25 Tips For Attending The University Of North Dakota

Get ready for frostbitten apendages, hockey games, and college life.

289
YouTube

The University of North Dakota is obviously the best school in North Dakota, but you probably already know this by now- hints the idea that you're reading this. If you're reading this and you're a incoming Freshman, then you're in luck. But if you're still attending UND, you probably already know some of these tips; but regardless, y'all would benefit from this:

1. Get to know your roommates

First and foremost, before you're moving onto campus, you're going to be living with these people from the get-go. It's best that you get to know your roommates and go over what is expected of each other and what should be allowed. I know that the first week your RA will send you request to fill out a "Roommate Agreement". With this agreement, if anything goes wrong, they'll look at what was said and go from there if there is an issue. So for real, fill it out with honesty. And don't say that "Katie can only be happy on Wednesdays and when hockey season starts," or use slang words like: Yo dog, sup, or word.

2. Allow your course load to be manageable but still challenging

This may sound contradicting, but think about it for a second: if there's a specific class that you know will be difficult try to incorporate another class that will allow you to relieve some stress. For example: ballroom dancing or basket weaving.... Yes, I said basket weaving... Not joking.

3. Attend Class

Do I need to say anymore? Especially 8 AMs, I know they're basically as terrible as a Gopher fan, but humor me and still go to class.

4. Be active in class

If you don't understand a topic, it's best to ask upfront. Or sit in the front row to hear the professor better. Ask questions, even though your classmates may hate you for it; do it, because odds are the ones that are making jokes are the ones that are too afraid to speak up.

5. You don't need to decide your major right away

You are 18, and you have four years to decide what you want to do with your life. But just be aware of the classes you'll be taking and if a possible major would need it for an Essential Studies credit. Best advice is: take your generals first and incorporate interesting classes (but keep it to a minimal of 2 obscure classes).

6. Meet with your advisor

Regardless if you have your major planned out or not, meet with your advisor throughout the year. Over the four years, they'll become your therapist.... And if you go forth to Graduate School, he/she will be a great resource for a recommendation letter or etc.

7. Get your book ASAP

Get your books as soon as possible so you're not scrambling last minute. Plus, you can read though it and add possible notes in the margin before classes start.... If you're a nerd. I don't have a problem with used or new books, but some people do. It's your decision and preference.

8. Research your professor

It's a good feeling when you walk into your first class having an idea of what's expected. Of course look at the syllabus for what's expected of the class, but look up the professor to see what you should expect of him/her as person/instructor. Are they great at lectures? Do the even speak English? Do they grade harshly? See, your mind is already thinking about this.

9. Get to know your professor

While we're talking about professors, it's also best that you get to know them too. If you take the initiative to reach out to them, it shows that you're really interested in understanding the material. Heck, I've had a friend get an internship because they had built a strong relationship with their professor.

10. Read and keep your syllabus

Literally this is your life line. Do I dare say anymore?

11. Manage your time wisely

Realistically, your education is your career. Treat your classes as a job and dedicate 40/week for your classes. You're in lectures for about an hour per class so subtract that from 40 and that should be the amount of hours that you should be using towards studying outside of classes. Trust me child.

12. Get to know your RA

Truly, my RA was literally the coolest RA I've ever had. Don't be afraid of your RA because they're there to help you. If she asks you to get lunch or dinner with her, go with her. Your RA is basically your automatic friend- kinda. S/O to Bridget on 3rd floor in West.

13. Truly consider the size of your dorm

PLAN. PLAN. PLAN. Plan all the positions of every single thing. Also reminder, you're living with another person so be aware of what they might be bringing up. Also, talk to your roommates to see what they'll be bringing.

14. Get familiar with the campus

Don't be afraid to walk around campus to see where all your classes will be before they start. You'll probably get lost the first few days, but that's totally normal. Plan out how you'll be going from class to class so you know how much time you can manage to get there if you're in a rush.

15. Whatever you do, attend the organization expo

I know you're probably going to think that it's annoying and it's only for Freshman and that puts a target on you but who gives a flying frog. I had gone to it, and was being 'recruited' for the women's club rugby team. I turned it down, but now I'm wondering if I would have liked it.

16. Join an organization

You watch the typical college movies, and you'll see Sororities and Fraternities left and right. That's the same with UND and Frat/Strat Row on Uni Avenue. But I'm not saying you need to join a Frat or Sorority, but at least join a club sport or a major based club. Be active on campus really is what I'm trying to say.

17. Surround yourself with good people

Be aware of the people you surround yourself; make sure they're truly there for you and have your best interests at heart. The relationships you build now are going to be your family away from family.

18. Beware of parties

Obviously getting a minor sounds like a piss poor idea. And calling your dada that you got a minor sounds like a fantastic story to share to your family when you go home for Christmas Break. Nothing is better than disappointing your family and yourself... (that was all sarcasm.. you can laugh). But honestly, it's a terrible idea to get a minor due to the possibility that you could be kicked out of you major. I'm not saying don't go to parties, but just be a little bit more cautious of what you're getting yourself into.

19. Know the services that UND has to offer

It's a difficult transition into college (I would know) and if you're struggling in classes, mentally or physically, know that there are ample resources that are provided for you and are FREE (Wow, something that's finally FREE in college). The Student Health Center and McCannel Hall are there for you. As well as the tutoring centers on campus.

20. Go to the Wellness

Or better known as S'wellness, it's the perfect facility that offers great resources as well. The facility has a weight room, rock wall as well as exercise and cooking classes. But more importantly many forget that it serves as a place to keep you physically, mentally, and spiritually healthy. I mean, let's be real, the "Freshman 15" is real.

21. Go to all sporting events possible

I know the hockey games are great, but so are football, basketball and so forth. Show up and support your classmates and have pride in UND athletics. I know that the Women's Hockey Team was just cut due to funding sooo, think about how much your support means.

22. Your BlackBoard and Campus Connection will be your life line

It's a fact of being a student.

23. Get ready for the irrational weather

You think I'm joking about the weather being crazy? Uh nah, get use to frostbitten appendages and snow in May. Or flooding in the Spring. You betcha, you'll be sandbagging in the Spring...

24. Know why you're attending UND

The education should be your main priority. If it's not, then maybe you should re-evaluate your life. You're paying good money to go to a great school, so you better get the education that UND will offer.

25. WE ARE THE FIGHTING SIOUX

END OF STORY.