22 Times "Great Pumpkin" Got It Right

22 Times "Great Pumpkin" Got It Right

"There are three things that I've learned never discuss with people: religion, politics, and the Great Pumpkin."

228
22 Times "Great Pumpkin" Got It Right
Palm Beach Post

In honor of my favorite Halloween TV special's 50th anniversary, I thought I'd make a list of all the reasons why "It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown" is still as relevant and heartwarming now as it was in 1966.

1. Lucy's determination to find the biggest pumpkin possible...

...and forcing Linus to keep trying because she will settle for nothing less than the absolute best.

2. Linus's reaction to Lucy's pumpkin carving savagery

She didn't tell him she was gonna kill it!

3. When the gang taught us about the joys of nature

Just never jump into a pile of leaves with a wet sucker.

4. Charlie Brown's resilience when kicking that football...

...even when Lucy has other ideas. ("Funny thing about this document, it was never notarized!")

5. Linus's unyielding belief in the Great Pumpkin

Even despite the naysayers, he faithfully writes a letter to the magical, flying pumpkin every year before Halloween.

6. Sally's devotion to Linus

"I could never doubt you, Linus. You're so intelligent!"

7. Linus's multi-faceted blanket

Who says it's wrong to carry around a security blanket?

8. Charlie Brown's dance

"I just got invited to a Halloween party!" (Kinda reminds me of the one Rocky does after he runs up the steps to the Philly Art Museum. Anyone else see it?)

9. Sally getting spooked by her own costume

Those eye slits were just a little too lifelike for comfort.

10. Charlie Brown's struggle with the scissors

We've all been there, right?

11. How everyone just knew which ghost was Pig- Pen

"How did you know it was me?"

12. Snoopy as the fearless, World War I Flying Ace

Fun fact- the name of the "plane" he flies to take down the Red Baron is the "Sopwith Camel". (True fans of "Great Pumpkin" should know this and since you're reading this article, I'm gonna assume you're one of them.)

13. Sally choosing to stay with Linus

"Nothing but sincerity as far the eye can see."

14. Charlie Brown's rotten trick-or-treating luck

"I got a rock." (In his defense, who the hell gives out rocks to kids on Halloween?! Sickos, that's who.)

15. Charlie Brown's brief modeling career

"If we shape the eyes like this... And the nose like this... And the mouth like this..." (Poor, Charlie. Bald is beautiful!)

16. Lucy's surprise when bobbing for apples

How a beagle actually got into the tub without anyone noticing, we may never know.

17. Snoopy's dance solo...

...and then dismay when Schroeder started to play a sad tempo.

18. Linus's reaction to "seeing" the Great Pumpkin

"Did I faint?"

19. Sally's reaction when she discovers it was Snoopy

"You owe me restitution!"

20. Linus's slip up

"Good grief! I said 'if'! I meant when he comes!"

"I'm doomed."

21. Lucy taking care of her little brother

Even if she does think that he's a blockhead.

22. Linus and Charlie Brown's heart to heart as the credits roll

"STUPID? What do you mean stupid?!"

There's always next year, Linus. There's always next year...