21 Things I've Learned at 21

21 Things I've Learned at 21

There's so much more than being able to buy alcohol.

20
21 Things I've Learned at 21
Jimmy's In Tension

1. Drinking isn't as fun as it used to be.

I may be expressing an unpopular opinion, but being able to drink whenever you want to diminishes the lure of drinking. Anyone want to go out? I'll be the DD.

2. Getting carded is only cool the first time.

The first time, your internal monologue goes something like, "Wow, this is really happening." The second and the third and the fourth...and so on... "Yeah, I get it; I look like I'm 14."

3. Navigating liquor/beer stores is an acquired skill.

You'd think the signs that show you where various liquors/beers are located would make the plight easier, but that's a funny joke. Clear sign of alcoholism: the person can walk into a store and be out within 3 minutes.

4. Laying down immediately after consuming all of your alcohol is never a good idea.

The room will spin, and you will have a mess to clean up. Take my hypothetical word for it.

5. Drink a lot of water.

Hydration is key, for many reasons.

6. People start treating you like gold.

I know why you're really being nice to me. You're not being too subtle.

7. Acne doesn't just miraculously cease to exist.

Never trust a billboard. People with impeccably flawless skin, especially at this age, aren't real. But, you can do your part to minimize the amount of break outs you have. Wash your pillowcases every so often. Wash your face. Sleep more. Eat healthily. And, so on.

8. Wearing sweatpants every day of the week is perfectly acceptable, as long as you don't need to look professional for anything.

In fact, sometimes, people will judge you if you put too much effort into how you look. My motto: dress comfortably.

9. Binge spending isn't always a great idea.

Save your money. Yes, that new video game system or those new shoes are nice now, but you should wait until you have an emergency situation to open your wallet that widely. Be prepared for the worst.

10. You need to prioritize studying for exams ahead of social events if you want to succeed.

I know; it sucks that you're stuck in the library when the rest of your friends are partying and having a good time without you. But, missing a party isn't the end of the world.

11. But, don't forget that socializing is also important for your mental health.

Being a hermit isn't always the best thing you can do for yourself. There's a distinct difference between needing to be secluded to study for an exam and completely alienating yourself from your friend group. From time to time, surround yourself with the people closest to you, kick your feet up, and relax.

12. You can't always change the opinions of others.

Some debates you enter are going to be oddly similar to political debates on Facebook; they aren't going to get you anywhere. They're just going to piss you off.

13. Don't forget to breathe.

In the chaos, I've at times forgotten to take a breather for my own sanity. Don't overwhelm yourself, and know your own limits. Know when you need a break.

14. Sleep is vital.

Late night study sessions and all-nighters are going to happen, but be more productive during the day and budget your time accordingly to ensure that you allow your body to rest at night. Your body will thank you.

15. Being emotional doesn't mean you're any less of a person.

In fact, letting out your emotions can actually be good for your well-being, both mentally and physically.

16. Put your phone away for a while. Social media can wait.

You miss out on so much when your head is buried in dank memes and increasing your followers on Instagram. Pay attention to the people around you.

17. Never be afraid to be you.

It's only natural to be conscious of what others think of you, but you need to do what makes you happy. Remember, you have one life to live. Live it how you want to live it.

18. Pictures tell your story, so take as many as you can.

I've truly never been a fan being in pictures (I have self-image issues), but your life is the sum of your experiences. Stop for a moment, smell the roses, and then take a picture of yourself in front of the roses. You won't regret it, and you'll have something to show your grandchildren one day.

19. The people in your life currently aren't always going to be in your life.

I'm not just talking about friends here. Yes, sometimes you and your peers will grow apart--or sometimes far worse--but, also remember to cherish your family while you have them. You never know what may happen.

20. Risks are always worth taking.

Perhaps, a decision will lead to a very poor outcome; but, perhaps, that decision will lead to something incredibly beautiful. You'll never know unless you try. Take a chance.

21. There's still so much more to learn.

I may have learned a lot from this year, but I would be exceedingly ignorant to omit everything I've learned from previous years and everything that I will learn in the future. Just because this milestone birthday brought forth new situations and new lessons doesn't mean that I've encountered everything. Age may just be a number, but the lessons are truly meaningful.

Never turn a blind eye to your present because you think you know everything. Life is constantly ready to hit you in the face when you least expect it.