23 Lines From Netflix's 'The Half Of It' That Every Hopeless Romantic Must Read

Alice Wu for president of the world.

1270

If you happened to see "The Half Of It" pop up on your Netflix account and brushed it off as another formulaic teen rom-com, good golly I encourage you to give this 105-minute rollercoaster a chance. The movie centers on a student, who makes a living writing essays for her peers, changing her formatting to writing love letters to help a football player woo a girl whom, secretly, they both want. What can I say? I'm a sucker for a flick with some obvious metafiction, representation, motifs, and symbolism in my media consumption. Here are some contextless quotes to pique your fancy, until you give this movie the stream it deserves.

1. “Love is simply the name for the desire and the pursuit of the whole.”

Tumblr

Plato, The Symposium

2. "People spend far too much time looking for someone to complete them."

3. “It is said that when one half finds another, there is an unspoken understanding, a unity, and each would know no greater joy than this.”

4. “What's surprising is that people don't see what they're not looking for.”

5. “Everyone fears God in this town. But do you know who God fears? The Teachers' Union.”

6. “I can pay more for authentic!”

7. “Get a thesaurus. Use spell-check. Good luck, Romeo.”

8. “I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.”

"Casablanca"

9. “In love, one always starts by deceiving oneself and ends by deceiving others. That is what the world calls a romance.”

Oscar Wilde

10. “I hide behind other people’s words. If I knew what love was, I’d quote myself.”

11. “I had an art teacher tell me that the difference between a good painting and a great painting is typically five strokes. And those strokes are usually the boldest strokes in the painting...If you never do the bold stroke, you'll never know if you could have had a truly great painting.”

12. “Everything beautiful is ruined eventually.”

13. “Isn't that what love is? How much effort you put into loving someone?”

Twitter

14. “Did you layer?!” “Yes, I am a Russian doll of clothing.”

15. “Gravity is matter’s response to loneliness.”

Instagram

16. “Every song, movie, story, has a best part.”

17. “I hope you find something good to believe in.”

18. “Hell is other people.”

Sartre

19. “Have you ever loved somebody so much that you didn't want anything about her to change?”

20. “Love isn’t pretending.”

21. “I always thought that there was the one right way to love. But there are so many more ways than I knew. I never want to be the guy who stops loving someone for the way that they love.”

22. “Love isn’t patient and kind and humble. Love is messy and horrible and selfish and bold. It’s not finding your perfect half - it’s the trying and reaching and failing.”

23. “Love is being willing to ruin your good painting for the chance at a great one.”

Follow Swoon on Instagram.

From Your Site Articles