22 Lessons I Learned Before Turning 22

22 Lessons I Learned Before Turning 22

Lessons I learned throughout my life

83
22 Lessons I Learned Before Turning 22

With it being my twenty-second birthday this past weekend, I have realized that every mountain and valley I have faced molded me into who I am today. There are somethings that I would have changed while in the moment, but once I got out of them I looked back and would go through all that pain and heartbreak again just to have who I have in my life.

These 22 lessons are ones that I live by on a daily basis because either good or bad moment because a memory and who you become.

1.) Smile Everyday

via GIPHY

">

A smile lets you and everyone around you know that no matter how rough the waters get, that being true to who you are is the greatest treasure one can get.

2.) Everything Happens for a Reason

via GIPHY

">

A simple statement but holds so much truth. No matter if it is good or bad, you had to go through it to become the person staring back at you in the mirror.

3.) Rather Have Loved then Not Loved

via GIPHY

">

We all have had that one person who you put your all in but didn't work out. That person showed you how you are supposed to be treated and loved in a relationship. You showed be treated like the Princess or Prince that you are. Look back on that person and thank them for showing you how should be loved and have no regrets with them.

4.) Family is Everything

via GIPHY

">

I come from a single-parent household where the relationship I have with my mom and twin sister is the second most important thing, first being my relationship with the Lord. My family is the one thing in my life that will always have my back with every decision I make. They are my people who love unconditionally and push me to be better everyday.

5.) Treasure All the Friendships You Have Had

via GIPHY

">

Throughout my life, I have had many friendships that were either for a season or a lifetime. With both, you guys mean so much to me, and I will always have a place in my heart for you.

To all my friends that are no longer in my life, thank you for being there during that time in my life because without you I would not be who and where I am today.

To my lifetime friends, thank you for everything you do, for always being there even when I'm not at my easiest moments, for knowing when I need a shoulder to cry on or an ear to listen my thoughts, and for all the endless love.

6.) Don't Worry About Your Future

via GIPHY

">

The career I wanted as a little girl to the one I wanted as a teenager to the one I'm pursing now are all totally different. Everything will keep on changing. Don't worry because you will know what is the right career due to the passion and drive you will feel within.

7.) Be Comfortable in Your Own Skin

via GIPHY

">

Now-a-days everyone comes in their own shapes, sizes, and colors. You are beautiful, strong human beings, and no one can dictate how beautiful you are. Love yourself. Don't worry about what "society" thinks is perfect. You are perfect just the way you are.

8.) Spend Time Alone

via GIPHY

">

Everyone deserves to be alone at some points and the need to focus on your wellbeing. Sometimes, events in our lives can get too much to handle so a nice bath and a glass of wine are my go to.

9.) Go After What You Want

via GIPHY

">

The dream career, job, love, etc. Go after it. Why live life in regrets?

10.) Get Involved with Organizations That You Believe In

via GIPHY

">

During this past semester in college, I found an organization that coincides with my career choice and my passion. So, go out and find that organization and begin to change the world.

11.) Don't Take Things Too Personal

via GIPHY

">

Now, this one is one I'm still working on. For as long as I could remember, I would take everything to heart instead of letting them roll off my back. Over the past year, I have learned the hard way about taking things too personal and have grown since then.

12.) Find Balance

via GIPHY

">

Balance between career, school, family, friends, love life, and social life. I personally use a planner to make sure I have balance between everything in my life. I'm not the type of person who doesn't like to be in one place but thinking about another. I want to focus my everything into what I am doing so finding the balance is still a work in progress.

13.) Don't Worry About Money

via GIPHY

">

As a college student, this a hard one because it’s all I worry about since I have to pay bills, but I know that once I get into my career that I will be fine. Money will be a struggle but remember there will be a time in your life when it won't.

14.) Travel

via GIPHY

">

This summer will be the two year anniversary of my Study Abroad trip to London. That had caused me to get the travel bug whether international, national, or just around the state of Georgia. Either way, travel because the people and the experiences you will meet change you.

15.) Look Back at Your Struggles as the Strengths to Push You Forward

via GIPHY

">

Since starting college, my life had changed so much and none of it was what I thought it would be. My so called plan ended up going right out the window. There were times that I thought “what am I doing” or “why is this happening to me”. I went through so much pain and heartbreak but now I realize that those are the things that are pushing me to be who I am. Those struggles molded me and now that I look back on them I wouldn’t change a thing.

16.) Go Outside of Your Box

via GIPHY

">

Take that leap of faith. Expand your horizons. Because doing that, you will love it all.

17.) Don't Be Changed By the World But Be Yourself and Let the World Adapt To You

via GIPHY

">

In our society today, there are some many people transforming themselves to be what society rules is the normal or perfect, but you change society. Don’t conform. Be proud of who you are. Be the change.

18.) Stand Strong in Your Faith

via GIPHY

">

There is no greater time than now to be standing strong for what you believe in. Your faith is a part of who you are and don’t let anyone force you to change. Learn to love and appreciate others of other religions and belief systems. We are all taught to love each other. Stand for what you believe in, love one another. Let's love rather than hate.

19.) Don't Worry About Your Plan. Enjoy Where Life Takes You

via GIPHY

">

Everyone knows the saying “Life isn’t about the Destination. Life is about the Journey.”

This couldn’t be truer. Sometimes the plan doesn't fit anymore or gets thrown out the window. Enjoy everything you come across. Don’t stress about the end but enjoy the in-between because that is where life happens.

20.) Hope for the Best But Prepare for the Worst

via GIPHY

">

Be a hopeful person and want everything to go just right but when the curveball is thrown that changes everything just be prepared for the unknown. The unknown is where growth happens. Just embrace the worst but still be the hopeful person.

21.) Take Lots of Pictures and Preserve the Memories

via GIPHY

">

Enjoy life. Take those pictures the serious ones, the funny ones, the happy ones, and the list goes on because you will have those keepsakes to show your children and grandchildren to show them how you lived your life. Being able to see the life you lived when you are much older and the memories you have made is going to be something I can’t even write into words.

22.) Love Yourself

via GIPHY

">

The last but certainly not the least is to love you. Loving yourself is the greatest love story that will ever be written.

Even though I still have so much more to live and experience these 22 lessons are the ones I live by because living a happy life is the greatest gift of them all.