21 Things You're Saying To People With Depression That Don't Help At All

We are not at fault for the illness

25
123rf

Everyone has done it — made someone the scapegoat. In many circles, the scapegoat is often the one suffering the most. Each day, those suffering from depression (but not limited to) are blamed and ridiculed for their mental illness. Here is my list that I and my friends have had said to us or about us in regards to our mental illness.

1. "You're overreacting"

2. "You're obsessed with your mental illness"

3. "It's all in your head"

4. "Why do you let it affect you"

5. "You can choose to be happy"

6. "I understand what you're going through. My boyfriend is mad at me, and I'm so depressed. I feel numb." *laughs 2 seconds later*

7. "Why are you sad? Your life seems great"

8. "Can't you just... I don't know... fake it?"

9. "Don't they have pills for that?"

10. "Eww why haven't you showered in a week That's so gross"

11. "You haven't eaten all day... no one could be that sad"

12. "Couldn't you just smile for once?"

13. "You're just doing it for attention"

14. "You're such a buzz kill"

15. "You're faking it"

16. "You're so negative"

17. "Why do you sleep so much"

18. "So... you're just... sad?"

19. "Have you tried yoga? It really helps when you're feeling down"

20. "You're being selfish"

21. "But you seem so happy"

Shocked? This is just the tip of the iceberg.

More often than not, people with mental illnesses are not given a (1) correct diagnosis and (2) are not medically treated properly. And, people who do not have a mental illness are often seen as having one because society deems them too deviant. It's time to stop the stereotypes and say it loud:

MENTAL ILLNESSES ARE REAL AND NEED TO BE TREATED PROPERLY BOTH MEDICALLY AND SOCIALLY.

If you or someone you know is suffering from depression, please contact the suicide prevention lifeline 1-800-273-8255. You are not alone.

Written with and in dedication to Ashley Marie — my lifelong friend and queen. `