22 Things My Mother Has Taught Me in Honor of Mother's Day.

Happy Mother's Day! Mothers are a crucial part of our development and future relationships, it is important to recognize the lessons they teach us everyday.

111
Melissa Stewart

I hate to be biased, but I truly do have one of the best mom's out there. Spunky, always in style, full of life, happy, and fun. I wouldn't change a thing. I am 22 years old, so in honor of mother's day I would like to write 22 things my mother has taught me in life.

• Never ever settle. This is hard, but you will find your worth no matter the circumstances. Never stay where you don't feel loved or appreciated,
  • You are beautiful no matter what. In my life I have always struggled with my weight and confidence. My mom always told me, "It doesn't matter what's on the outside, as long as you have a good heart, that is all that will ever matter."
  • Never rely on anyone. In my life, my mom always taught me that the only one I can count on is myself, people will always let you down. You stay strong and you do it on your own, the rest will fall into place.
  • Pictures last a lifetime. My mom, my best photographer and best picture buddy, she loves taking pictures as much as I do. After all, pictures are all you will have left after everything else.
  • Be who you are, never change. She always accepted me for who I am, and the right people will love you for you, and If they don't, let them go, they are not worth your time.
  • It doesn't matter where you end up, as long as you are happy. So many jobs, so many times changing my degree major, so many losses and gains, My mom always asked me if I felt happy, and if that answer was yes, I simply did it.
  • Make the best out of what you have. I have always been grateful for the things and memories my mom gave me, and she always did the best she could. I will always stay humble and kind for what is given to me and what I have,
  • What other people think does not matter. When my mom was diagnosed with cancer she lost some of her hair, which resulted in her wearing a wig. I would never have the guts to do that, but my mom did, and she rocked it!
  • Sometimes being strong is the only choice you have. In life we run into very hard situations and things that affect us. During these situations, we must remain strong, and never give up!
  • Always tell the people you love, that you love them. My mom and I talk all day everyday, about whatever we want. But, our conversations always end with us saying, "I Love You", because you never know when it is your last.
  • Your gut feeling is never wrong. When your gut tells you that something is off, believe it. Your instinct is never wrong.
  • To see the good, you have to go through the bad first. In 2014 my mom lost her job and told me that good things come after the bad ones. When you are fighting against a bad situation, always know something good is coming.
  • There is no fixing anyone. When people hurt you or try to tell you how they feel about you, believe them. There is no repainting someone after they showed you their true colors.
  • The number 3 is the key to everything. Whether it is 3 days, 3 months, or 3 years, the number 3 is the answer to all. Not many people understand this, but I do, and that's all that matters.
  • Sing the song no matter how awful you sound. My Mom and I love to sing together, even though we aren't very good, we still enjoy it.
  • Give yourself 5 minutes everyday. Having a bad day? Let yourself feel it for 5 minutes, after that, put your big girl pants on and stay strong.
  • If you feel hopeless, pray. I am not very religious, but anytime I needed strength or answers, I prayed, and I got all the closure I needed.
  • There is no timeline to finish. I have always felt behind in life, but my mom always backed me up and told me I am right where I needed to be.
  • Your mother will always know. I can have a conversation with my mom without even speaking a word. Near or far, she simply just will always know.
  • Life is short, enjoy the ride. You never know what tomorrow will bring, so live in the moment and feel proud of where you are.
  • Never trust too easily. Someone who you truly think you could give your life for, will throw you under the bus quicker than you think. Always have your guard up.
  • Your mom is always one call away. I have always been able to rely on you, Mom, and you are always there when I need you.

Happy Mother's Day to all the wonderful moms out there!

Love Always, Mel.