25 Identifiable Traits Of An English Major

Zooey Deschanel is my inspiration, and I'm okay with that.

1085

1. The quirky glasses.

Yes, I was going for that unconventional-quiet-girl-look.

2. A piece of classic literature in their hands.

"Pride & Prejudice," "Far From the Madding Crowd," and "The Catcher in the Rye" all suffice.

3. They’ll use Shakespeare references in normal conversation, then cite him.

We don't play around when it comes to William.

4. A sassy hairstyle.

We like to wear our individuality on more than just our sleeves.

5. Their ability to critically analyze any situation.

When trying to debunk confusing text messages from estranged loved ones, a girl comes to her friend with an English degree. After all, if she can identify the seven most conflicting character traits of the unnecessarily complex Hamlet, she can analyze your ex-boyfriend.

6. If male, he probably looks like the lead singer of an alternative band.

You know the type. He's got that cool-vibe going for him, plus he's into poetry - he's profoundly intellectual.

7. Or Neville Longbottom circa 2004 – there’s really no in-between.

You also know this type, and you adore him all the same.

8. Accessories that add just a 'pop' of color.

We like to think we coined the term 'quirky.' Adding something different to the wardrobe makes it unique to us.

9. Like umbrellas.

Again, you know the type. The ones that have ears, depict different fruits, and ever so often, you'll see us sporting the clear bubble umbrellas with bright-colored rims.

10. And dresses.

We like to take fashion risks, sue us.

11. And dresses with umbrellas on them.

ModCloth was actually my idea; someone just created it before I got the chance.

12. They spend money on things like expensive bookmarks over $5.

Honestly, they're no more expensive than a caramel frappe. And besides, they were taunting me in the Barnes & Noble check-out line. I had to buy them.

13. They sport those Barnes & Noble tote bags on their shoulders.

Why is it that every time I visit Barnes & Noble, I find myself lost within the aisles for hours on end, only to come up empty handed? I may be indecisive (and a broke college student), but I'm sure as heck buying the $15 re-usable bag to help the ecosystem - IT'S RE-USABLE.

14. Or some other type of tote bag filled with books.

I can't travel alone; it's just not as fun.

15. They grow overly excited over obscure literary references.

Oh my gosh! Did anyone else hear the thing they said about "Turn of the Screw?" Anyone? REALLY? No? Okay, sweet.

16. They claim all of the Shakespeare questions on Jeopardy.

HA. Not today, Alex.

17. They possess the ability to use the oxford comma correctly.

Don't start with us.

18. They practically live in their local coffee shop.

Iced chai and lots of sunlight, this is where we re-charge.

19. Wallabees are a part of their daily wardrobe.

I feel like I'm walking on a cloud, all while simultaneously asserting my 'approachable hipster' persona.

20. The universal response to the question, “So, what can you actually do with an English degree?”

Don't be that person. Just don't.

21. And, “So you’re just going to teach, right?”

Wow. It's like you know me!

22. Their ability to turn everyday happenings into metaphors.

We're observant, and we enjoy voicing our discoveries.

23. Their struggle to tell a story in under 20 minutes.

Sorry, but, I was born to be a storyteller. Appreciate my attention to detail.

24. They’re the first ones in line to all of the book-turned-movie premieres.

First in line means first to make an insightful Facebook status about the parallels and missing scenes.

25. If you know them, you know what they study.

We love what we study, our ability to overthink, and all the quirks that come with the journey. If we don't tell you all about it, you can read about it in our books some day.