3 Quotes To Help One With The Current Political Climate

Shedding light on individuals who delineate positivity, knowledge, and compassion in their messages

391
Euclid Public Library

It appears as the November election of Donald Trump ignited a change in political climate throughout the nation. A individuals, anti-Trump and Trump supporters alike, begin to turn to acts and words to project their opinions and ideologies in response to various policies, law changes, media, the Super Bowl, immigration, Planned Parenthood, the list could continue. As the views depicted by individuals with varying political ideologies, religions, social class, and gender evidently differ, the rhetoric throughout the nation remains divisive- The following quotes reflect my hope for US citizens, as I hope they will use their energy to move forward with tolerance, knowledge, and respect for the nation- and one another.

1. "The essence of America - that which really unites us - is not ethnicity, or nationality or religion - it is an idea - and what an idea it is: That you can come from humble circumstances and do great things." -Condoleezza Rice

Although America could be illustrated as America the divided. Despite the prevailing faults within our country, I still admire the individuals who depict the hope America represents. I am by no means disregarding the current political, environmental, and social problems the US faces- however, when I view individuals who depict the American dream there is no ethnicity, nationality, or religion. Rather, I see Dado Bonatao, a entrepreneur and engineer from the Phillipines who moved to America and prospered within the start up industry. I see my mom, who was the first woman in her family to graduate in her forties- doing so with two teenagers and a full time job. I see Jerry Yang, a programmer from Tawian who became the founder and CEO of Yahoo.

2. “I have spent a lifetime looking for remedies to all manner of life's problems -- personal, social, political, global. I am deeply suspicious of those who offer simple solutions and statements of absolute certainty or who claim full possession of the truth. Yet I have grown equally skeptical of those who suggest that all is too nuanced and complex for us to learn any lessons, that there are so many sides to every thing that we can pursue knowledge every day of our lives and still know nothing for sure. I believe we can recognize truth when we see it, just not a first and not without ever relenting in our efforts to learn more. This is because the goal we seek, and the good we hope for, comes not as some final reward but as the hidden companion to our quest. It is not what we find, but the reason we cannot stop looking and striving, that tells us why we are here.” - Madeleine K. Albright

With the easy access to social media, it has become more common for individuals to proclaim their standpoint- sharing news articles, memes, photos, vocalizing their political commentary or conveying their own solutions to current issues, I observe individual's efforts to disregard new information or information differing from their opinion. The first female secretary of state expresses the significance of making an effort to learn more. Additionally, I believe the quote is important to recognize for all differing individuals, whether we agree with the controversial policy changes or proposed laws.

3. “We can reject everything else: religion, ideology, all received wisdom. But we cannot escape the necessity of love and compassion.... This, then, is my true religion, my simple faith. In this sense, there is no need for temple or church, for mosque or synagogue, no need for complicated philosophy, doctrine or dogma. Our own heart, our own mind, is the temple. The doctrine is compassion. Love for others and respect for their rights and dignity, no matter who or what they are: ultimately these are all we need. So long as we practice these in our daily lives, then no matter if we are learned or unlearned, whether we believe in Buddha or God, or follow some other religion or none at all, as long as we have compassion for others and conduct ourselves with restraint out of a sense of responsibility, there is no doubt we will be happy.”

As an individual raised by parents who enjoyed embracing other religions and cultures as well as to see all human beings equally- it pains to me to see the prevailing segregation, lack of understanding, lack of empathy, and lack of compassion individuals depict in their rhetoric. The current political climate is substantially divided- between muslims and non muslims, the BLM movement and the Back the Blue movement, the LGBTQ community, Trump supporters and individuals who are anti- Trump, Democrats and Replublicans- the nation remains divided as individuals lack the recognition and understanding of the significance diversity has within America. Moreover, as we continue to drive this hateful rhetoric in social media posts, I believe practicing compassion rather than being consumed by the negativity of the political climate will not only be beneficial for yourself- but for the nation in it's entirety.

Again, I am not disregarding any political policies or hardships Americans are facing today. In the incredulous and discernible hate filled rhetoric to the pronounced negativity within American politics. My wish is not to undermine the current issues in US politics, rather, I wanted to shed light on individuals who delineate positivity, knowledge, and compassion in their messages to tie together our divided and negative nation and drive US citizens to articulate understanding and the sharing of knowledge.