3 Things I've Learned From My Long Distance Relationship

I've come to learn and appreciate all the aspects that come along with our relationship.
1028

This coming June will mark my three year anniversary with my girlfriend. We've been in a long distance relationship the entire time which has come with many challenges but also many beautiful experiences.

Through our almost three years together, I've come to learn and appreciate various aspects that come along with our relationship. I've had many "light bulb" moments where I've realized how much I appreciate the little things that this relationship has taught me. Here are three things that I've come to love about being in a long-distance relationship.

1. Airports are equally the most exciting yet saddest places.

Flying to your significant other is riveting; butterflies explode in your stomach and you can't help but continuously check the time. Once you land and reunite with them, it's like you never left. When the visit comes to an end, whether you're watching your significant other walk away or you're in line at security, there's guaranteed to be tears. The number of times that TSA has seen me cry is more than I would like.

2. You get to meet new people.

Through being in a long distance relationship, I've met some pretty incredible people. I've met part of my girlfriend's family and her friends; even though it's nerve-wracking, because you want to get along with everyone, you're most likely going to get along since you're important to your significant other everyone in their life is going to be excited to meet you. By meeting others, not only does it create a sense of acceptance and community but it also allows you to talk to connect with the people in your significant other's life.

3. You learn to really appreciate and value the time you spend with others.

Since you can't constantly be with your significant other, you grow to appreciate the time you spend together. My visits with my girlfriend are normally 5-7 days (unless it's summer) and so during that time we stay up late and get up early in order to check everything off our to do list. I never let go of her hand and more often than not I'm staring at her trying to memorize every inch of her face.

I've come to appreciate the small things as well, like the smell of her laundry detergent. Sometimes, in the sad moments when you don't know the next time you'll see the one you love again, you hang on a little longer and hug them a little tighter.