week 19
Julian Wynn Smith

Week 19. Time to check another week off the list. I keep reiterating this, but time sure is flying by. I started doing this in my first semester of my bachelor’s degree, and it’s already been 19 weeks and 132 poems later. In my opinion, that’s already been quite an achievement considering.

As usual, for those of you who do not know why I am doing this, I will quote my first article here:

“I have realized that a great way to keep sane when you’re busy (especially with very tedious work) is to keep your creativity flowing. So recently, I have decided to start a sort of creative goal for myself. I’m going to write 365 poems. That is one every day without stopping. This is all free form and off the cuff. So if it’s short, long, good, and/or crap, that is up for you to decide.”

Please enjoy.

---

Some people have different definitions of being friends. Whether they'll tell you or keep to themselves is a different story. How much do you see any of these in your friends, or possibly yourself?

February, 13th 2017

126 of 365

What Does it Mean to Be a Friend?

I don't know what it means to be a friend

Is it to make someone happy?
Help someone when they're in need?
Boost someone up when they're down?
Share them what you think is awesome?
Spend time with them because you enjoy them?
Because you think they're interesting?
That they intellectually challenge you?
That they make you feel like you're not alone?

Is this what it means to be a friend?
Or do you take advantage of them when needed?
Only need them when you want something?
Tell them to forget their problems.
Only see them when you can "have fun?"
Only interested when you're involved?
Only hang around them because they're "less" than you?

I just don't know what it means to be a friend

---

Today is Valentines Day. Like many millennials, I am alone. However, don't you see people who only actually spend time with their partners when it's a special occasion? Like Valentines Day for instance. Why can't there be romance every day? It doesn't have to be to the same caliber, but romance should be more frequent and spontaneous! If you don't try, it'll die. Whatever you need to do to keep the ship afloat, I say. This poem is about that "planned" aspect of romance.

February, 14th 2017

127 of 365

Why Not Every Day?

It feels just like any other day
Everyone else coupled this way
I don't see the values they lay
Shouldn't they always have that gaze?

Why does it need to be something special
Love presented through superfluous mettle
I wouldn't give you the choice to settle
Every day you would be my temple

Sure a nice dinner wouldn't be condemned
Creating memories worthy of reminiscence
We obligate our moments to a planned decision
When excitement become a prediction

It feels just like any other day
Everyone else coupled this way
I don't see the values they lay
Shouldn't they always have that gaze?

---

I made this while listening to a piano compilation of music by Claude Debussy. He wrote music that went against all general conventions of music during his time. I don’t know enough about poetry to say that I can do this, but I decided to try and write a piece adapting to that logic. Ironically, there’s a lot of structure in this particular piece, so I failed in that regard. Never the less, this is a unique one focusing on a specific size for each line, and only beginning them with words that start with QU.

February, 15th 2017

128 of 365

Quest for the Avant-garde

Quintessential to an affect
Quintessential in meaning
Quite an arbitration really
Quarreling over petty rules
Quivering in apprehension
Quicker than ever to upset
Quit hurdled marionettes
Questions will always arise
Quiet when in transfixion
Quoting the reminiscence
Quell the eternal presence
Quaint is the only vexation
Quintessential in meaning
Questions will always arise
Quill the arbitration for now
Quip once more for the row
Quit the gasps of a cadence
Quit just for the audience
Quoting the reminiscence
Quite an arbitration really
Quintessential to an affect
Quintessential to the rules
Quintessential in meaning

---

This one is kind of an experiment with rhyme structure and meaning. I would like to know what you think it’s about. I do have my own theory as to what this piece means.

February, 16th 2017

129 of 365

The Howlers

Just take the hand of another
Wherever the place takes you
Could fall into disparity
But given visions of clarity
Nothing could explain the howlers
Whether the case was real or true
They all brought their own vanity
Given to the point of insanity

Under the hand of another
Like a terribly cumbersome flu
Devoid of your known purity
As you find yourself in a nursery
Nothing could explain the howlers
Whether the case was fake or assumed
The walls amid a myriad of profanity
Showcase the intentions of humanity

---

February, 17th 2017

130 of 365

Can’t Be Fixed

Things will never go back to the way they were
Will they?
It ended with a flicker of a candle light
So simple and cold
Easy, like taking a life
The blame is not the issue but the taking
Whatever the reason, it is forever lost
Unwavering in its stance
Like New York’s liberty
Regretful as I am, I cannot dwell
I know you don’t
I know you too well
It’s the smarter decision
But there’s always one idiot
And that idiot is me

---

I saw the film Manchester By the Sea recently. Talk about a sad film. It's extremely well done and depicts an emotional state that isn't pressed on with films. I recommend this film to people who like well crafted psychological analyses in film. But bring some tissues. Anyway, this piece is very inspired by that film. For those who have seen it, you'll see a lot of parallels.

February, 18th 2017

131 of 365

More Than Three

I don't see hope anymore
I don't feel after that
That which shook my core
Equivalent to a relapse

I don't even feel lost
It's certain in its conviction
Time is the only cost
The oppressive decision

The ones I unjustly took
From my three lives
I couldn't help but look
At the fire burning so bright

A nightmare into reality
It's all I see in my vision
Those fruitful personalities
Were reasons for my living

Can you understand the loss
And knowing the reason why?
Those two logs that I tossed
Killed more than three that night

---

I saw the film Moonlight, and this poem is basically a tribute to it. If you're interested in that film, I do not recommend reading this. It has some spoilers (in my opinion). However, those who have seen the film will understand the references to the scenes I am depicting here. This is kind of a tribute to film's themes of self discovery and acceptance. It's a great movie.

February, 19th 2017

132 of 365

Was I Born This Way?

I don't know who I am
Was I born this way
Or did I pick this up then?
So many thoughts I can't say
So many that don't make sense

Just, just another hit
I have no one to tell
This is that good shit
The kind they don't sell
Like memories you can't forget

Because you and me
We're closer than that
The me that I can be
But couldn't stay intact
This place hates flamboyancy

I know you can adapt to this
I'll change all of those lookers
A few years of the clink will fix
This hardcore motherfucker
But I can't help... but reminisce

That time we shared our lips
The breeze that felt so good
If only I could ever wish
That wouldn't kill me in the hood
Until you gave me your kindest dish

I can accept myself now
You're here by my side
The only one that knew how
I felt on the inside
The only man who let me allow

---

Thank you so much for reading. Please let me know if you have any feedback, thoughts, or topics for me to write about.