3 Wild animals that can end up as ornaments

Wild animals

10

Wild animals are said to live far away from man. They are not the kinds you see around the house or living among people. Possibly because most of these animals are naturally dangerous or thrive best in their natural environment which are most times extinct areas, far from human habitation.

Most wilds animals are usually dreaded. But it doesn’t always have to be about their dangerous sides, there are still positive things to do with these species. And just to clarify, it's for some, not all.

Snake

Snakes are reptiles of several species, with elongated bodies and smooth slippery skins. Snakes are highly dangerous venomous animals. But their skin is a very useful raw material for making ornaments like jewelry, they are also used for bag making, as well as clothes and hats.

Snake skinning is a complex process that requires the right expertise to carry out the task. Once the snake is killed, the skin can then be peeled off. This is done carefully because the muscles are tightly attached to the skin, so it requires extra time and patience. Using a small knife, the skin is carefully separated from the muscles and then pulled until it is completely removed.

Once the skin is off, it is then rinsed in cool water to remove the blood and any attached particles like fat or flesh. Once dried, it is ready to be used for different purposes. Some necklace pendants and earrings are made from snake skin.

Leopard

The beautiful pattern of the skin of this animal makes it suitable for use as ornaments. Leopards are carnivores found in countries like China and India, and a major part of sub-Saharan Africa. Their coat varies according to species, giving different styles of the animal skin which are all characterized by their common irregular spots.

In the processing of Leopard skin, curing is a very important step. It helps to protect the freshly-harvested skin from attack by organisms and in that way preserves them for longer periods.

The animal is first skinned before all the meat and fat are removed. This process may take a lot of time since it is ensured that no piece of meat is left attached to the inner skin. The outer skin is also cleaned properly. The membrane covering the skin makes it difficult for salt to penetrate so it is removed in the process. The skin is washed to rid it of blood and dirt and then soaked in a salt solution for about 5 hours or,for better result, overnight.

When the skin is removed from the solution, it is flattened on a clean surface and salt is sprinkled on it while making sure that the fresh parts are properly reached. The skin is then left to dry for some days before is processed into the form that it is needed.

Leopard skin is now popularly used for making Christmas tree decorations. These types of decorations are very unique and beautiful. Asides from using the skin for ornaments, it could also be used for making clothes and shoes. Given the uniqueness of the animal skin, these products are usually expensive, especially if it is the actual real thing.

Sharks

Sharks are marine animals with a good dentition which vary depending on their mode of life, foraging characteristics, habitat, among several others. Their teeth have multiple rows that are attached to the jaws by connective tissue. One way to make good use of this animal is to harvest its jaws and preserve them. Shark jaws, when they are properly preserved, are beautiful ornaments that can sit prettily in your home.

There are a lot of processes involved in harvesting shark jaws. Using a filet knife, the shark is skinned by making some cuts along its length from the back of its head to its tail. After skinning the shark, the jaw is then extracted, and the flesh on the back of the jaws is gently scraped off to the point where the flesh attaches to the cartilage.

The skin is cured and scrapping continues to remove any remaining meat that is left on the skin, then it is secured to a board using small nails. The skin is spread over the board, nailed down at the many ends, and salted to preserve it. If the jaw is extracted on the beach it has to be preserved in a bag and placed in a cooler to keep it moist. The jaw can also be kept in the fridge to prevent it from getting rotten.

The jaw is further cleaned with either Clorox or hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water. It is soaked in the mixture for about a day to make the jaw whiter and soften any meat that is still left on the jaw so it can be easily scraped off. The jaw is then rinsed with water and secured to a board using strings and nails to keep it in place. It is salted, to prevent it from smelling and then kept on a sunny shelf, or anywhere that it can be exposed to sunlight.

When the shark jaw is dried, it is cured and cleaned off using sanding paper to remove any remnant of flesh left on it. It is coated thinly with crystal enamel to make it shine, and also with Acrylic clear coat varnish. It is allowed to dry for about 30 minutes, and then is finally ready; the dreaded shark tooth and jaw becomes a beautiful ornament

Wild animals may not be regular objects for this type of experiment, but that doesn't take away the fact that there are beautiful things to get from these animals. These are not things you regularly find on a wildlife documentary or reptile show but they are real. However, these crafts are better done by experts who are familiar with the process. Also, poaching these animals for the purpose of using their skin or any other body part may be a criminal act in several countries.