33 Obvious Signs You Grew Up In Puerto Rico

"Nací en latitud perfecta donde tuesta el sol y la lluvia refresca" - Cultura Profética

1000

Puerto Rico is a great place to have grown up in. From the pristine beaches to the enchanted rainforest to the amazing food, there is plenty for others to be jealous of. If you were born in Puerto Rico or raised Puerto Rican, there are some things that we all know to be true.

1. This is more than just a shoe

Image courtesy of sofritoforyoursoul.com

2. You know better than to talk back to your parents

3. You started drinking alcohol when you were 15 or 16

4. You can speak “spanglish”

5. You would fast before lunch or dinner at your grandma’s house

Image courtesy of pinterest.com

6. You can’t help but sing every time you hear the song “Preciosa”

7. You would go to the beach every weekend

8. And the beaches usually looked like this:

9. And this:

10. You miss the ocean whenever you aren’t around it

11. It baffles you when people consider a lake a “beach”

12. You are very passionate about the island’s politics

Image courtesy of wordpress.com

13. More specifically, the island’s status

14. And you know not to bring up politics at family parties

15. You know what this means

16. You know that the roads are the things in between potholes

17. You clap when your plane lands

18. You know there’s no sleeping in on weekends…weekends are a time for cleaning

19. You're loud

20. Driving somewhere that's an hour or more away is always a big deal

21. You do not understand how people can live without "mayo-ketchup"

22. And you make sure to enlighten everyone on what it is

23. You ate rice and beans every day

24. You don't understand how people can cook without "sofrito"

25. This was the remedy to all maladies

Image courtesy of mamaslatinas.com

26. You were raised on Goya products

27. This is what your plate looked like during Christmas

Image courtesy of pinterest.com

28. You know what a "parranda" is

29. And you've been on at least one

30. You're used to breathtaking views like this:

31. And this:

Image courtesy of flickr.com

32. And this:

33. You wouldn't want to have been raised anywhere else