3 Things To Pray Over Our Country Before You Do Anything Else

"This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to his will, he hears us." (I John 5:14)

143
Kelsey Kloss via Elle Decor

As Christians, we always want to stand up for what’s right. Of course we do. Of course we want to speak out against injustice. Of course we want to defend our beliefs. It’s in our nature to seek the truth in all things, to shine the Light of Christ in our dark world, which, presently, seems to look a little darker every day.

But, is it just me, or has it gotten a little harder trying not to grow weary?

The world is angry, and I’ve never seen our country so divided. Every story has two sides and a hundred interpretations, and it’s hard to know what to think and which ones to trust. It feels like there’s some kind of ideological war going on across so many different issues—within a week of each other, two protest march groups took to the streets supporting, basically, opposite sides of the same issue (among others)—and whichever side you stand on, you feel like whatever you say will only be adding to the fire when all you want to do is put it out.

So how do we put it out?

In our own power alone, it’s not going to happen. But we know there’s One who can transcend all the limitations and misperceptions of human minds and go straight to the heart of the issue (Isaiah 55: 8-9). And He gave us a direct line of communication that we can (and should) use without ceasing (1 Thess. 5: 17). But are we?

All the ways in which we're fighting the good fight are important because that means we haven't given up standing up for what's right. But it's so important to remember the most valuable and powerful resource we have, and that's prayer. Our relationship with God should be the foundation of our fight for what's right. Before we do anything else, we should pray—for our leaders, our government, and all the people of our country—because, despite the attempts to trivialize it, when we make it a priority and earnestly bring our cares to God, there's power in prayer.

Here are three things we can pray over our country:

1. Influence

Pray God's influence over our leaders, our government, and ourselves. Amid opposing, and extreme, opinions of our new leadership, we can pray that God influences them to make decisions according to His will.

"For kingship belongs to the Lord,
and he rules over the nations." (Ps. 22:28)
"I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for all people—for kings and all those in authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all godliness and holiness." (I Tim. 2:1-2)

2. Favor

Although there's so much fear and confusion in our country right now, we can be confident in asking God for favor. He promises to protect His people and to hear our prayers. So, let's set aside the fear and pray for God's protection and favor over our country and its people.

"If my people who are called by my name humble themselves, and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and heal their land." (2 Chron. 7:14)
"Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus." (Phil. 4:6-7)

3. Discernment

Right now, it's so difficult to know what to believe and what interpretations of the truth to trust—and sometimes, which side we should even take. But since God is all-knowing, and in Him, we can have the mind of Christ (1 Cor. 2:16), we can ask God for discernment, for the ability to see the difference between what's right and what's wrong.

"They will have no fear of bad news;
their hearts are steadfast, trusting in the Lord." (Ps. 112:7)
"He changes times and seasons;
he deposes kings and raises up others.
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to the discerning." (Dan. 2:21)

So, let's keep fighting the good fight. Keep acting on your faith, keep speaking up, keep writing and informing yourself and loving people. But most of all, remember to keep praying. Because God's will is greater than our own, and he always hears his people.

"Rejoice in our confident hope. Be patient in trouble, and keep on praying." (Romans 12:12)