3 Tips to Successfully Completing Your Internship

You got this!

688
Unsplash

With the end of the semester approaching quickly, it's almost time for summer vacation! For some of us this means laying in bed and watching Netflix for two months, but for others, it's the start of a summer internship.

I am currently completing a semester-long internship, and it's been an eye-opening experience. I've learned so many new skills and have gotten a taste of what life after college will be like.

Like so many others, this was my first internship and I was extremely nervous at the beginning, which is totally okay! It's difficult to enter a new place where everyone is older and more experienced than you, but the reason why we take on internships is to make mistakes and learn from them.

Through my experience, I have gathered a list of my top three tips to keep in mind when taking on your first internship:

1. Communication is key

If you're having a work-related issue or you can't make it in because you're sick, make sure you communicate with your supervisors. Sending them a quick e-mail or slack message with your concern will do the trick! I was personally nervous about how my supervisors may respond to me, but they are there to help you out and are very understanding. They were once a college student too, so they get it. If you don't communicate, there will be misunderstandings and will reflect poorly on your character.

2. ASK QUESTIONS!

This is the most important tip of them all. The reason you are completing this internship is to gain experience and skills and learn from your mistakes. If you're stuck on something or have a simple question, just ask! Your supervisor is there to help you learn. I message my supervisors all of the time with questions on topics and how to complete certain tasks. Without asking questions, you simply won't learn. It's a part of life.

3. Manage your time

This concept has been the hardest for me, but I'm doing pretty well. It's easy to get overwhelmed with schoolwork, extracurriculars, your social life and your internship on top of it all. Life in college is just one big time management game. Budget your time to make sure you can complete all of your important tasks for the day. Use a planner or even Google Calendar to keep track of your events and assignments that may be due for school and your internship. It's the only way to get through the day.

Every college student should complete at least one internship throughout the course of their college career. It looks great on your resume, it'll help you get an inside look into the future and help you decide what you want to do with your life. Don't be nervous, ask lots of questions and make a great impression. Good luck!