21 Takeaways From The Last 21 Years

21 Takeaways From The Last 21 Years

Twenty-one years may not be that long, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t learned a lot.

34
21 Takeaways From The Last 21 Years
sugarlicious.com.au

I've just lived through my 20th year, where I was transitioning from being a teenager to an adult... and here I am- about officially be "in my twenties". Here are a few of the most important #truthbombs from my past 20 years, and one for good measure.

1. Kindness matters.

Whether its being kind to yourself or to others, compassion and humility are beautiful traits.

2. There's nothing wrong with asking for help.

3. Your success doesn't depend on your job title, income, or zip code

4. 10 minutes early is 5 minutes too late.

Next to "please" and "thank you", I think punctuality was the value most emphasized during my upbringing.

5. You become who you surround yourself with.

6. If the door is closed, check the window.

Figuratively, that is, Don't be a "Peeping Tom".

7. People don't spend that much time thinking about you. So what does it matter what they think?

8. Carpe Diem.

I've really put this one into action over the past year. I've done things I'd never imagine I ever would, all because I seized the day.

9. Whatever you regret was exactly what you wanted.

10. You can (and should) never compare your life to someone else's.

11. Always take your makeup off before you go to bed.

My face thanks me, and yours will, too.

12. Write everything down.

13. Earning your own money is one of the best things.

14. And so is independence.

I recently had a guy tell me "It's nice to meet a girl so independent!"... dang that felt good.

15. Pick your battles.

Some things really aren't worth the fight.

16. Don't take everything so seriously.

17. You don't need to comment on everything.

18. Set aside one day a week for yourself.

Schedules get crazy. Between going to school, working, family, and everything else life throws at you. Its important to set aside some "me time", whether its an afternoon watching Netflix or a day of shopping, to focus on you and give you some time to relax.

19. Experiences > Stuff

I'd much rather recall the time I spent hiking the Grand Canyon with my friends that have a key chain of the landmark.

20. You're never too old to learn something new.

21. The days are long, but the years are short.

Twenty-one years may not be that long, but that doesn’t mean I haven’t learned a lot!