3 Things You Can Do Right Now to Prevent a Car Accident

Over a seven year period, AAA estimates that road rage has caused 218 murders and more than 12,000 injuries

Car accidents can be deadly. There are 1.3 million deaths per year around the world due to car accidents. Let that sink in. There are over 3,000 people dying every day because of car accidents. And while cars are safer, there are other factors leading to car crashes.

Road rage, for example, is on the rise.

"Over a seven year period, AAA estimates that road rage has caused 218 murders and more than 12,000 injuries," states https://www.mooreandhedges.com/.

There's also the concern of distracted driving increasing.

So, what can you do to prevent a car accident?

1. Put Down Your Smartphone

Smartphones are a major distraction. People are texting and driving more than ever before. There are also issues with social media and making calls while driving. It takes a split second for a person to get into an accident.

You need to put down your smartphone and start paying attention to the road.

If you can't get yourself to do this, there are other options:

And there are a few more, too. These apps will allow you to keep your attention on the road while driving instead of becoming distracted while driving.

Statistics show that 25% of all accidents are now caused by smartphone usage while driving, so use these statistics as inspiration to keep your eyes on the road.

2. Check and Replace Your Brakes

If you can't stop properly, you're at a higher risk of being in an accident. Brakes are your vehicle's lifeline, and if they fail, you're likely going to be in an accident. It's important to have your brakes checked regularly.

Scraping noises are an indicator that you need new brakes, but older vehicles may not have these indicators.

The scraping noises occurs when your pads are down to 2.5mm.

Don't wait until you hear grinding like most car owners do. Instead, you'll want to visually inspect your brakes and have your mechanic inspect them often. It's much cheaper to replace brake pads than it is to replace your car.

3. Follow the 3 Main Basics

When you step into your automobile, you're always at risk of getting into an accident. There is some risk involved every time you drive. But what happens before you start the engine is often able to reduce your risk of an accident.

Before you begin driving:

• Check your tire pressure and inflate as needed
  • Clean your windshield to boost visibility
  • Clean or replace headlights
  • Adjust your mirrors properly

The goal of your mirrors is to allow you to eliminate blind spots when driving. Blind spots are when a vehicle disappears from your rear-view mirror and you can't see it in your side mirror just yet.

And if you use your mirrors and try switching lanes, you'll end up in an accident.

You should always look before switching lanes, but with the proper mirror adjustments, you'll reduce the number of blind spots you have. Always look before changing lanes, and never rely 100% on the mirrors in your car to see another vehicle.