33 Places to Visit in the St. Louis Area

If you're in or near St. Louis, you need to visit these places!

157
Bing Wallpaper

I was born and raised in the St. Louis area, so I know a thing or two about the "must-go" places around here. St. Louis has t lot to offer: indoor activities, outdoor activities, eating (and some foods that aren't made anywhere else), a rich history, running around like a kid, sports, theater, music, art, nature, beer, shops, and places completely unique to St. Louis. I've compiled a list of just a few forty-one places, you have to visit if you're in the St. Louis area.

1. Busch Stadium

It's best to go when the Cardinals are playing, and then you root for the best team in the Major League with the best fans. I've had some amazingly fun times there and in the old stadium. If you root for the other guys, that's fine, unless it's the Cubs... #gocards

2. Scottrade Center

This is the home of the St. Louis Blues, our awesome hockey team. If you haven't watched them play on our home rink, it should be on your St. Louis trip list. If you come when the Blues aren't playing, then there are concerts and various fun events held there.

3. Forest Park

Trails wind through the city here at Forest Park, but it has more to offer than just trails. The Jewel Box, the Zoo, the Art Museum, the Missouri History Museum, The Muny, Steinberg Rink all of which are must-sees even though I don't talk in depth about all of them. Pictured above is the Jewel Box which was built during the 1904 World's Fair which is known for inventing the ice cream cone, hot dogs, ice tea, hamburgers, and more.

4. St. Louis Zoo

The Zoo is beautiful and so much fun for all ages! It has animals of all kinds that live comfortable here in St. Louis. And the best part, it's FREE! I always go at least twice a year, even though my family and I have been doing that forever.

5. St. Louis Art Museum

Another of my favorites. It houses three levels of pure beauty and history, not to mention that the architecture is beautiful! Also, Art Hill lies just in front of the Art Museum and is a great place to sit on during nice weather, and during the winter when it snows, that's the place to be for some insanely fun sledding for kids and adults!

6. The Muny

The Muny closes in the winter and during bad weather; why? Well, because it's an outdoor theater. They put on plays, musicals, comedies, tragedies, but no matter the play, it's one great time. If there isn't a play going on, it's great to have a seat in that outdoor seating.

7. Steinberg Rink

During the winter, this is the perfect place for outdoor ice skating in the middle of the city. If you don't have ice skates, no worries! They've got you covered.

8. Missouri Botanical Garden

It's a garden in the city dedicated to growing and showing the St. Louis area the wealth of nature and of plants of Missouri. They have a greenhouse dome, Victorian gardens, and paths leading through all of their gardens and flower/plant beds.

9. City Museum

Many people are confused by the name, thinking it's a museum about the history of the city, but it's actually a giant jungle gym made of recycled materials in a recycled building with indoor and outdoor fun. The first time I went, I was in fourth grade, and the last time was a few months ago. Both times I had the time of my life! You get to climb around on pipes and in caves, on the roof; it's all one big art exhibit too that you get to climb and explore! People even have their wedding receptions there.

10. Anheuser Busch Brewery

Now, this is a classic. Who hasn't heard of Anheuser Busch, or Budweiser? It's a national brand, even calling itself "America" for a while during the Summer of 2016. So, who could visit St. Louis without visiting this historical and iconic brewery? At the end of the tour, if you're of age, you can drink a Bud, in the place it all started.

11. Microbreweries

Not only does St. Louis have a mammoth of beer production, but scattered across the area are microbreweries with tons of types of beers to offer. To name a few, St. Louis has Schlafly Bottleworks, 4 Hands Brewing Co., and Urban Chestnut. You can have a tour of their facilities and get to know how beer is made and how they create their unique flavors and get a taste of their beers. Afterwards, many of them can lead you to the restaurant attached to their brewery with great food and of course, great beer.

12. Ted Drewes

Ted Drew's is the home of frozen custard that you can turn upside and it won't fall out. It's a local business that's been around for a long time which speaks to it's delicious frozen custard. For those who don't know, frozen custard is like ice cream, but better (and thicker and creamer which means better). You would be remiss if you didn't stop by and get some of that renowned frozen custard. If you come near Christmas time, you can purchase a Christmas tree from them.

