23 Things That Happen at U.M. ARMY

23 Things That Happen at U.M. ARMY

A week full of God, power tools, sweat, laughter and worship is sure to leave you with many memories, and all the feels.

75
23 Things That Happen at U.M. ARMY

Just last week I went to U.M. ARMY as a college assistant for the first time ever. It was definitely different from my days as a youth worker, but still lots of fun! I've been to six different U.M. ARMYs now, and although each one is different than the last, there are things that happen at every single U.M. ARMY without fail. If you've ever been to U.M. ARMY (or another mission trip) you'll relate to this:

1. You'll Cling to Your Church Friends

Upon first arriving at the host church, you will stick with your familiar friends until the program leaders/college assistants make you play super fun icebreaker games.

2. You'll Select Your Work Team

Not literally of course, but within the first few hours you will have selected at least one (if not more) person that you want on your work team. And you will pray ardently to get them.

3. You'll Pray to Not Be in "That" Group

You know what I mean. The work team that isn't going to get any work done without pulling their teeth.

4. You'll Develop a Crush

If you are single and human, it is a given that you will develop a crush on someone. And yes, nothing is going to come out of that crush except for maybe a week or two of texting after the mission trip is over.

5.Your Air Mattress Will Deflate

For the sake of your sleep, just bring a cot because your air mattress is going to deflate, trust me.

6.You'll Freeze

We appreciate the AC since it's so hot outside, but when you're shivering under your blanket, it makes getting up from bed that much harder. Your shower is probably freezing too.

7. You'll Have a Love/Hate Relationship with Morning Worship Songs

Why do they insist on making you dance? Because it'll get your blood pumping and energy up! As a youth worker, I hated the morning songs, but as a college assistant I love them!

8. There Will be Chaos with Tools and Materials

The first morning very rarely runs smoothly. You won't know how much wood to get, which tools to grab, or whether or not you need a Sawzall.

9. You Will Get Lost

At some point during the week, your work team will get lost. But no worries, it just means more bonding time with your group and jamming to the radio! Saying you ended up in Louisiana instead of your job site in Texas, will make for a fun story later anyway!

10. You Will Sweat

The heat is likely well over 90, and if you're one of the unfortunate, you have no shade at your job site. God have mercy and please drink water.

11. You Will Disobey Safety Crew's Rules

You know you're not supposed to pet the animals, but this dog is so sweet! You know you're supposed to wear goggles and gloves, but come on, you got this.

12. You'll Love When Program Crew Comes

Because they will have at least one, if not all of the following: Popsicles, water guns, bandanas, music and gatorade. They're like a five minute party break!

13. You'll Wait too Long For a Bathroom Break

You convinced yourself you didn't have to go, even though you drank three bottles of water and ate several popsicles, and now you're about to pee yourself. Or worse...

14. You'll Become Really Good at One Task

And thus feel like the master of that job and decide no one else in your group is competent enough to do it. I'd like to point out I am the master of drilling screws into ramps.

15. You'll Love your Client

More often than not, you'll get to meet the person/people who's home you are working on. Their story will both break your heart and build your compassion, and you will instantly love them.

My favorite year of U.M. ARMY; we loved these kind people.

16. You'll Grow Closer to God

Whether you hear an amazing devotional, discover an inspiring scripture, feel the Holy Spirit at your work site, or realize how blessed you are from helping those who are hurting, you are bound to experience God.

17. You'll Have a Paint War

If your work team has paint, you will end up painting each other. Also, if you have caulk, expect giggles and jokes.

18. You'll Feel so Satisfied When You Finish a Site

There are few things in this world that feel as good as completing a site. Seeing the wheelchair ramp you built, the new paint job on the house, the new framing/screening on the windows, the clean room, the mowed lawn. Whatever it is, it will fill you with so much pride and joy; and the reaction of the clients? Priceless.

19. Evening Activities are the Best

The games that the Program Crew come up with are so fun and usually pretty ridiculous. You can barely contain your excitement when they take you out to eat, watch a movie, go swim or host a dance. You'll also get overly competitive when you play games.

20. There Will be Lots of Inside Jokes

The things you and your work team come up with will stick with you forever and always make you laugh.

21. You Will Feel Moved when the Band Plays These Songs

"At the Cross (Love Ran Red)," "How He Loves," "Mighty to Save," "God of Wonders," "Jesus Paid it All," and "Revelation Song." Whether you cry, sing a little louder, get chills, or sway and lift your hands, it's impossible to not feel more of God's presence when you hear these songs.

22. Share Time Will be One of the Most Emotional Experiences of your Life

Even if you don't cry (which you probably will) this is one of the most emotional and beautiful things you'll see. The way everyone opens up to each other will draw you closer to your brothers and sisters in Christ and you'll discover things you would have never guessed about them.

23. You Won't Want to Leave

Come Saturday morning, as you clean the host church and pack your bags, you'll hug your new friends dozens of times and get lots of notifications on social media from all the new friend requests and tagged pictures. As your vehicle pulls away and you watch the town where you worked and worshipped shrink, your heart will ache a little. You'll realize this has been one of the best weeks of your life, and you can't wait to come back next summer.

God bless y'all!