3 Things you Learn going from Blue to White Collar

The Journey from Minimum Wage to Yuppie

21
The Jeeves Effect

1. Other people will accuse you of calling their job "not real."

While preparing for my co-op, I excitedly made a Tumblr post that detailed how much I was looking forward to having a "real job" after years of working menial labor for minimum wage. Of course, it being the internet, someone immediately complained that I didn't have a right to call some jobs "not real." Their logic, which I agree with, is that as long as you get paid to do something, it's a real job.

The funny thing is, it feels the opposite. After 6 years of "not real" jobs in fast food, warehousing, landscaping and retail, it does feel surreal to be earning a living wage, wearing comfortable clothing, not getting injured every day, deciding whether I want to sit or stand, and doing something I want to be doing. My point is, that's the opposite of what should happen. Basic human decency and comfort should not feel surreal. When I say that I am in a "real job," I mean that I am finally in a place where I am treated like a real human being with real feelings and real experience and my skills and opinions are taken seriously. I am paid a real wage, not the $8.50 an hour employers pretend can cover the cost of living.

The idea that anyone can have a career in these jobs without becoming bankrupt financially or emotionally or becoming burned out is a fantasy. That is what is meant by not real.

2. You will worry that you're going to lose sight of your humble beginnings and that you will begin to look down on service workers.

I remember the first time I walked into a fast food restaurant after quitting my stint at McDonald's. I felt I had triumphed over the beast that is the fast food industry, proving that I am not a slave to its commands any longer. I recognized that anyone still on that journey is fulfilling their indentured servitude, bound by their unique life circumstances and unable to be set free until and unless those circumstances change. But the more time passed, the less camaraderie I felt with them. I became afraid that as I distanced myself from service jobs that I would become one of those customers that we all despised, the ones we would complain about as soon as they left: snappy, impatient, disrespectful, and inconsiderate.

So often people that work white-collar jobs believe that their jobs are more important than the people they receive services from on a daily basis (despite the fact that if their garbage collector or entire staff a coffeeshop disappeared for a week it would probably have a far greater impact on the daily lives of regular citizens than if White Collar Joe didn't show up to his job). I vowed to never become like that. But the more you distance yourself, the easier it is to forget and the easier it is to get impatient. Things like being able to sit down, going to the bathroom whenever you want, getting a drink whenever you want, being able to eat when you want, and not having to spend all day sweaty are all things I had once wished for in previous jobs the same way you wish for a private island or a million dollars.

Now, I don't even think about it. Now, I take for granted the endless free coffee that comes pouring out of a machine, and as I take a break in the kitchen to get a change of scenery from my own private desk that I once relished, I no longer get irritated at coworkers that complain about the quality of free coffee. Taking simple pleasures for granted is the slippery slope to entitlement that seems far too difficult to avoid.

3. Relationships with people are still important.

In the service industry, making friends or at least acquaintances you can be friendly with feels like life or death. If you forget to request a special day off (or you get scheduled anyway) or you get sick, if you don't have a friendly relationship with a few coworkers you can call up and ask to cover, you're SOL. Doing a mundane job for hours upon days upon weeks on end without anyone to chat with and the same songs playing over the PA feels like it will slowly drive you insane. And there's no better way to feel better about an especially mean customer than commiserating.

Going into an office job, you might feel like you just want to focus on your work, that you don't need anyone else and that you don't want to get involved in office drama. But working an eight hour day gets so much easier when you have people to share coffee breaks, lunch hours, and after-work drinks or dinner with. If a third of your time and more than 75% of your effort and energy goes towards your workday, it's worth putting in the upfront effort to get to know the people you're sharing it with.

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter exactly how much money you make, how flexible your hours are, or how comfortable your office is. What truly matters is the relationships you make with people and if you feel good about the work you do. You might not feel like you're doing good for the world selling fries and burgers to a customer, but they were going to order it anyway so if you can make their day better in the process then that's enough reason to feel good. And when you're ready to leave the service industry behind, know that it hasn't been for nothing. You've gained perseverance, determination, patience, flexibility, people skills, and most importantly, perspective. As you journey forth into the professional realm, these are skills that you'll always be able to take with you.