25 Things Every Young Adult Should Know

25 Things Every Young Adult Should Know

As told by NY Times best-selling author Harry H. Harrison Jr.

5774
25 Things Every Young Adult Should Know
clipsuper.com

The other day, I was cleaning out my desk drawers and came across a little red book called "1001 Things Every Teen Should Know Before They Leave Home (Or Else They'll Come Back)", by NY Times best-selling author Harry H. Harrison Jr. Every year, millions of teens are unleashed into society. Young adults think they're ready to live on their own, but studies show 50% of them will move back home in five or six years. From changing the oil to applying for jobs, the adult world can be overwhelming and terrifying. Even though this book taught me a lot, I'm still learning from it. You never stop learning. If I listed all 1,001 items in this book, this article would be at least 100 pages long, so I chose 25 of my favorites.

1. They should know the media are selling them on a lifestyle that is essentially unattainable.

2. They should know the world is filled with unreasonable people. And they may work for one of them.

3. They should know to show up on time. For interviews. For class. For work. For relationships. Show up late says they're goobers.

4. They should know that they can now be personally sued for their stupid actions.

5. They should know employers care more about a college degree than where the diploma is from. Most CEOs of the biggest corporations didn't go to prestigious schools.

6. They should know to always send their resumé in the body of an e-mail, not just as an attachment.

7. They should know to think long term. Success doesn't happen overnight. It often takes years.

8. They should know the keys to promotion are ambition, creativity, and the ability to grow on the job.

9. They should know they can save a fortune by cooking. Their kitchen isn't there to just store beer.

10. They should know that basing their happiness on how they compare financially to their friends is a sure ticket to misery.

11. They should know where "the money" is so they don't get stuck in a loser career and have to move home.

12. They should know jobs like a college professor, financial adviser, psychologist, human resources manager, and an editor, among many others, all require at least a bachelor's degree and they all have an annual pay of over $500,000.

13. They should know to never sign a long-term lease on a place under major renovation that can't be occupied on a specific date.

14. They should know neighbors can steal the signals off their high-speed wireless internet. Pass-code everything. Or make a deal with the neighbors.

15. They should know to have the utilities turned on the day they move, or key things won't work: lights, air conditioning, appliances, water heater.

16. They should know one of the great things about a house-warming party is that friends will help unpack boxes as long as they can drink and eat.

17. They should know that bankruptcy produces an extraordinary amount of stress, tension, headaches, digestive issues, sleep deprivation, and misery. And alcohol and drugs won't help.

18. They should know to not worry about being alone. God has plans.

19. They should know that seeking perfection in a mate will assure them of a lifetime of loneliness and disappointment.

20. They should know the great thing about the dishwasher is that it can be used to clean toothbrushes, oven vents, knobs, hairbrushes, trays---anything that's bacteria laden, gross, and fits inside. *just don't wash them with the dishes because that's gross and your mom will probably yell at you.

21. They should know constant worrying can lead young people to develop shingles. Yeah, I didn't know either.

22. They should know it's easy to lose focus in a Home Depot. Don't go in looking for a socket wrench and leave with a riding lawn mower.

23. They should know consumerreports.org rates on every car manufactured since 1997. They can learn if a car's beauty is only skin deep.

24. They should know the most successful people rely on divine intervention.

25. They should realize failure can lead to maturity.

If interested in buying this book, click here.