25 Things All Restaurant Workers Know To Be True

"Can I get you all anything else?"

152
Michael Norris

We've all been out to eat at a restaurant before. But, unless you have worked in one, you will never truly know what it is like to be behind the scenes in the food service industry. Working in a restaurant can be very fun. However, there are also some moments that can get a little crazy. Here is a list of 25 things you know to be true if you have worked in a restaurant.

1. You Always Tip 20% At A Restaurant

You know what it is like to work in a restaurant and you know how terrible it feels not to be tipped. Everyone, please tip your servers.

2. You Have Heard The Same Customer Jokes Over A Hundred Times

You: "Can I get you all anything else?" Customer: "A million dollars! The winning lottery ticket numbers!" Oh... the same old jokes time and time again.

3. You Know How Chaotic A Dinner Night Rush Can Be

You're a pro by now if you've been working at a resturant for a while.

4. You Spend Most Of Your Weekends At The Restaurant

When you finally get a day off, you don't even know what to do with yourself.

5. You Have A High Heat Tolerance

What finger prints? Oh, they have probably burned away from the hot plates by now.

6. You Never Have An Exact Ending Time For Your Shift

You're just off whenever you are finally cut and checked out. That could be done at 9:00pm or 11:00pm or sometimes even later. You just never know.

7. That Feeling When All Of Your Friends Are Working The Same Night As You

This is when you know it's going to be a good night.

8. You Have Yelled "Corner" or "Behind" In Public Before

You just hope no one heard you.

9. You Carry A Lot of Dollar Bills

Always have that cash flow (a.k.a. tip money).

10. You Know The Feeling of Working Several Double Shifts In A Row

Oh, five doubles in a row? No problem.

11. You Rush To Eat Any Order Mistakes

"Hey, there are extra nachos in the kitchen if you want some."

12. You Make Sure To Keep Smiling Even When You're Weeded

Can't let them see you crack under pressure.

13. You Know What "Being Weeded" Means

Definition: When you are overwhelmed with the amount of tables you have and/or the tasks you need to get done.

14. "WE NEED RUNNERS!"

You're probably used to hearing this in the middle of a rush.

15. You Can Hold Multiple Things In Your Hands

Carrying three plates is crucial.

16. That Awkward Moment When You Drop Something In The Middle Of The Restaurant

It's okay. It happens to the best of us.

17. Knowing The Struggle Of Trying To Get Through A Crowded Area With Trays or Food

You just hope you don't spill anything on anyone.

18. Being Able To Recite The Entire Menu

Every single item. Every single description.

19. Having A Table Come In 4 Minutes Before Closing Time

Well... we technically aren't closed yet.

20. Having Interesting/Funny Stories To Tell In The Future

Sometimes you have some interesting interactions with people while working at a restaurant. At least you have plenty of stories to tell.

21. The Dreaded 86

86ing (or being out of) a certain item can sometimes cause chaos.

22. Wearing Non-Slip Shoes Can Save Your Life

Non-slips might not be the most fashionable, but they will keep you from face planting in the kitchen.

23. Smelling Like The Restaurant

Yeah I know I smell like burgers... please don't remind me.

24. The Rest Of The Restaurant Is Like A Second Family

Your coworkers become like family to you.

25. Knowing That Working At A Restaurant Has Given You Many Life Skills

Working at a restaurant can give you many skills to use later in your life. Communication skills, patience, and working with a team are just examples of a few.

Working in a restaurant can get a little hectic at times, but overall it is great learning experience for many. Don't make assumptions about resturants and their staff until you have been in their non-slip shoes.