21 Stereotypes I Loathe

21 Stereotypes I Loathe

Gender and LGBTQ+ Cliches

334
21 Stereotypes I Loathe
The I'm Tired Project

There are so many stereotypes in this world that I hate. HATE. Some stereotypes that I feel particularly passionate about getting rid of are gender stereotypes and those associated with the LGBTQ+ community. The following list contains ideas that either marginalize a group or makes an assumption that only "that group" can do whatever the item is. If you loathe any of these the way I do, spread the word about stopping these stereotypes and help change people's way of thinking. If you disagree with me, if you think that these stereotypes are represented inaccurately, that's okay. This is simply what I've seen, experienced, been taught in life, and researched.

As an aspiring social worker, it is literally my life goal to STOP STEREOTYPES, and I am determined to make a difference in this area sometime in my life, starting with this article. This is one of the first times I am speaking out about this aspect of life, so without further ado, please take a look at the things I hate. Enjoy.

1. Marriage proposals

Growing up, I believed that men had to ask women to marry them. It was the man down on one knee, it was the man who asked the woman's parents for permission, and so on. Considering that concept in today's society, I see absolutely no reason why the woman cannot take on that role. If a man doesn't propose, and woman wants to get married, they should feel as if they can ask the man out.

2. Prom proposals

On that same note, all throughout middle to high school, I went to every dance we had. I even put some on as President of the Student Council. In that time, I never, ever heard of one of my female friends asking a guy out. It was always the guy doing the awkward, yet sweet, "prom-posal" that everyone would record and snap pics of. If there had been someone I wanted to ask to prom, I would have been honored to do so, and being a female, I would want people to accept that I did that, not say that the guy should have been the one "proposing."

3. "Guy"liner

What's wrong with men wearing makeup? Even with women, it's all about preference. Some women wear makeup, and some don't. Some men wear makeup, and some don't. To me, it's simple, but others can't seem to grasp that concept. That's honestly all I have to say about this one. It's not that hard to understand.

4. Nurses

With only a few exceptions, every nurse that I've ever known, whether on television shows, books, movies, or in real life, has been female. From my understanding, and based on conversations I've had with peers and research I've done on stereotypes, people believe that men are supposed to be doctors, not nurses, and those males who are nurses are queer or more feminine than they should be. Now, that's just ridiculous. The bottom line is that anyone in a nursing profession is helping people, and that's all that should matter. Not your gender or sexuality.

5. Dominance

In a conflict or a confrontational situation, men tend to take the lead and step up, "protecting" the woman. Now, if this is a physical confrontation in which the male would be better at handling due to his strength, only given that he is stronger than the woman, then fine. Whatever. But if it is more of a word-fight, why can't the woman step up?

6. Hero

Going off of that, I was thinking a few days ago about multiple songs that are out that talk about the man being the hero, how he will save the woman in the relationship, will protect her, and will be the one who stands up for her. Now, that's okay. It's great for a man to treat his lady like a princess and be there for her. At the same time, it is also equally acceptable for the woman to do the exact same for the man and be his Prince Charming, too.

7. Hormones

It annoys me that people use the "she's on her period" and "it's PMS" cards. Men have hormones, too, ya know. They can be out of balance just like with women. Don't pull those cards. It's just lame, okay?

8. Sensitivity

Why is it that people think that men cannot be sensitive unless they are gay? The idea that straight men cannot be sensitive individuals is simply preposterous. If a man chooses to be ignorant enough to be insensitive, then so be it, but that does not speak for the entire male population. The same can be said about females. Some women are insensitive, too, and that's just the way that it is. Ergo, sensitivity isn't gender specific. You know what? Going off of that, why are "chick flicks" called "chick flicks?" Guys can sit down and enjoy a sappy, romantic drama, too.

9. Eating disorders

"Eating disorders are a girl thing. Only women have eating problems." Think again, my friend. Think again. It can happen to anyone, of any gender, age, race, sexuality, anything. Because of gender stereotypes, men with eating disorders are most likely less willing to reveal their issue because they are afraid of getting shunned for it because it is considered a "girl thing."

10. Body-type

Slender men are always gay? Nope. Flatter-chested women are always gay? Nope. Women who are toned and muscular are always gay? Nope. Buff men are always straight? Nope. Nope. Nope.

11. Body hair

Judging an individual on their amount of body hair is an idea which I wish I knew the origin of. I've forever been exposed to the fact that women with too much body hair are "too manly" and that men with too little body hair or those who shave aren't manly enough. We can't win, can we people? We should stop judging on appearances, especially hairiness and focus on things that matter such as personality. Amount of body hair can either be biological or can merely be a preference, but either way, why are people being judged for it?

To wrap this article up, the last few items will be ideas that need little, or no, explanation. Mostly, these items are something that an individual was born with, a talent they developed over time, or a part of themselves or their personality that they cannot control, which is why it should not be considered gender or sexuality specific. They are so foolish that I needn't explain them, but I don't have anything to say about them besides the fact that they are false.

12. "Limp wrist"

13. Lisps

14. High-quality penmanship (or good handwriting)

15. Creativeness and attention to detail

16. Bold personality

17. Apparel (i.e. females wearing plaid)

18. Hair length

19. Being a cosmetologist

20. Promiscuity and infidelity

21. Being fashion-forward or stylish