24 Things All Out-Of-State Students Can Relate To

In state kids just don't understand.

140
Jordan Hall

During your second half of high school, your entire world revolves around where you are going to attend college. Do you stay in-state and stay close to home, or do you go out of state and broaden your horizons? Picking a major and deciding where you want to live for the next four years is a personal choice and one that is made based on preferences and needs. Personally, deciding to be an out of state student has proved to be challenging, but has also proved to be the most rewarding decision I have ever made. I have grown as a person, learned more about myself in the past 6 months than I have in my first 18 years, explored new places, and strengthened my independence. Here is a list of things that all out of state students can relate to!

1. Visiting home has to be a preplanned trip.

There is no such thing as waking up one morning and deciding you want to go home for one afternoon. Nope. Get the calendar out, find available flights, maybe miss a class or two and start counting down the days. Make sure all your relatives are told too because if you come home without seeing Aunt Sally or Uncle Bill, you'll never hear the end of it. Seriously, coming home is a once in a lifetime opportunity here.

2. You are constantly in a state of confusion when people are talking about traditions that are coming up.

You're out of the loop when it comes to local places and well known traditions. Don't you love that feeling when you have to constantly ask: "What's that?" "Where's that?" "Is that a thing here?" It's OK; eventually we'll catch the drift.

3. Your body is permanently confused because of weather changes.

But it's supposed to be cold in January, right? Your mind and body are constantly thrown for a loop. You are expecting temperatures below 30 degrees and to see your breath as you breathe; but instead, you are faced with 50 degree weather and the problem of sweating 2 hours later because the temperature increases by 15 degrees. Is this some kind of joke?

4. Because of number 3, you catch yourself shipping clothes home because you packed ALL the wrong things.

Who would have thought you'd only wear your winter boots ONCE? I don't need them here... time to ship them back home. Let's go ahead and also throw in 15 sweatshirts, 2 jackets and 4 scarves.

5. Because of number 4, you beg your parents to ship you all the clothing you DO need.

"Mom? Yeah, can you send me my flip flops? Thanks."

6. People comment on your accent at least 3 times a day and try to guess where you're from.

You never actually thought you had an accent, but supposedly you do. Don't worry -- everyone is going to remind you of that, too. Get ready to hear everyone's guesses.

7. You are forced to meet new people and create new friendships.

You're out of state. So chances are, you don't know many people at the school you're attending. Many of your high school friends stayed close to home, so it's time to step outside of your comfort zone and find your new group. You are forced to meet new people because hanging with the same high school friends is NOT an option for you. But finding your new group and having to make all new friends is perfectly OK! Because (see step 8):

8. The friends you make become your family away from home.

When you're having a down week, you can't necessarily rush home for the weekend. Luckily, your new friends become your family away from home. They become the basis of your happy place when you are feeling everything but happy.

9. Receiving a package in the mail sends excitement through your body that you didn't even know was possible.

Yes, obviously every college students gets a rush of excitement when receiving a package. But when you're out of state, this is a whole new feeling. It's as if you're opening a piece of home. A package from mom containing your favorite sweatshirt and chocolate peppermint Luna Bars? Get the tissues, you may shed a few tears.

10. You have to now balance your love for both states' sports teams.

Now you have to cheer for two NFL teams, two NBA teams and two MLB teams. You can't forget your hometown roots, but you can't forget about your new home either! Just hope they don't end up playing eachother in the Superbowl because then things might get tricky.

11. When you tell people where you're from, they almost always ask if you know someone who lives there too.

No, I do not know your old neighbor's mom's hair dresser. There are hundreds of thousands of people who live in Atlanta, and surprisingly, I do not know each and every one of them.

12. You end up spending some holidays at your friends' houses because it is closer/cheaper than going home.

Thanksgiving at your best friend's house? Sounds good to me! Sometimes you discover that going home is more of a hassle than hopping in your friend's car and heading back with her. I'm sure you will do this at least once in your four years of college.

13. You feel like a fish out of water when wearing your school's apparel in your hometown.

Coming home and going to the grocery store feels awkward. Why? Because everyone around you is a sea of red and you're strutting around in your Gamecocks shirt. Usually, no one else is wearing your school's logo or jerseys. It's not like it is on campus... AT ALL. But hey, embrace it. Own it. Love it.

14. You experience homesickess more often and more severely than others.

Because you can't go home often and are in a completely different state, you get those late night feels way more often than someone in-state does. You sometimes feel alone because your college friends don't understand, and neither do your friends from back home. No one knows how it feels to be away from home and only wanting to be home. But don't worry; as soon as you wake up and step outside, you are reminded of why you chose the school that you did. And you are immediately filled with hope again.

15. You catch yourself explaining the same 5 restaurants over and over because your friends have no idea what you are talking about.

This is especially true when you are about to go home for break and you start talking about all the restaurants you're going to go to AS SOON AS you get home. Everyone gives you the "huh?" look. You explain what Taco Mac is to one person, and then catch yourself repeating what you said just five minutes later to someone else. "No, Taco Mac is not a restaurant that just serves tacos. No, Taco Mac is not a Mexican place. It's only the greatest sports bar and grill to ever exist. Their queso and their ranch are to die for... you just wouldn't understand."

16. Your move in date is completely different than those of your friends who stayed in-state.

You had to do all your last minute shopping when all your other friends were just STARTING their shopping. You had to say all your goodbyes a week before all your friends had to. By the time you were settled in, your friends were having their last moments back home. Unfortunately, that's going to be the way it is for the next three years.

17. When you meet someone from your hometown, you two automatically have a connection.

Not only do you share an initial connection, but you always find yourself having a 40 minute conversation about the things you miss from home. Then you realize you're twenty minutes late for class... but it's all worth it because you have found one of "your people."

18. You want to bring all your college friends home during breaks to show them a city they've never explored before.

You automatically suggest that all your buddies come back with you for spring break so that they can experience all your favorite things and devour food at all your favorite restaurants. You want them to FINALLY understand all the nonsense you've been talking about for the past 4 months!

19. You want all your high school friends to visit you at school and show them a campus they've never explored before.

Usually in high school, you and your friends visit the state school on the weekends because you know older people who go there. That's old news to you now. You want them to see something different! You immediately compare calendars and schedule a weekend for them to visit you. Gotta show them a Saturday at Willy B and show them around town!

20. You have to befriend people from your hometown so that you have a ride home for break.

"Hey! You live in Atlanta too? Are you by any chance leaving on Tuesday for Fall break? Mind if I tag along? I'll chip in 20 dollars. Thanks!"

Now you have a 4 hour car ride with someone you barely know; now you have to hope they like you enough to bring you back.

21. You are constantly asked "Why did you come here?"

Whenever you tell people where you're from, they immediately ask "Oh what made you want to come here?" *eye roll*

22. When you tell people where you're from, you are asked the most stereotypical questions about your city.

People who have never been to your hometown just assume things based on what they have heard about it. No, I don't go to the Coke Museum every week. Yes, the drivers are bad. Yes, the traffic is even worse. No, I do not live in the heart of the city. Atlanta has suburbs, you know. Have you REALLY never been there?

23. You have a new found respect and love for where you came from.

Being away from home makes you love it that much more. You better respect where you came from, and you learn to make the most of every minute you have while being there! If you're never away from something, you will never truly know how much it means to you. There's no place like home, and I feel that out of state students understand that saying more than anyone else.

24. You constantly tap yourself on the back for making such a good decision.

Even though being an out of state student comes with its own challenges, there is nothing better than walking on campus each day and having a warm feeling in your heart: the feeling that you chose the best school possible and that you are standing right where you need to be.