13. Imo's Pizza

You can get an authentic piece of St. Louis style pizza which is cut into squares and with crust as flat as a cracker and just as crunchy and made with St. Louis provel cheese. You can also get an order of toasted ravioli, which is native to St. Louis and sooooo delicious. It's a St. Louis staple.

14. Delmar Loop

Or as us locals call it, the Loop. It has restaurants (like Blue Ocean Sushi, Fitz's Root Beer, the Peacock Loop Diner, Blueberry Hill), clothing shops, a vintage record store, Iron Age Tattoo, a concert venue (The Pageant), and more that I haven't had the chance to visit yet. Most are even locally owned! #supportlocalbusinesses It's an awesome trip and just a few streets from Forest Park.

15. The Pageant

The Pageant, located in the Delmar Loop, houses awesome concerts! They have a bar for 21-and-upers. They upcoming bands playing at the Pageant include Southern Soul Assembly, Gene Simmons, Jay and Silent Bob, the Flaming Lips, Old Crow Medicine Show, and Milky Chance.

16. South Grand

South Grand, like the Loop, is full of restaurants and shops. There is a gelatoria (Gelatoria Del Leone), a Thai restaurant (Basil Spice), an Ethiopian restaurant (Meskerem), a sushi and Japanese fair restaurant (Cafe Mochi), a Moroccan restaurant (Baida), and those are only within a two block stretch. There is some cool and interesting architecture and shops galore. It's a great night no matter where you choose to go along South Grand, or if you go to all of everything!

17. The Fox Theatre

Plays and musicals are put on here in this gorgeous building! It's worth visiting just to look around. I could honestly spend hours in the bathroom there; it's beautiful and comfy (there are couches in there!). And that's just the bathroom! The plays are magnificent too! I've seenWicked and Phantom of the Opera there and I think we could run New York for its money.

18. The Gateway Arch

You're probably wondering why this came lower on the list. Is it because I didn't think of it right away? Well.... Yes, that would be correct, but I didn't think of it first because OF COURSE you have to visit the Arch when you come to St. Louis! It is the symbol of St. Louis (and it's the "Gateway to the West"). You cannot think of St. Louis without thinking of the Arch, and vice versa. Looking down at the river and the city is indescribable and riding up the egg shaped elevators is a thrilling experience as you feel the elevator climb or descend the bends in the arch. Just go! You have to; there's no arguing this one...

19. Gus' Pretzel Shop

This is one of St. Louis's many local gems! It makes the best soft pretzels and has been around since 1920. And is another lovely local business. #supportlocalbusinesses It's also right next to Budweiser Brewery, so after you throw back some Buds, you can munch on some delicious soft pretzels twists, sticks, bites, and more! I honestly could eat these pretzels all the time!

PS you get to watch them as they hand make their pretzels which adds to its awesomeness!

20. Cahokia Mounds

This one is a bit of a drive from St. Louis, but totally worth it! Cahokia Mound was a city built by pre-Columbian Native Americans, now near Collinsville, Illinois. There are several mounds with various functions on the site, but the one pictured, the biggest one, is where we all climb. It's an amazing day trip full of education, history, and fun.

21. Confluence Point State Park

This park is at the edge of the the confluence of the Mississippi and Missouri Rivers (or where the two rivers meet and the Missouri joins the Mississippi). I'm always mesmerized by the churning waters coming together. You can walk all the way to the edge of the water to gaze at the beauty of nature.

22. Soulard Farmers Market

Soulard, right near the Arch, is a wonderful, magical place. Local farmers come to sell their produce and goods along with imported goods and foods! It's open year around, Wednesdays through Saturday. All the produce is of great quality and worth just watching the vendors sell their wares! Look up the history of the place, it's really interesting and bit insane!

23. Shaw Nature Reserve

This one has a very special place in my heart. I grew up going here and even volunteered with the horticulture department for a summer. It's in Gray Summit, right off I44 and is dedicated to planting and promoting only native Missouri plants. The reserve is 2,400 acres of trials that wind through forests, prairies, ponds, and that wind to the Meramec River. While you're there I highly suggest stopping by Pacific, which is full of fun shops and restaurants and history! So after a relaxing hike at Shaw, grab some food and fun in Pacific!

