3 Advantages To Living In A Small Town

3 Advantages To Living In A Small Town

To Magnolia, thank you for shaping me.

640
3 Advantages To Living In A Small Town
Ashley

Being from a small town has its advantages and disadvantages. Going out of state to college I get asked 24/7 where I am from because of my "accent," and when I say Magnolia, AR, 9 times out of 10, I get the "Huh?" response. Magnolia has a population of approximately 13,000, and so does my college in Ruston, how fun! Anyways, moving away from everything that I knew for 18 years has taught me so much and I would like to share those wonderful words of knowledge with you all.

1. You know everyone living there.

Growing up in Magnolia, everyone knew me. Whether it was by my mom, my grandparents, or other people I associated with, I always had some random person come up to me and ask me how I was. Of course, I smiled and answered, but the fear in the back of my mind of who the heck was talking to me and how they knew me was always there. Once I got older, I always had those connections so whenever I had to sell something or I needed something, I rarely ever struggled. However, I also never had a secret. Everybody knew everything about me at all times, and even sometimes before I knew myself. Ugh! Now, going to a college where nobody knows me, I feel free and new. I can finally be myself and not be judged for anything, it feels incredible. On the other hand, I do sometimes miss people talking to me every time I go somewhere and being well-known around the community.

2. There is never anything to do.

In Magnolia, there is nothing to do. When I was younger, we had a movie theater and it was always "poppin'" but something tragic happened and it went bye-bye. That was a terrible thing for Magnolia, but things happen, so oh well. During my high school years, there was never anything to do. On the weekends, if nobody threw a party, we literally sat at home and watched movies all the time. Yes, Eldorado and Texarkana were just right up the road but that was extra money that was being spent for gas. So, in conclusion, Magnolia was "dry" and all the teens were bored majority of the time. However, that did create less trouble for us, some money was saved, and we all learned to love each other more making it an advantage in the eyes of some.

3. The town spirit is tremendous.

Besides our private school, we have one high school and one college in Magnolia. Our high school is the panthers, our college is the Muleriders, and our private school is the Crusaders. Believe it or not, Magnolia, Arkansas is one highly spirited town. Win or lose, the community stands behind its teams 24/7 and supports them in every sport, every game, and every fundraiser they do. Everywhere you go, you will see some type of sign or poster that has a Panther, a Mulerider, or a Crusader on it. Also, every time you turn around, someone is trying to sell you something to support one of those teams and you always end up doing it because you just love them so much. In a big town, that's not always the case. Yes, the Bulldogs are very much loved and supported and successful and every other verb you want to describe them as, but it is a college team and that seems to always be the case in those situations. But don't get me wrong, I'm ever loyal blue and that will never change.

Although I have learned much more, I feel as though those 3 are at the top of my list. As much as I complain about my hometown and I never want to move back, I am proud of where I came from. Growing up in Magnolia has shaped me into the person I am today and I am forever grateful for that. I love going home to visit and seeing all the wonderful adults and young kids that I have grown to love, but I also have fallen in love with where I am now. No, I may not live here forever... but for now, I am content with where I have landed.