25 Songs From The iPod Of A Middle Schooler In 2012

From a time when Katy Perry and Meghan Trainor ruled the school.

982
Photo by Ruijia Wang on Unsplash

I think I speak for most people when I say that my taste in music when I was in middle school was somewhat questionable. As a sucker for Top40, I still find myself turning my car radio to "Today's Top Hits," every once in a while. That genre of music was what I lived by as a preteen. I ventured into the world of mid 2010's pop music on my iPod every day after school. I joined the bands of my childhood from the confines of my home.

This list of 25 popular songs is sure to inspire nostalgia for those who grew up during an iconic era of music.

"Whatcha Say" - Jason Derulo

This song never grows out of style and neither will the artist who wrote it.

"Stressed Out" -Twenty One Pilots

Most people go through a Twenty One Pilots phase at least once in their life. If you're like me, maybe you haven't ever grown out of it.

"Stay With Me" - Sam Smith

For me, this was my very first favorite sad song to listen to when I didn't get a message back on Kik.

"She Looks So Perfect" - 5 Seconds of Summer

This song was the soundtrack to the music videos I made in my living room on my iPod.

"Payphone" - Maroon 5

This song stuck out to me because it always seemed to be playing over the Walmart speakers while I shopped with my mom.

"Hotline Bling" - Drake

Drake released this catchy song during my later years of my middle school, but it still never fails to get stuck in my head now and then.

"Gangnam Style" - PSY

The best part of this song was the iconic dance that came along with it.

"Stereo Hearts" - Gym Class Heroes

When I was thirteen, I would never fail to beg my mom to play this song on her car radio.

"What Does The Fox Say" - Ylvis

To this day, this is still the most bizarre song that has reached my ears, but was extremely popular and recognizable.

"Fancy" - Iggy Azalea

This queen of pop music released one of her most famous songs when I was a preteen, and I was quick to download it.

"Animals" - Maroon 5

Maroon 5 never failed to make a catchy song, but "Animals" was one that I distinctly remember being played during my middle school assemblies.

"Applause" - Lady Gaga

This one became popular during my very early years of middle school, but the popularity of the song didn't phase out as the years went by.

"I Gotta Feeling" - Black Eyed Peas

When I think back on this song in it's prime, I remember it playing through the scratchy gym speakers during halftimes at middle school basketball games.

"Dynamite" - Taio Cruz

This upbeat song has a distinct place in my memories as the tune everyone performed at the talent show.

"Harlem Shake" - Baauer

This unusual beat was popular for not only for it's sound, but also for all the viral videos that grew out of it.

"Shake It Off" - Taylor Swift

Taylor Swift ruled popular music for a large chunk of my childhood. "Shake It Off" is still easily my favorite song of hers.

"Happy" - Pharrell Williams

This song got popular from the movie "Despicable Me," which was also a movie I watched on repeat in 2013.

"Roar" - Katy Perry

This song, along with "Dark Horse," were both anthems of my middle school years.

"Hello" - Adele

The intro to this song is one of the most memorable out there, and never fails to induce happy memories of playing it on my iPad.

"7 Years" - Lukas Graham

This is such a beautiful and meaningful song that is still appreciated today.

"Fight Song" - Rachel Platten

Empowerment exudes from this melody, and was an important listen for preteens everywhere.

"Sorry" - Justin Bieber

My best friend had JB posters plastered all over her walls for years. When "sorry" came out, we listened to it on repeat at her house.

"Drag Me Down" - One Direction

I know very few girls who didn't listen to at least a few One Direction songs. "Drag Me Down," was definitely one of the greatest hits they released.

"Dark Horse" - Katy Perry

This unique song was a very prominent tune that never lost it's flair.

"All About That Bass" - Meghan Trainor

I know I speak for many girls when I say that this particular song played a large role in becoming comfortable with my body image and self esteem.