Your freshman year of college is an exciting and confusing time. You have to transition from your home life to a spot outside of your comfort zone. The year doesn't come with a manual, and it's a learn-as-you-go experience. Luckily I took some notes that might help a few of you as you take step into a new chapter of your life.
1. As a freshman, don't wear your lanyards.
You don't want to be recognized a freshman, trust me.
2. Or the shirt they give you showing you are a "Freshman".
I mean if you're cool with it, wear it!
3. If you think you were tired in high school you'll be getting a slap from reality in college.
Take time to nap after class, you'll thank me later.
4. Coffee is your friend.
And during finals coffee is your best friend.
5. Once you skip one class, it'll be hard not to skip more, so make sure you go!
I know your bed is comfy but class is important!
6. Hold the door open for people.
Surprisingly, there are a lot of kind people on campus, be one of them.
7. NO ONE CARES ABOUT DRAMA, GROW UP, YOU'RE IN COLLEGE NOW.
No one really cares about who did what and where.
8. If you know people from home, that's great but try to make new friends.
You need to get out of your comfort zone and this is the perfect time to do it!
9. Upperclassmen are usually very nice!
Seniors in high school, not so much.
10. You need to study. You won't pass on "last minute", I promise you.
11. Make time for yourself.
It's important that you take a step back and watch some tv, meditate, or have some fun.
12. (Contrary to popular belief) Some professors actually care about you passing.
Just as long as you show you care as well.
13. Wear flip flops in the community showers (They're pretty gross).
Yes, people pee in those.
14. Thank your crossing guards EVERY DAY.
They are there to make sure you get to class safe and on time.
15. Dropping a class doesn't make you dumb, it can actually be a great opportunity to focus on your other classes.
Just don't make a habit out of it.
16. Don't be afraid to email your professor, most of them encourage it.
They are always there to help and they have office hours to meet up with them.
17. Try not to be in a relationship when you go into college. Usually, it never works out.
Sometimes distance is too much.
18. If you happen to be in a relationship, communication is important.
Using Skype, Facetime, texting and phone calls help a lot.
19. No body cares about how you dress.
This is not an invite to go walking around naked, though.
20. Be careful of parties, fun doesn't always mean safe.
Make sure you don't go over board.
21. Sororities and Frats can be a great way of making friends, but it can be costly.
Just make sure they're not as fake as their eyebrows
22. A resting bitch face does not mean the person is mean!
They could be stressed, tired, or just having a bad day!
23. Use the gym! You'll feel so much better.
The gym is a great way to stay on top of the "Freshman 15" everyone seems to get.
24. The freshman 15 isn't completely true. If you let yourself go and become a slob it is.
Try to eat healthy, if possible!
25. There is bound to be a dollar tree near by.
It could be your best friend or your worst enemy, spend wisely.
26. Don't buy plastic forks/spoons and paper plates! Buy something you can use over and over!
Cleaning your dishes isn't actually that bad.
27. Your first semester will be the hardest semester, so don't be upset if your GPA doesn't represent how smart you know you are.
It takes time to adjust to your classes and what is expected of you.
28. A lot of people will make a big deal out of finals, but to be honest they aren't that bad.
If you're behind on your work, and you didn't go to class they will be hell, though.
29. Get out of your comfort zone! This is your time to shine!
It's okay to be shy but don't let it stop you completely. This is the time to make friends, memories, and to learn about yourself!