25 Things About You Didn't But Should Know About Pennsylvania

And also a few stereotypes.

437
thinkprogress.org

I've lived in Pennsylvania my entire life. I've only left a few times to go on vacations or drives. When I started college, I met people from outside of PA. I have never been asked so many questions about living in this state that I have lived in my entire life. So, I've decided to answer those questions and destroy typical stereotypes about living in Pennsylvania.

1. We rarely actually call it Pennsylvania. It is always PA because let's be real, who actually wants to say the entire name all the time?

2. PA is composed of more cities than just Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, and Harrisburg. There are so many small towns, it's easy to get lost.

3. Just because I live in PA doesn't mean I'm entitled to like any PA teams...I am a Yankees fan afterall.

4. No, I don't like the Philadelphia Phillies...or the Eagles...or the Flyers...and yes, you guessed it, I also don't like the 69ers.

5. I probably say Lancaster, Lebanon, and Schuylkill differently than you, and I will argue with you because I live here, you don't.

6. I'm not entitled to love Philadelphia cheesesteaks because cheez-wiz is gross.

7. Chicken pot pie is NOT an actual pie. Sorry to break your heart.

8. I am not predetermined to go to Penn State...clearly, because I go to Alvernia.

9. Whoopie pies, shoo fly pies, and apple dumplings are delicious.

10. I say "soda," but other Pennsylvanians may say "pop." It's the same thing.

11. Also, a crick is the same as a creek. A ruff is the same as a roof. Vater is water.

12. It's Wawa vs Sheetz state wide. Pick a side and pledge your undying devotion.

13. Most common hit-and-runs are with deer because those little punks just love to jump in front of cars.

14. POTHOLES, POTHOLES, POTHOLES. NO SMOOTH DRIVING HERE. SORRY.

15. If you've never seen a horse and buggy, you haven't been to Lancaster County.

16. We still laugh over our own town names like Intercourse, Blue Ball, Rough and Ready, Bird-in-Hand, Breakneck, and many more...the Amish are a strange population.

17. The Amish and Mennonite are DIFFERENT.

18. Tastykake, Turkey Hill iced tea, Utz potato chips, Lebanon bolgona, scrapple, birch beer, chipped ham...just some PA delicacies.

19. Jimmies = sprinkles. Dippy eggs = eggs over easy. Hoagies = sub sandwich.

20. Hershey Park, Dorney Park, Baseballtown. Enough said.

21. It's pronounced "ying-ling" around here.

22. The south says "y'all." We say "yinz" and "youse."

23. The first day of hunting season is a holiday to most. Some schools and businesses close just for the occasion.

24. Pennsylvanians don't "go to the beach," we "go to the shore."

25. Pennsylvanians complain endlessly about the weather. Winter is too cold. Spring induces too many allergies. Summer is too hot. Fall just may be the only season no one complains...except for all the leaves and chilly winds...

These are just a few of my favorite stereotypes about PA. Enjoy and learn about the beautiful state of PA!