31 Halloween Movies To Watch This October

Just a convenient list.

268
Jack Skellington

Ah, yes. Falling leaves, excuses to wear cardigans and drink pumpkin spice lattes...

Ladies and Gentlemen, it is finally October

— which means that it is now socially acceptable to break out all genius Halloween-oriented cinematic masterpieces and have yourself a wonderful night. Now, it can be a struggle to gather the best of the best in one place, but hey — I've got your back.

Without further adieu, enjoy a fine mix of horror and nostalgia as you plunge into the list, and do not forget to enjoy boat loads of candy if you so choose to have a Halloween binge watch of your own.

1. Coraline (2009)

Coraline is as amazing and whimsical as it is terrifying. Simply perfect for Halloween.

2. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)

There's something warm and nostalgic about this book-made-movie in general. But it takes the cake for festivity in this scene.

3. All of the Halloweentown Movies (1998-2006)

You knew this one was coming.

4. Haunted Mansion (2003)

The Haunted Mansion ride at Disney is everything eccentric and macabre and amazing. But director Rob Minkoff's inspired movie has become a classic over the years.

5. Corpse Bride (2005)

No surprises here. Just great cinema.

6. Kiki's Delivery Services (1989)

If you're feeling for a witch movie without committing to a movie like The Craft. Miyazaki is nothing short of imaginative and beautiful pictures. My girl Kiki does not disappoint.

7. Edward Scissorhands (1990)

Don't be fooled by the Ice Dance. This is a Halloween movie by all means. — Don't forget your tissues for this one.

8. Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)

It's just a jump to the left...

9. Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Johnny Depp is in like... all of these movies. Not complaining.

10. Don't Look Under the Bed (1999)

Seriously one of the most underrated Disney originals to date. Creepy and nightmarish as it is quirky and clever. Larry is my spirit animal to this day. But for all that is good — hide your head under the covers.

11. Halloween (1978)

The namesake says it all.

12. The Addams Family (1991)

da da da dum *snap snap*

13. Hotel Transylvania (2012)

Director of both Dexter's Laboratory and Samurai Jack created this rendition of the infamous Dracula's struggles through fathering his teenage daughter. I put off watching this one for a while but if you like silly humor, Halloween festivities, and feels — give this one a chance. Steve Buscemi is in it.

14. It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown (1966)

'NUFF SAID.

15. Ghostbusters (1984)

Who you gonna call?

16. Under Wraps (1997)

As cheesy as this one is, it's a Disney Original gem.

17. Michael Jackson's 'Thriller' (1982)

Thriller is many things... An iconic music video, a catchy as hell song, a complex and groovy dance — but never you forget. It is a Halloween classic

18. Mickey's House of Villains (2002)

When all the Disney Villains take over Mickey's House of Mouse, everything goes to shit. But I swear — this anthology has some of the most whimsical and creepy af segments. I still love this one and I didn't realize it wasn't as popular as I thought it was. Let this scene of piglet obviously walking in with the villain squad let you know that this movie's nothing short of badass.

19. Donnie Darko (2001)

Rotten Tomatoes claims this one to be a "daring original vision, packed with jarring ideas and intelligence" ...if that isn't the very essence of Halloween, I'm not sure what it is.

20. Stranger Things (2016)

Okay. It's a show, but I liked to think of it as an intensely long movie. An extremely remarkable, scary and intriguing movie. It's a notoriously bad ass and amazing.

21. Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)

Don't forget this one.

22. Nightmare Before Christmas (1993)

Stop-motion animation is a Halloween staple.

...and the emo kid in me loves this movie to pieces.

23. The Babadook (2014)

Stephen King says this one is "Deeply disturbing and highly recommended. You don't watch it so much as experience it." What does that tell you?

24. Scream (1996)

A classic slasher film. Totally festive for halloween.

25.Casper (1995)

Don't forget about ya boy Casper.

26. Trick r' Treat (2007)

I really don't need to explain myself for this one, do I?

27. The Crow (1994)

Okay, so he may look like the lead singer of your favorite goth band. But trust me, this one's a good one.

28. The Conjuring (2013)

You'll need some good and new horror on this list. While I think that the Conjuring 2 (2016) might have been an even better movie, I certainly think James Wan has been a powerful mind in terms of the Ed and Lorraine Warren movies he's done.

29. Beetlejuice (1988)

A comedic, fantastical film. Winona Ryder is in almost all of the films I'm listing but I'm more than okay with that.

30. The Shining (1980)

THE SHINING ALL DAY

31. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Last, but certainly not least: Hocus Pocus. An remarkable OG that we hold dear to our hearts — especially on the 31st of October.