27 Struggles Only Type 1 Diabetics Can Relate To

The questions, the emotions, and everything in between.

5417
The Dale Tribe / YouTube

Type 1 Diabetes is an autoimmune disease that targets young souls and innocent hearts. There is no cure, even though we're always told there will be one in "five years." This disease is painful, exhausting, and misunderstood by a lot of people. So here is a list of distinctive struggles you will definitely be able to relate to if you have Type 1 Diabetes, and hopefully, after reading (and maybe even laughing) you won't feel so alone.

1. When your pump tubing gets caught on a door handle.

Bonus points if it completely rips your site out.

2. When you forgot juice and all you have is glucose tabs.

Force 'em down.

3. "Does that hurt?"

Come here, let me poke you and you tell me if it hurts.

4. When the pharmacist tells you your prescription has expired.

You know there's no cure, right? So like, I'll need these prescriptions for the rest of my life, right?

5. Not knowing why you're high.

Carb count, anxiety, stress, adrenaline, site failure... could really be anything.

6. Hating the feeling of being low.

That 15-minute rule is a lie. Takes me a solid 45 minutes to feel better.

7. Not knowing where to put your pump in a dress.

Get yourself an aunt who sews pump pockets into your dresses. Perfectly convenient.

8. Medical IDs.

You'll get reprimanded if you forget to wear it.

9. Having to pee 97 times an hour during a high.

Paired with an unquenchable thirst that lasts for like 32 years.

10. "Wait, can you eat that?"

Clearly, you've decided that I can't. Even though I can.

11. Running out of insulin at the most inconvenient time possible.

Always about to leave the house when it happens.

12. Bleeding during a site change.

Either taking an old one off or putting a new one on. Especially if it's been more than three days (which it always is).

13. You can tell how many carbs is in something by just looking at it.

You're practically your own doctor.

14. Endo Appointments.

Has it been three months already?

15. Not being able to concentrate on homework because of your blood sugar.

The focus struggle is real.

16. Not being able to fall asleep because of your blood sugar.

The relaxation struggle is real.

17. Managing diabetes when you're sick.

So close, but yet...

18. AICs.

They're like a second GPA. "I'd like to see you in the 7s next time."

19. "Oh my god, I could never do that. How can you just like, stick needles in yourself?"

Well, it's a better alternative to, you know, DYING. Does it really look like I have a choice? Really? REALLY?

20. Accidentally poking yourself.

An unexpected shot of pain from your finger poker or site needle is the worst.

21. Sitting through classes when you're having a bad disease day.

I just want to take a nap.

22. "My great-grandmother's cousin's neighbor's daughter's cat has diabetes. They died."

Please tell me more about how this relates to me. Bonus points if they confuse it with type 2.

23. Ketones?

Yes, doctor, I checked for ketones every time my blood sugar was higher than 250 and no I didn't have any at all.

24. Feeling your pump fall out of your pocket when you get out of the car.

Pray that you just get a painful and unexpected tug on your site. Bonus points if the tubing gets disconnected.

25. Finding used test strips everywhere.

Test strips. Test strips everywhere. Please tell me you're familiar with this diabetic meme from Toy Story. It's a classic.

26. Responding to "How's your day been?" in numbers.

Well you see, I was 304 so I gave myself 5.63 units and now I'm 58 so I had 32 carbs then after my nap I was back up to 142.

27. Saying "I'm high" in a public place without a second thought.

Yes, we know what it sounds like. No, we don't really think it's funny. Yes, we would like you to experience the exhaustion of having a high blood sugar too. No, this is not possible because you have a functioning pancreas. Oh well.