3 Horror Classics For The End Of Summer

3 Horror Classics For The End Of Summer

Flipping the script on the villain

28
3 Horror Classics For The End Of Summer
warrenisweird

I have no particular order in my ranking of these movies. They are basically all on the same level.

1. Scream

I absolutely love this movie. Yeah some of you might think this movie isn't that great but its a classic horror movie. I have still seen people dressed up as Ghostface. I saw this movie when I was younger and I was scared of it but I appreciate it now. The soundtrack adds to its appeal. Music really supports a movie and Wes Craven is aware of its importance. He almost makes very lovable characters and are relatable characters. I want to believe I if was ever in A scream type situation I would be the main protagonist Sydney Prescott but unfortunately I'm probably more like her best friend Tatum (spoiler) who in the end die. I love a strong female character and that is definetly provided in the scream franchise. Sydney Prescott is a badass. Also its the type of movies where you think you know who the killer is but then you second guess yourself. Its not the most obvious choice. The screenshots are done well . I love the shot when ghostface kills the principal and you see ghost face in the eye of the principal. I may be slightly obsessed with this movie I watched it for the last 2 months of high school. I honestly don't know why but I watched it every night. Don't question senior year Raven. She was sad.

2. Death Proof

This is an underrated Quentin Tarantino Film you have to watch. If you love a strong female power like in Kill Bill you should check this one out. This cast is almost all women and they are all different types of women. These women are something to look up to in the sense of they never back down. The roles become reversed when the women decide to chase the villain. I am a big fan of Tarantino films; a lot of his films are filmed in Texas. The first part of the film is filmed in Austin and they have some references to many local attractions. Also if you really love Tarantino films, he has several little gems which are similar things from his other movies. Like most of Tarantino's films the editing and the way it is shot is very interesting. The editing reminds me of a 70's camera. Also he makes an interesting choices to have one part in black and white for a old scene. He continues to use good music; it has an older feeling to it but you can still dance to it.

3. The Devil's Reject

This is somewhat sequel to Rob Zombie's movie House of 1,000 Corpses. The characters are very similar but the shooting and the era of each movie is completely different. House of 1,000 corpses is a classic but I favor The Devil's Reject more than the original. Rob Zombie picked amazing songs to go with this time. He picked these upbeat 70s songs to go with these murderers who are literally slaying people. It is one of those new films that look like it was shot back in the 70's . The editing is excellent. You don't see that many freeze frames in movies and I love it because they do it in spot where they are murdering people and it is a bit campy looking. The last shot of the film is them driving on this long desert road to the song Free Bird by Lynyrd Skynyrd. They edit it to go with the beat of the song and ironically its just so beautiful. They do a lot of area shots and its gorgeous . They also highlight on the Otis's light eyes and make the viewer rethink these awful characters . This is a very interesting film because the people in the film are horrible sadistic people but the way Rob edits the film you end up feeling bad for the murderers. When the script flips on them and they are being tortured, you don't want them to get hurt. Then they start to show shot of them just as a family and you totally forget they have mutilated so many people.

With a few weeks left of Summer you should check out some of my favorite movies. Tell me what you think of them or what your favorite movies are.