21 Things I Wish I Had Known Before 21 | The Odyssey Online

21 Things I Wish I Had Known Before 21

We all have a voice for a reason. So, use it!

90
21 Things I Wish I Had Known Before 21
Nikki Wright

I have made many mistakes and triumphs throughout my 21 years of life. There are many things I wish I had known before the age of 21.

People love to say "we grow up too fast" and honestly, I don't disagree with them. Children with smartphones know how to work Snapchat filters better than how to work a bicycle. They hold their tablets at the dinner table better than they can hold dinnertime conversations. Our generation was caught in a crossfire of technology interlacing with an old-school world.

Here is a list of 21 things that I wish I had known before the age of 21.

1. Don't pretend to be something you're not

Don't allow yourself to turn into someone that you don't even recognize. You don't have to worry about impressing the people who really matter.

2. It’s OK to ask for help

Times get tough and people understand. Reach out for help.

3. Be who you want to be

When you are comfortable with yourself life is so much better and you enjoy things a little more. This is hard in today’s world but very much worth it. Only you can truly decide who you want to be.

4. Your friends will change

Friends will come and go, but True friends will stay for a lifetime

5. Your family is so important

Family has been there from the start and will always be there for you. Never lose sight of that. Family will always have your back no matter what. They are there through thick and thin.

6. Everyone is weird because normal is boring

Believe or not, it’s true. I’ve come to the realization that there are no true “normal” people in existence, well I’ve never met one anyway. So be weird, be you.

7. It is OK to cry

Everyone cries, and that it is okay. It is best to let it out when needed.

8. Fighting doesn't solve anything

In most cases, it only makes things worse. So what I have learned from personal experiences is to justForgive and Forget, and then Move On.

9. The world does not revolve around You

I'm sure this one is going to be especially difficult to grasp because at your age you undoubtedly think that everything is about you. Granted, it's not entirely your fault, seeing as humans are naturally enabled with a sense of selfishness. Try your best to overcome this, and while your happiness is important, don't expect it to come at the expense of going against God or other people.

10. Save money

It may seem hard but your going to need that money someday for something more than those boots or those clothes. how about a apartment, or textbooks, or food.

11. Don't mess up your credit

Credit cards are such a great way to establish credit at a young age, but they can also be very dangerous. Be sure to use your credit wisely, don't go beyond your means. Your credit score is critical for your future. Car loans, mortgages, and even prospective employers will all depend solely on what your credit score is. Remember, everything you borrow you do have to pay back.

12. Your reputation does matter

It's okay to make mistakes, but this doesn't mean it's okay to make them over and over again even when you know they are wrong. There's nothing wrong with being the good kid. Keep your life, reputation, and surroundings as positive as you can. This matters right now and it matters for your future.

13. You can't trust anyone but yourself

no one really cares about anyone but themselves when it comes down to it. Gossip, rumors, and drama are inevitable. Don't tell anyone anything that you aren't comfortable with the whole world knowing. Word travels fast.

14. Better things are ahead

I know that sometimes it can be scary. People keep telling you "these are the best days of your life" and you're worried you're not making the most of them. While these next few years are going to be exciting and full of memories you'll never forget, there are plenty more ahead.

15. Time is too short

Don’t waste it. People come and go. Tell them you love them because you never know when the last time is the last time.

16. Don't ignore your mental health

Treat your mental health like you would your physical health. They are equally as important and you don't want to be trapped in a place you cannot get out of.

17. Let go

Just let go, have fun explore, do something you haven't done before. Be wild, Be adventurous, live on the wild side for once.

18. Listen

Learn how to genuinely listen to people when they talk. A lot of people hear but few listen.

19. Do your best

Give 110% all the time. When you really don’t feel like it, that’s when it matters most. Don’t give up.

20. Always stand up for what you believe in

Please take this advice and do it in a mature manner. No one likes the people that portray their opinions upon everyone and doesn’t care to hear from anyone else. By all means stick up for yourself and who you are though! We all have a voice for a reason. So, use it!

21. Patience is important

This is coming from one of the most impatient people in the world. I’m realizing being patient is a skill I wish I would have acquired as a child, not a young adult. Practice patience in the small things and slowly you’ll be able to integrate it into bigger life goals and relationships.