25 Kickass Female Characters That Came Before Wonder Woman

A list of female characters that stood on their own, in a leading or supporting capacity, that were kickass in their own way.

280
Huffington Post

Though "Wonder Woman" is not the first female-led superhero movie, following behind "Supergirl" in 1984, "Catwoman" in 2004, and "Elektra" in 2005, it has become the first successful one scoring a 91% on Rotten Tomatoes, grossing $368 million domestically and over $700 million worldwide, breaking records left and right, and managing to become the highest domestic grossing film in the DC Extended Universe, topping both "Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice" ($330 million) and "Suicide Squad" ($325 million). "Wonder Woman" has become a cultural icon and role model for young girls everywhere, but let's not forget that she is not the first female character to kick ass on screen.

1. Buffy Summers, Buffy the Vampire Slayer (The WB 1997-2001, UPN 2001-03)

By day, Buffy Summers was your average American teenager, but at night, she protected her town, and the world, from vampires, demons, and the occasional apocalypse.

2. Katniss Everdeen, The Hunger Games (Lionsgate)

Taking care of her family since she was 12, volunteering to take her sister's place in The Games at 16, and then leading a rebellion at 18. Katniss Everdeen is definitely one kickass character you cannot overlook.

3. Tris Prior, The Divergent Series (Lionsgate)

Tris had to be extremely careful in her initiation to keep her divergence a secret, for fear of death, had to flee her faction when they figured out who she was, and then took on the government, ultimately (SPOILER ALERT for those who have not read the books) giving her life for her cause.

4. Hermione Granger, Harry Potter series (Warner Bros.)

By far the smartest, most clever, witch of her age, Hermione Granger stands on her own and shows everyone that it does not matter where you come from as long as you work hard, and let's not forget to save Harry Potter's life on more than one occasion.

5. Moana, Moana (Disney)

Moana may not be a conventional choice for a kickass female character, but let's look at the facts. She did what she had to do to save her people, even if it meant disobeying her father, She never gave up, even though it seemed like the whole world was against her, and she risked her own life to save those of her people. If that doesn't make her kickass I don't know what does.

6. Emma Swan, Once Upon A Time (ABC, 2011-present)

Emma Swan has had to save her town on more than one occasion, protected her family by any means necessary, and even became a villain herself, and though her time as this show's leading lady has come to an end, she is still "the savior" and a kickass one at that.

7. Mulan, Mulan (Disney)

Okay, this one is pretty self-explanatory. She pretended to be a man so that her father wouldn't have to go to war, she became one of the best soldiers, and then saved all of China.

8. Eleven, Stranger Things (Netflix, 2016-present)

She was only a child, but because of her abilities she was experimented on and when she escaped she found solace in new friends and saved a town from an evil monster from "the upside down."

9. Natasha Romanoff/Black Widow, Marvel Cinematic Universe (Marvel Studios)

First appearing in Iron Man 2 in 2010, Black Widow has kicked ass all across the Marvel Universe, appearing in Marvel's The Avengers and most recently Captain America: Civil War. Trained to be an assassin as a young girl, she has become a staple in the Avengers on-screen lineup and is set to appear in the highly anticipated Avengers: Infinity War and the untitled Avengers 4, where we will get to see her kick ass all across the galaxy.

10. Princess Anna, Frozen (Disney)

Yet, another unconventional choice but her me out, though she may have been naive and tried to marry some guy she barely knew, she ultimately realized his plan and then sacrificed herself to save her sister.

11. Olivia Benson, Law and Order: Special Victims Unit (NBC, 1999-present)

Over the course of 19 seasons, she's been shot, kidnapped, assaulted, and nearly killed on more than one occasion, and yet she's still out there fighting crime.

12. Kara Danvers/Supergirl, Supergirl (CBS, 2015; The CW, 2016-present)

She was sent to Earth from her home planet of Krypton to protect and watch over her cousin, Kal-El (aka Clark Kent/Superman), but her pod got knocked off course and by the time she was here, he already was grown. Fast forward and she became a hero in her own right, protecting the citizens of National City, and the world, from alien threats.

13. Leslie Knope, Parks and Recreation (NBC, 2005-2015)

Leslie Knope is included in this list because she will go to great lengths for her town, and she will not let anything or anyone get in her way of achieving her goals, that's what makes her kickass.

14. Meredith Grey, Grey's Anatomy (ABC, 2005-present)

She's been through a lot in during the course of 13 seasons, but every time something happens she comes out the other side stronger than ever. She's faced loss, heartbreak, and several near-death experiences, and she continues to be one of the best doctors at Grey-Sloan Memorial Hospital.

15. Peggy Carter, Marvel's Agent Carter (ABC, 2015-2016)

First appearing in Captain America: The First Avenger, Agent Peggy Carter helped found the organization S.H.I.E.L.D. and was on of its top agents, in a time period where a woman was not supposed to succeed at anything.

16. Laura/X-23, Logan (20th Century Fox)

She may only be 11 in Logan, but knows how to kick ass and she's not afraid to do it either. But that's understandable as her biological father is Wolverine.

17. Jessica Jones, Jessica Jones (Netflix, 2015-present)

Superhero turned private investigator, Jessica Jones is forced to become a hero again when her "ex-boyfriend" Kilgrave shows back up in town and is trying to get her back under his control, and she does everything in her power to stop him.

18. Jyn Erso, Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Lucasfilm)

She was forced to go into hiding when her father was taken by the Empire. Years later, she becomes part of the Resistance and leads a team of rebels to steal the plans for the Death Star. Pretty sure there doesn't need to be any more explanation.

19. Korra, The Legend of Korra (Nickelodeon, 2012-2014)

70 years after the events of Avatar: The Last Airbender, the story picks up after Aang has passed and a new Avatar has come, Korra. As the next Avatar, Korra learns to master her bending in order to save her world, as well as keep balance.

20. Harley Quinn, Suicide Squad (Warner Bros.)

One of the few things the film was praised for was Margot Robbie's performance of the character first introduced in Batman: The Animated Series. Harley Quinn became the true hero of the movie because without her they probably would not have been successful in stopping Enchantress from destroying the world.

21. Daenerys Targaryen, Game of Thrones (HBO, 2011-present)

When she lost her husband and her child, then became the mother to three dragons, she acquired an army and left to take her rightful place on the Iron Throne, willing to kill anyone who stands in her way.

22. Gwen Stacy, The Amazing Spider-Man (Sony)

Gwen Stacy held her own, risking her own life to save New York, and helped Peter Parker on more than one occasion, and then ultimately loosing her life at the hands of the Green Goblin in The Amazing Spider-Man 2.

23. Merida, Brave (Pixar)

Pixar's first leading-lady, Merida defies her mother when she tries to break away from tradition and when she accidentally turns her into a bear, she does everything in her power to protect her mother from being killed and return her to her natural form, and gaining respect from her mother and her kingdom in the process.

24. Elizabeth Swann, Pirates of the Caribbean

Appearing in the first three Pirates movies, Elizabeth Swann is kidnapped by Jack Sparrow, and then eventually becomes part of the crew herself, helping fight villains like Captain Barbosa and Davey Jones.

25. General Leia Organa, Star Wars (Lucasfilm)

Known as Princess Leia in the original trilogy, her appearance in The Force Awakens changed the tone of her character, know a General in the Resistance, she fights against the First Order, which is headed by her son Ben Solo, also known as Kylo Ren. She is set to appear in the upcoming eight installment, The Last Jedi, though due to Carrie Fisher's unexpected passing, that will be the last outing for Leia.