23 Pieces Of Life Advice I Learned By 23

“Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” - Dr. Suess, Happy Birthday to You!

478
Hannah Davis

This past week I celebrated my 8,395th day on earth — 23 years. While I accept that this in no way entitles me to being an old sage capable of wisdom, I was inspired by Youtube Queen Jenna Marbles’ “30 Life Lessons I learned in 30 Years” video to share some of my own life advice and tips that I’ve learned in my past 23 years.

23. Road Trip Playlists Are A Must

Just makes sure there is a song or two on there that everyone will enjoy, especially if your parents are in the car.

22. Get Good At Public Speaking

If you can stand in front of a crowd and nail a speech then you will be more prepared for life than half of the world. Yes, public speaking can be terrifying but if you get good at it then everyone in the audience will be super impressed.

21. Take An Improv Class

One of the best ways to learn how to stand in front of a crowd and make fun of yourself, and have fun while doing it, is to take an improv class or join and Improv comedy group. Trust me, you won’t regret it and you’ll wish all the time you could go back to it years later.

20. Treat Yourself

Stop worrying so much about saving your money for the future and live in the now. Buy the cool Amazon gadget you’ve been eyeing for forever. Buy the expensive and fancy cheese at the grocery store. Treat. Yo. Self.

19. A Good Outfit Is The Best Confidence Boost

When you look good, and feel good, in a new outfit then you can accomplish any task you set your mind to.

18. Take Your Education Seriously

No, seriously, shouldn’t you be studying right now? Do your homework.

17. You’re Never Too Old To Go To Space Camp, Dude

If you’ve had a dream ever since you were a child to do something and you have to chance to do it, then DO IT. Never let go of your childhood dreams, they’re the purest and should be treasured.

16. Don’t Take Life Too Seriously

Leave room for fun and don’t be afraid to take breaks.

15. Don’t Burn Bridges

Be nice to everyone no matter how annoying they can be, especially professors because it makes you the better person. Always take the high road.

14. Experience Is More Important Than Money

If an internship is unpaid but it’s something you would love to do, then do it if you have the means and worry about the money later.

13. Volunteer Your Time

You don’t have to do it on the regular, and you might regret signing up for it on the day of, but it is so rewarding and worth it to help others that you should do it at least once.

12. Be Comfortable Being Alone

Eating by yourself in a crowded restaurant is OK and no one is looking at you funny. Look as if you have a purpose in where you are and no one will doubt otherwise.

11. Hydrate For Health!

Drink water and always carry around a water bottle with you, preferably a reusable one. Some of the simplest things can be warded off by drinking water (headaches, sore muscles, tiredness, etc). Your body will thank you.

10. Go To Bed

Never underestimate the power of a good night of rest. If your brain is busy and won’t let you sleep then try a quiet podcast or meditation video online.

9. Some Procrastination Is Okay

Yes, procrastination can be a problem but so can overloading your brain to the point where it is not useful anymore. Take well-monitored break times.

8. Be Kind To All Animals

Even snakes. All animals are just as confused as you are about life and we shouldn’t make it more difficult for them.

7. Keep Your Space Clean

Decluttering your space will make you feel accomplished and help put your mind at ease.

6. Coffee Dates With Old Friends Are Worth It

You might find that hanging on to old relationships is just a waste of time and too difficult to maintain after you leave school but putting in the effort to still be friends is generally worth it. It is always a good idea to reminisce about all of the fun times you used to have and make some new ones.

5. Eat Healthily

It is OK to have cheat days (or cheat weeks in my case) but always try to feed your body good nutritional foods like fresh fruits and vegetables. You get out of life what you put into it, especially when it comes to food.

4. Be Positive

Sometimes all you need to complete a difficult task is the right attitude.

3. Don’t Make Excuses

If someone wants you to do something and you don’t want to do it, just say no. You don’t owe them an explanation and you don’t need to make up and live a lie just because you didn’t want to just say “No, thanks.” Go with your gut when making decisions.

2. Be Who You Are

Don’t let anyone’s opinions on life keep you from being who you want to be. If it makes you happy and has a positive impact on the world then you should be it.

1. Love Unconditionally

Love all your flaws and imperfections and appreciate every part of what makes you, uniquely you. Or, in general, at least be able to laugh at yourself.