22 Things I've Learned During My First Year Of College

So much to learn, so little time.

43
Google

In the last 9 months I have learned so many things that have changed my life for the better, I have made friends that will last a life time and I have made friends that didn't last the full 9 months. Some things I've learned have stood out a little more than others...

1. It's OK to step out of your comfort zone.

I remember it like it was yesterday. It was my first day on campus, and we had a cheer cookout. I was SO nervous, because I didn't know any of the girls on the team but like 2 or 3, well I swear I didn't say more than 3 words to anyone the first few practices, because I was so shy and scared of letting people in. I finally took a step and tried to overcome my thoughts and fears, well here I am 9 months later and I'm more social than ever.

2. You lose friends and that's OK.

Before we came to campus we had this huge group message with almost all of the incoming freshman. At first it was the same people talking to each other, and then soon after, we all became close. When we got to campus we started "The Quad Squad" with this came making more and more friends. Something I didn't have much of in high school. After the break up, my friends started slowly disappearing one by one. Soon I was left with a handful of people, but not one I could call if I needed anything. I say it's OK, because you do not need anyone that brings you down, or that doesn't need you.

3. Community showers aren't THAT bad.

I wore my shower shoes for all of 4 months, then gave up on it. The worst part of it all was waiting for the one big shower in my building and living on the same hall as 3 other cheerleaders plus other athletes, so we apparently we all need to shower at the same time.

4. I'm very out of shape.

Well, at the moment I'm eating pudding and sitting in bed, if that says anything. Lindsey isn't a very big campus, we all know that. But gee the walk from Writing Studies to History last semester was killer.

5. Being a collegiate athlete, working 2 jobs, and maintaining over a 3.0 all year wasn't hard at all.

I started working one of my jobs in October. I love my job, I love cheer, but two and two are hard to do together. At the end of my first semester I had all A's and B's, by my second semester I had all As and Bs, 1 C AND 2 jobs. When people find this out about me, they ask me, "How do you do it?" Easy, priorities and goals first.

6. Making friends is so easy.

Being on a small campus is good, because you get the chance to know everyone's name. You can build strong relationships with people and build up everlasting friendships.

7. You can hug complete strangers and it's not that weird.

Okay, I went through this phase of hugging random people to see how many hugs I could get. Note to self: Don't hug guys who may have a girlfriend, it won't turn out well.

8. You can meet your soulmate in a matter of 2 seconds.

Yes, you read it right. Kaci found love in the most weird place. Refer to number 9.

9. Being dared to talk to the cute guy sitting in his car MAY get you somewhere.

I had just went through a nasty break up when I was dared to walk up to this random guys car and shake his hand. So, here's what happened. I walked my happy self over to his car and peep in and threw out a nice pick up line. He laughed, so there was my go ahead for a hand shake. I shook his hand and asked for his Snapchat. About 2 hours later, we were walking around campus getting to know each other and I was low key flirting with him. By the end of the night, he walked me to my dorm and said goodnight. I could not stop smiling, it happened like it did in the movies.

10. Campus wide prayer circles are very helpful.

I was going through a rough time when 2 girls from my cheer leading team decided to start a campus wide prayer circle on the quad. These 2 girls will never know how much it helped me and how much they mean to me.

11. Changing majors is normal.

Now, some people were disappointed when they heard I changed my major. For as long as I can remember there are 3 things I've wanted to be, a singer/songwriter, a mermaid, and a teacher. So, since my voice is trash and I can't swim, I decided to just stick to being a teacher. I am still in the Education field, but I switched from Elementary to 5-12 grades with a focus on Social Science.

12. Preparing yourself for family gatherings and how you're going to answer, "How's school going?"

"Well, it's going." This is the worst thing ever. For me at least. I don't really like talking to my family about school. I feel like that's every college student though. How do I come off with a good answer to the question that's not full of sarcasm and sass.

13. How to properly use shower caps and dry shampoo

LIFE SAVERS! I am lazy, very lazy. Therefore, when I'd where my hair straight for 2 or 3 days that was the outcome of a shower camp and Not Your Mother dry shampoo. Hello perfection.

14. Building school spirit in college is hard!

I had SO much school spirit through high school, being a cheerleader it's kind of what you do. This is the only thing about college that has been hard for me. Don't get me wrong, I love my team. Heck we have an AMAZING athletic department. But just building up as much spirit in my blue and white uniform as I had in my purple and white uniform, it's going to be harder than I thought.

15. Love comes and it goes.

BUT you learn to live with it. If you ask me how I feel about love, I'll say I hate it. I have so many first hand experiences with love and 9/10 of these are bad. In my first year of college, I've had so many encounters. Some with loving a boy, loving friends, or loving a family member that was taken to soon. With all of this I had to remember to whisper a prayer and let God take control.

16. Never give up the world for someone who will not give up the time of day for you.

I've given up my world and watched it fall so many times. It is still bound to happen many more times. Sometimes good things end, so better things will begin. You will go to bed some nights feeling like your whole world is crashing, but I promise, it's only beginning.

17. There is still drama, people will STILL always find a way to bring you into it.

I'm not kidding. There drama literally everywhere you go, you're not going to escape it. People should grow up after high school, but will they? Probably not. I know it stinks, but it happens.

18. Being best friends with your mom is a good thing, until you see her once in a blue moon.

I literally seen my mom on move in day, homecoming night, Thanksgiving, Christmas, then move out day. That's all. It's hard, and it definitely will put your relationship to the test.

19. Therapy isn't for wack jobs, it actually helps.

College is full of stress, sometimes you really need someone to help you cope with that stress, don't be embarrassed.

20. (Some) professors really do want to help you be successful.

Luckily, all of my professors my first 2 semesters truly cared about me and wanted to see me succeed. So suck up a little, get to class on time, go to class. You'll be ok.

21. Don't sit around in your dorm every chance you get.

There are always activities going on around and on campus, try every chance you get to get involved, get out of your room and make friends. Don't regret sitting around on your butt and not making the best of your college experience.

22. College life is GREAT.

Speaks for itself. It is what you make it.