3 Reasons Why Change in College is Necessary

The secret of change is to focus all of your energy, not on fighting the old, but on building the new.

70
Hannah Mayne

Change can be defined as, “To make the form, nature, content, future course (of something), different from what it is or from what it would be if left alone.” This very definition is essential to surviving college. From changing your major to changing your habits, to changing relationships, it is vital in growing as a person while attending college. Even if change results in the gaining of new people and the loss of others, it is a step in helping you become the person that you wish and are meant to become. Here are 3 reasons why I have changed in college and have grown as a person doing so.

1. Lifestyle

Coming from a very small and rural town to a much bigger city has had a major impact on my lifestyle and how I go about my day to day routines. I went from knowing everyone in my community to not knowing a single person, which was quite a transition, to say the least. Though I am someone who loves to meet new people, attending a campus with over 10,000 students (a population almost doubled the size of my hometown), did create some major lifestyle changes that I had to accommodate to. College isn't just "going to school," it's a lifestyle. From preschool to senior year of high school, it was mandatory to attend, but in college it becomes a lifestyle of choosing if you wish to attend classes, how you set up your schedule, all because you are paying to be here. A major lesson I have had to learn to come out of my comfort zone daily. If I am planning to change the lives of those around me, then what would I be able to accomplish by just staying in my own little bubble? Daily life in college requires taking risks, running with them, and allowing them to completely change your life for the better in so many ways that it is almost unimaginable.

2. New Opportunities

The new opportunities that arise while attending college are endless. From clubs that range from Quidditch to Criminal Justice Society to Geology Club, the possibilities are never ending. From changing your major many times because there are just too many awesome ones to choose from or the new classes that come every semester with new lessons, people, and abilities to be creative, opportunities are always knocking on your door in college and it is in the best interest to take advantage of them whenever possible.

3. New People

The new people I meet every single day are definitely my favorite part about attending college. From the amazing friends that I’ve made, to the strangers I talk to daily or to the random stranger who let me take his seat on the shuttle instead of making me stand, they have made the entire transition into college much easier than I would have ever thought. The new people who I am able to meet daily make the hard days easier and the amazing days shine even brighter, from a simple “Good Morning” and smile from a stranger to someone who holds the door open for me, there are some pretty awesome people in college. My favorite thing about the people is that I see a new face every single day, meaning a new story, a new background, a new system of beliefs, and it is such an eye-opening experience. I have met people from all across the US to people from China, Africa, and even Greece, and hearing their stories and experiences is truly a life changing experience.

I have often been told daily from friends, family members, and most often professors that life is too short to stay stuck in one place, which is why college is the perfect time to figure out what you wish to do for the rest of your life. From creating new friendships and relationships to changing majors, this is the time to explore, challenge yourself, and create memories that will follow you throughout the rest of your life.