22 Lessons For My Younger Self As I Turn 22

"We're happy, free, confused, and lonely in the best way. It's miserable and magical." - Taylor Swift

12

I'm not really feeling 22, but I wanted to take some time and reflect on what I've learned over the years.

1. People ​WILL​ come and go.

And it WILL be okay. Every stage of life will bring new people.

2. You have to be the priority for you. 

Take care of yourself before worrying about others. You have to learn to be your own priority and care for yourself in order to be your best self.

3. Sometimes you have to make difficult choices, but they have to be made. 

Down the road, it won't be as big of a deal and won't feel like as big of a hardship.

4. Not everyone is meant to be friends. 

At the time, losing a "friend" feels like the end of the world. It's hard to accept, but at the end of the day, not everyone is meant to be friends and that's okay!

5. Your family will always have your back. 

There will always be differences - BUT, family will always have your back and always be there as a support system.

6. Take care of yourself before taking care of everyone else. 

If you don't take care of yourself, it is hard to continue forward - especially when times get tough!

7. The good times will outweigh the bad. 

As time moves forward, the burden will lessen and you will not feel the pressure as much as you did in the moment.

8. Spoil yourself every once in a while and enjoy it!

You deserve it! Don't let anyone else tell you otherwise!

9. What seems like the end of the world now will be so minuscule down the road.

The broken hearts and friendships are part of life and will seem so small and silly once you reach the next chapter.

10. Consider the bigger picture, not the tiny elements. 

The end result/picture is what is really important - not all the hardships and hurdles it takes to overcome and get there.

11. Make time to enjoy life. 

The homework, work, and other obligations can wait and take a back burner every once in a while. Enjoy life so you don't regret it down the line.

12. Show people you care instead of just telling them. 

It's cliche, but actions do speak louder than words. Use your actions and show people that you care, it goes much further than speaking how you feel.

13. Always work to grow your relationships. 

People grow and change and so do relationships - we're talking about family, friends, significant others, peers, etc.

14. Don't force yourself to do things that make you unhappy. 

Just because your friends enjoy something doesn't mean you have to. The most "college" example there is would be going out to a party and/or drinking. The fact of the matter is you don't have to enjoy it nor do you have to do it and THAT'S OKAY.

15. Don't try and change yourself or your beliefs or goals (etc.) to please others. 

You are who you are for a reason! Never allow someone else's opinions or views to overrule who you are or how you feel.

16. However, be open to constructive criticism. 

Those who truly care about you have your best interest at heart when they offer constructive criticism. You should always take it with a grain of salt, and consider it before taking it seriously, but chances are they mean well and may have a point in their suggestions.

17. Work hard - put the necessary time and effort into everything you do. 

The work you put in will reflect in the end.

18. Take care of yourself always, not just when things get hard. 

Self-care is important year-round, not just when times get tough. If you're already struggling and then something else happens, you'll be digging yourself into a deeper hole over and over.

19. Find peace with difficult situations. 

It takes time and it's so much easier said than done, but finding peace will offer you the ability to truly move forward.

20. At the end of the day, forgive but don't forget. 

Everything happens for a reason. It is okay to forgive and move forward with everything, but don't forget the hurt or pain you felt in the moment.

21. Know your limits. 

Obviously this can be applied to drinking, but it also applies to your mental health. Learn your body, learn what you can and can't handle at certain times.

22. Don't take everything so seriously. 

Laugh it off, let it go - enjoy everything life has to offer!

Here's to my Taylor Swift year - cheers!