24. The Magic House

This is a great one for the kiddos! They can explore working/playing in careers with a section that is a little city all kid sized, they can climb up a beanstalk like Jack, they can feel the wonder of static electricity when they place their hand on the static ball. Basically, kids are having fun without noticing that they're learning! It's all in a house too!

PS I've gone there and especially as a kid, I thought that place was magic. It was a place built for me, a kid, not adults.

25. Meramec Caverns

One of the many caves in Missouri and a natural wonder. It was also a hideout post of the infamous Jesse James. Thousands of stlagtites and stlagmites cover the caves and create beautiful structures that can be reached by hiking the well-lighted, guided trials through the 4.6 mile cavern system. You can also learn a seven story high or deep (not sure which way to phrase that), limestone mansion was built all underground. Plus it's cool all year long and is a welcome treat during the humid, hot summer months.

26. Grant's Farms

Grant, as in Ulysseys S. Grant, worked the ground here and you can see his historic home there. There's a petting zoo, pony and camel rides, shows, and a Bauernhof, or a courtcard with food. The Busch family, as in Anheuser Busch, lived on the grounds there.

27. Purina Farms

This is a few miles from Shaw and is also is Gray Summit and yes, like the dog food. The farm is where dogs, and cats, compete. Major competitions are held there. You can also just visit and see all dogs, cats, horses, cows, chickens, pigs, and bunnies. You can climb on some hay bales, play in a corn box (like a sand box but with dried corn). If you go at the right time, you can even milk a cow.

28. The Moolah Theatre

This is a local movie theater in St. Louis. They have only one theater room. "Why?" you ask. Well, because instead of normal movie theater seats, they have comfy couches! It's like being at home watching a recently released movie on a huge screen. There's also a bowling alley attached to it if you feel like playing a game or two!

29. Science Center

The Science Center helps people learn science while having tons of fun. There's an I-Max theater with awesome documentaries. It also allows kids to experience science, not just hear about it. They can walk under a moving t-rex, power a rube goldberg machine that winds through the building, and feel an earthquake (simulation of course).

30. Six Flags

I have been here more times than I can count. There's a water park as well as roller-coasters. Some roller-coasters are hardcore like Superman Tower of Power, Batman, Mr. Freeze; others are perfect for those faint of heart adventurers. I promise you'll hear (or makes) some screams of joys and go home with some tangled hair.

31. Lemp Mansion

If you like haunted houses, then this is for you. The Lemp Mansion and the Lemp family's history is riddled with turmoil, death, and suicides as the Lemp family lost their wealth. The Lemp family owned the first St. Louis lager brewery, called Lemp Brewery, from 1840 to 1920 (PS the brewery is also supposedly haunted), but as sons kept dying, from mysterious conditions or from suicide, their wealth diminished. The sister, Elsa, also committed suicide. After the brewery sold, another son committed suicide while another son died from a self-inflicted gunshot wound. Many of these deaths happened inside the family mansion. Now, you can go visit the house, which is a restaurant and inn, so if you're feeling brave you can stay the night.

32. Hollywood Casino Amphitheater

Outdoor concerts are the best concerts! You can sit on the grass or on seats; the seats are closer to the stage, but grass seats are cheaper. Some past bands include Journey, the Doobie Brothers, Panic at the Disco, Brad Paisley, and Weezer. Coming up: Luke Bryan, Chicago, Muse, Boston, Styx, REO Speedwagon, One Republic, and Sam Hunt.

33. Lone Elk Park

At this park, you can hike or drive. But one unique thing about this Missouri Park is that deer, elk, and bison roam in it. The trials don't lead to the bison's living areas, but the road does. So, you can sit in your car while bison walk by. They also allow people to fish the lake in this conservation area! The land is beautiful and the animal life even more so!

This is just a taste of what St. Louis has to offer, so you know you're in for a good time when you visit!