I feel like I've lived a long life, but in reality I haven't even experienced real life yet. In 22 years, I have made great decisions along with really terrible ones. When I was 15 years old I couldn't wait to be in my 20's. Now, I wish I was still that young. I thought I would have my life ALL figured out, but I was completely wrong. So far my twenties are described as T-Swift says "Happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way. It's miserable and magical."
Here are 22 things I have learned in my 22 years of life.
1) Knowledge is power.
Education is beautiful. Don't take your education for granted. Your education should always come first.
2) You are your biggest critic.
Don't be too hard on yourself. Take it easy sometimes.
3) Jealousy is a waste of time.
The green monster is a nasty thing. Be grateful for the things you have! You are blessed in ways you don't even know.
4) He is not the sun, you are.
Oh the wise words of Christina Yang. Don't let a guy/girl become the center of your universe, because you are the center of your universe.
5) The small moments seem to be the most insignificant, but those tend to mean the most in the grand scheme of things.
Every now and then stop and appreciate the little things. Time flies. Enjoy every second.
6) Unfortunately, no amount of cardio will burn a bad diet.
This hurts to even type.
7) Never stop trying to improve.
There is always something that can be better or can be improved. Don't ever settle.
8) Just because someone desires you certainly does not mean they value you.
Let those words resonate in your mind.
9) It is okay to change your mind.
Change your mind. Then change it again.
10) People come and go.
Not everyone is meant to stay in your life. I PROMISE YOU. Some make an appearance, and then leave. Don't be bummed. It happens. It's meant to happen. God only knows why.
11) Always ask if restaurants have a student discount.
Did you know Chipotle gives you a free drink if you have your student ID on you? YOU ARE WELCOME.
12) Not everyone will like you.
Don't think twice about it, and keep doing you. Stop trying to please everyone. There will always be at least one person who isn't a fan. If they don't like you just smile, say "bless your heart", and just keep on walkin'.
13) Ordering chips and queso should never be questioned.
Do I even have to explain this one? C'mon
14) Everyone's life isn't how it seems.
We all have our battles, whether we can see them or not. We never know what other people are going through behind closed doors.
15) You are capable of so much more than you think.
Don't limit yourself because, if you do, you'll never reach your actual potential.
16) The word different shouldn't be associated as a negative word.
It just means different. Being unique should be welcomed!
17) Shi* happens. Let is strengthen you, and move on.
Don't dwell on it or sulk about it. That's life.
18) POTTY TRAIN YOUR DOGS.
I can't stress this enough.
19) It is completely alright if you don't have your life all figured out yet.
But really, does anyone?
20) Do not be afraid to go against the grain.
Do your own thing and be your own person. Everyone is different, and unique in their own way. Be yourself.
21) Love your body.
It's the only one you have. You will live in this body forever. Be kind to it.
22) And perhaps most importantly, accept when you're wrong.
Being wrong helps us, believe it or not. You're not perfect, and it is okay to be wrong at times. The mistakes you make shape you, and will help you learn valuable lessons.