30 Movie Protagonists You Have to TRY to Like

Bella Swan, Harry Potter, Rose Dawson, etc

15
YouTube

1. Rose DeWitt Bukater/Rose Dawson Calvert from Titanic (1997)

After abandoning her mother, fiance, and her last realistic shot at surviving, she lets her impossible lover, Jack Dawson, sink to the bottom of the Atlantic Ocean.

2. Allie from The Notebook (2004)

Noah is never good enough in the eyes of Allie's parents and isn't worth giving up her life for, not even after he constructs her dream house by hand.

3. Jack Sparrow from the Pirates of the Carribean series (2003-2007)

A failure of a pirate who somehow stays alive when everybody wants him dead.

4. Veronica Sawyer from Heathers (1988)

So I guess it's still okay to like someone even after they low key start blackmailing you into becoming a murderer. It's fine.

5. Gale Hawthorne from the Hunger Games series (2012-2015)

The best friend, coal miner who never stops loving Katniss, even after she "marries" Peeta. He could do a lot better.

6. Cady Heron from Mean Girls (2004)

Goes from being the nice, white girl from Africa to being the biggest bitch in the entire school. She may have surpassed Regina George on the popularity scale, but sacrifices her regards for African culture in her tight-knit family, turns on her first two quality friends, and starts a drug dealer rumor about Tina Fey, not cool.

7. Kenickie from Grease (1978)

The personified definition of a greaser; a crude-humored, sexually-charged, rebellious youth. Yet he is a dependable friend and Danny's right-hand man.

8. Jay Gatsby from The Great Gatsby (2013)

You aren't cool until you throw the biggest house party of the century, which you don't even attend. Insanity and emotional instability at its finest.

9. Everyone from The Breakfast Club (1985)

10. Scarlett O'Hara from Gone with the Wind (1939)

I never knew spoiled and self-centered could survive the Civil War. She wants the man she can never have.

11. Jenny from Forrest Gump (1994)

Good thing Forrest's "magic shoes" could "take him anywhere" because Jenny sure was hard to keep up with. From getting kicked out of college to drugging it up for anti-war protests to almost jumping off a balcony, Jenny could've saved herself from a lot of shit if she had just stayed with Forrest.

12. Lightning McQueen from Cars (2006)

The racecar who lets his cockiness and ego get the best of him, sacrificing his easy win of the Piston Cup. Only regaining everybody's respect and becoming a true winner when he helps The King finish his final race after an accident.

13. Cher Horowitz from Clueless (1995)

If you think that popularity can solve every one of life's problems, I've just got one thing to say to you "As if!"

14. Anakin Skywalker from the Star Wars prequel trilogy (1999-2005)

The only dude ever to go from the Chosen Prophetic Jedi, conceived by the force to defeat the Sith, to an evil, old guy breathing obnoxiously behind a mask

15. Sharpay Evans from the High School Musical trilogy (2006-2008)

Ok, we get it, you're fabulous. but you will never deserve Zeke's crème brûlée.

16. Ferris Bueller from Ferris Bueller's Day Off (1986)

Skipping school was cool until someone decided to wreck their best friend's 1961 Ferrari 250 GT California Spyder.

17. Wendy Torrance from The Shining (1980)

Can I get a "your husband is going insane and your son is saying murder backwards, do something about it, woman"

18. Buzz Lightyear from Toy Story (1995)

Buzz is pretty much just Mr. Steal Your Girl in toy form.

19. Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz (1939)

Maybe this stressful, drawn out journey of a dream all would have been avoidable if Dorothy hadn't run outside in the middle of a tornado.

20. Ariel from The Little Mermaid (1989)

I can write a three-hour long song about why it sucks to be a human, but she sang a three-minute song about not wanting to be a mermaid, I don't get it. Also, just a helpful hint: it's probably not in your best interest to trust an evil octopus woman

21. Chunk from The Goonies (1985)

The butt of all his friend's jokes. The loud, obnoxious compulsive liar who is unable to anything right except for finding dead bodies when looking for ice cream.

22. Buttercup from The Princess Bride (1987)

The farm-girl turned princess who almost kills herself after supposedly losing her "As you wish" lover Wesltey and having to marry a prince with the last name Humperdinck.

23. Tris Prior from the Divergent series (2014-2016)

A Dauntless, meant to protect the remaining population of the futuristic dystopian city of Chicago, who literally causes the death of everybody around her.

24. Frodo Baggins from the Lord of The Rings trilogy (2001-2003)

The hero who is always running away from something, crying, or passing out.

25. Katniss Everdeen from the Hunger Games series (2012-2015)

The face of victory in the arena and the symbol for the rebellion who can't even make up her mind over which boy she loves.

26. Harry Potter from the Harry Potter series (2001-2011)

Always breaking the rules without receiving real consequences, most often in the wrong place at the wrong time, and continuously endangering the lives of all his friends, yet he stays alive, because he's Harry Potter.

27. Baby from Dirty Dancing (1987)

Who couldn't fall for the dirty dancing Patrick Swayze? This rich, goody two shoes falls in love, learns to dance, and gets Johnny Castle fired.

28. Bella Swan from the Twilight saga (2008-2012)

What emotion will Bella express next? Confusion? Pain? Sadness? I love Edward?

29. Elle Woods from Legally Blonde (2001)

Sorry, but there is no way Elle could've gotten into Harvard Law School. And all for a guy who wasn't even worth it in the first place? At least she met Emmett.

30. Elliot from E.T. (1982)

Note to self: if a little brown alien gets lost in your backyard, don't feed it Reese's Pieces, but if you do, don't let your parents find out, but if you do, don't let the government find out...unless you have a bike that can fly.