In honor of my favorite Halloween TV special's 50th anniversary, I thought I'd make a list of all the reasons why "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is still as relevant and heartwarming now as it was in 1966.
1. Lucy's determination to find the biggest pumpkin possible...
...and forcing Linus to keep trying because she will settle for nothing less than the absolute best.
2. Linus's reaction to Lucy's pumpkin carving savagery
She didn't tell him she was gonna kill it!
3. When the gang taught us about the joys of nature
4. Charlie Brown's resilience when kicking that football...
5. Linus's unyielding belief in the Great Pumpkin
Even despite the naysayers, he faithfully writes a letter to the magical, flying pumpkin every year before Halloween.
6. Sally's devotion to Linus
7. Linus's multi-faceted blanket
8. Charlie Brown's dance
9. Sally getting spooked by her own costume
10. Charlie Brown's struggle with the scissors
11. How everyone just knew which ghost was Pig- Pen
12. Snoopy as the fearless, World War I Flying Ace
Fun fact- the name of the "plane" he flies to take down the Red Baron is the "Sopwith Camel". (True fans of "Great Pumpkin" should know this and since you're reading this article, I'm gonna assume you're one of them.)
13. Sally choosing to stay with Linus
14. Charlie Brown's rotten trick-or-treating luck
15. Charlie Brown's brief modeling career
16. Lucy's surprise when bobbing for apples
17. Snoopy's dance solo...
18. Linus's reaction to "seeing" the Great Pumpkin
19. Sally's reaction when she discovers it was Snoopy
20. Linus's slip up
21. Lucy taking care of her little brother
22. Linus and Charlie Brown's heart to heart as the credits roll
There's always next year, Linus. There's always next year...