3 Things I Love About My Hometown

3 Things I Love About My Hometown

1325
3 Things I Love About My Hometown

Going off to college far away from my hometown made me realize how unique my hometown is. I was born and raised in El Paso, Texas, and have lived there my entire life. While I wanted to go out and explore another part of the country, I found myself at times missing the place where I grew up. At times it seemed like everything changed when I moved to Philadelphia for college, some for the better, but some for the worse. Here are three of the biggest things I missed from my hometown while I was away at college:

1. The food.

There is nothing quite like authentic Mexican food, which I was shocked to find is scarce in other parts of the country. I would come across pictures of food from local restaurants while I was idly scrolling through my social media newsfeed, and my mouth would water. One restaurant that is unique to El Paso is Chico’s Tacos, known for their rolled tacos covered in cheese and served in a spicy tomato sauce. The local favorite was featured on Food Network’s “The Best Thing I Ever Ate” with Aaron Sanchez, chef, restaurant owner, and El Paso native. There simply is nothing else like it, and it will not be found elsewhere. In addition, Texas is known for its barbecue, and there are plenty of barbecue restaurants around that offer the best steak and hamburgers you can find. Barbecue outside of Texas is just not as commonplace. Other Southwestern favorites include Whataburger and Dairy Queen. El Paso’s food was undoubtedly what I missed most of my hometown.

2. The culture.

El Paso's Hispanic culture was really the only culture that I grew up knowing, and over time has become something that I truly value. My naïve and younger self did not realize that the United States population is vastly different from the El Paso population, one in which I became extremely comfortable. Moving far away from it has brought with it a bit of a culture shock, and is requiring some adapting to. In addition, El Paso is known for being one of the friendliest cities in the country, consistently ranking among the cities with the lowest crime rate year after year. One visit to the city and it is immediately apparent why. Whether you are at the airport, at a restaurant, or out shopping, you might be surprised to find how polite and amicable the people of El Paso are. This is something that I took for granted all 18 years that I lived here, and I was met with quite a shock when I witnessed firsthand how rude people on the East Coast can be. From small things such as not being greeted or acknowledged when speaking to someone, to larger things such as turning on the news and seeing the type of crime that takes place on a daily basis, I missed the feeling of security and being greeted kindly and with manners everywhere I went.

3. The sports.

While it cannot boast any major sports teams, El Paso is home to the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) Miners, the El Paso Chihuahuas, and the El Paso Rhinos. Growing up, I would always support Miners football and basketball and go to games with my family, and recently when it was announced that El Paso would be hosting a minor league baseball team, I instantly became a fan and have enjoyed attending baseball games this past summer. Although I am not much of a hockey fan and have not been to a Rhinos game, I know that they are a local favorite of hockey fans in El Paso. Even though Philadelphia does have major sports teams, their teams are some of the worst in their respective leagues. Being from Texas and growing up a diehard Dallas Cowboys fan, I have despised the Philadelphia Eagles ever since I was a little boy. Back in El Paso, I was able to wear my Cowboys jersey with pride and confidence, and watch the games with my family at home.

Being away from it all is difficult, but learning to adjust in a totally new place is another fun experience all on its own.