The Legal Drinking Age In America Should Change

21 to 18 -- is it that big of a deal?

105
retroplanet.com

Turning 18 is a very exciting birthday for people in America. Legally, you can be tried as an adult in court, you can vote, you can join the army and you can buy real estate. Legally, you are an adult and can be trusted to do very important things, not only for your country, but for your family and your own person. The only thing you can’t do is have a beer.

The majority of the countries throughout the world require a person to be 18 to legally purchase and drink alcohol. Except for a few select countries in Africa and parts of Asia where it completely illegal, America ties with Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Tajikistan, Indonesia, Oman and U.A.E. where the legal drinking age is the oldest at 21 years of age.

This came a shock to me, knowing that of all of the more developed countries in the world, America was the only one who’s drinking age was 21. In a way, it seems like a petty thing to complain about. Alcohol isn’t a necessity, and we have so much freedom in America, that having to wait three extra years is really no big deal. But if it’s really no big deal, why can’t we join the majority of the world and change it to 18?

Underage drinking seems to be a big issue in America. I think this is partly due to having to wait so long to be able to do it legally. Drinking will happen no matter what. If a 19-year-old wants to drink with his or her friends, they will all find a way -- legal or not.

If the drinking age was changed, at least they are doing it legally and more controlled manner. Kids won’t have to go off and party in the woods where it is potentially dangerous just because they don’t want to get caught. If an 18-year-old is injured or sick while under the influence, they will be more willing to seek help because they don’t have to risk getting in trouble. In a way, lowering the drinking age can actually be safer for college students, as well, because then at least they can be monitored safely instead of drinking in secret which can be more dangerous if things get out of hand.

As for high school students wanting to drink, they may not feel as much pressure to start early if most of them can legally drink by the time they are seniors. Kids tend to not get that interested in alcohol until sophomore year, at the earliest, and by then they’re really young and just have to wait a couple of years. By sophomore or junior year of college, most people won’t have to experiment as much since they’ve spent senior year of high school or freshman year of college figuring out their limits. It can be more controlled than in college.

Similarly, instead of taking health classes in high school where kids are told they absolutely cannot drink until they are 21 because it’s illegal, teachers and parents can focus on educating the students about the risks of drinking too much and of drunk driving. Rather than yelling at them because it’s so illegal, educating them so they can drink but still be safe could end up creating a safer environment for everyone.

Underage drinking will always be an issue as long as the drinking age stays at 21. If America would lower it’s drinking age, the risks of it could be diminished. Plus, with taxes on alcohol, the government can benefit just as much as college students with the alcohol being purchased. It’s a win-win.