35 Places You Have To Visit In Virginia

35 Places You Have To Visit In Virginia

Virginia is for lovers of nature, history, art, thrills, recreation, and most of all, it is for lovers of adventure.

94
35 Places You Have To Visit In Virginia

Much like the hit Hannah Montana song of 2008, Virginia truly has the "best of both worlds." The Old Dominion state has mountains and beaches. It is bursting at the seams with historical sites, but it is also rich with contemporary attractions. It truly has a destination for everyone. Here are 35 amazing places to visit in Virginia:

1. Busch Gardens (Williamsburg)

If you're looking for an adrenaline rush, this European-themed amusement park is perfect for you.

2. Virginia Beach Oceanfront and Boardwalk

The three-mile ocean front boardwalk is lined by restaurants and shops that overlook the beautiful beach.

3. Natural Bridge (Rockbridge County)

This breathtaking bridge was once known as one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the Modern World.

4. Water Country, U.S.A. (Williamsburg)

Beat the heat and humidity of Virginia with a day to this park that is home to over 16 water slides and rides.

5. Monticello (Charlottesville)

The home of Thomas Jefferson reflects his personality and genius.

6. Shenandoah National Park/Skyline Drive (Blue Ridge Mountains)

A visit here yields 105 miles of breathtaking views and hiking opportunities along the Appalachian Trail.

7. Chincoteague and Assateague Islands

These islands off the coast of Virginia are well-known for their wild ponies and pony swims.

8. Virginia Museum of Fine Arts (Richmond)

The VMFA is home to more than 30,000 works of art including pieces by Van Gogh, Picasso, Dalí, Matisse, and Edward Hopper.

9. Norfolk Botanical Garden

The 155-acre garden is home to many unique flowers and one of the largest collections of roses and azaleas on the East Coast.

10. Colonial Williamsburg

If you have not already been here for a field trip, this living history museum is a must-see.

11. Old Town (Alexandria)

This historic district along the Potomac is visited for its shops, history, and restaurants, including one where Barack and Michelle Obama had Valentine's Day dinner.

12. Virginia Safari Park (Rockbridge County)

Yes, you can even feed zebras from the comfort of your car in Virginia.

13. Great Falls Park (McLean)

This 800-acre park is only 15 miles away from our nation's capital.

14. Jamestown Settlement

Again, if you have not already been here on a field trip, then you have to visit the living history museum of the first permanent English settlement in America.

15. Luray Caverns

The caverns boast 10-story ceilings, beautiful pools of water, and huge stone columns.

16. Virginia Zoo (Norfolk)

Visit elephants, giraffes, and new tiger cubs!

17. Mt. Trashmore (Virginia Beach)

This park was actually constructed from a landfill! It has picnic areas, walking trails, and a skate park.

18. Maymont Park (Richmond)

Maymont is a 100-acre park made up of a historic estate and beautifully intricate gardens.

19. Bluebird Gap Farm (Hampton)

Who said that petting zoos are only for kids?

20. Virginia Creeper Trail (Abingdon)

An abandoned railway was transformed into a 34.3-mile trail perfect for hikers and bikers.

21. Great Dismal Swamp (Suffolk)

This National Wildlife Refuge is perfect for hiking, boating, and fishing. It is home to black bears, river otters, bobcats, and over 200 species of birds.

22. Byrd Theater (Richmond)

This cinema was built in 1928 and has been showing films ever since. The theater now shows new films as well as classics.

23. Mount Vernon

George Washington's estate is now home to many colonial-era buildings, gardens, and a museum.

24. Wintergreen Resort (Nelson County)

Wintergreen also offers off-season summer activities like hiking, golfing, summer tubing, and archery.

25. Wolf Trap National Park (Vienna)

The picturesque concert venue hosts an average of 90 performances per year ranging from pop, country, blues, and folk to orchestra, dance, theater, and opera.

26. Goochland Drive-In Theater (Hadensville)

Watch current movies old-school style.

27. Buggs Island Lake (Clarksville)

If you love water sports and the outdoors, then this is the place for you. You can spend your visit here water-skiing, swimming, fishing, sailing, camping, hiking, golfing, biking, and hunting.

28. Smith Mountain Lake (Bedford)

This is another great place for the outdoorsy type. Visitors can stay at a cabin or campsite or rent a lakefront vacation home.

29. Kings Dominion (Doswell)

This amusement park is home to one of the tallest and fastest roller coasters on the East Coast!

30. Lewis Ginter Botanical Gardens (Henrico)

It was voted the second best public garden in North America. It is home to the only domed Conservatory of its kind in the mid-Atlantic that is filled with over 200 orchids.

31. Arlington National Cemetery

This cemetery is the final resting place of over 400,000 active duty service members, veterans, and their families. You can remember and honor those affiliated with our armed forces by perusing the rows of white stones and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.

32. Virginia Beach Aquarium and Marine Science Center

This aquarium has over 800,000 gallons of aquarium exhibits. The exhibits, animals, and nature trails are breathtaking.

33. Smithfield Historic District

Smithfield is a charming town perfect for a more quiet getaway. The Historic District is home to many bed and breakfasts, shops, restaurants, a farmer's market and nature trails. You can kayak or canoe along the Pagan River or eat at Smithfield Station or the Smithfield Inn (a favorite of George Washington and Bobby Flay).

34. Backbay National Wildlife Refuge (Virginia Beach)

This place is a paradise for nature lovers and photographers. Most of the 8,000 acres of the refuge are located on islands. It is also home to many endangered and threatened species, like the Loggerhead Sea Turtle.

35. Canal Walk (Richmond)

This picturesque 1.25 mile walk through Downtown Richmond has monuments and exhibits showing 400 years of Richmond's history.

Virginia truly is for lovers. It is for lovers of nature, history, art, thrills, recreation, and most of all, it is for lovers of adventure.