21 Reasons It Sucks To Be Left-Handed

21 Reasons It Sucks To Be Left-Handed

It's a right-handed world. We just live in it.

3101
21 Reasons It Sucks To Be Left-Handed

Let's face the facts. We live in a world of righties. As a lefty, you're at a disadvantage. The world is pretty much just out to get you. There's so much automatically going against you that it seems like you're destined for failure.

1. Scissors.

It all started when you were a little kid. Scissors never worked quite right. You could either use your right hand and cut in a way that didn't even resemble a straight line or flip the scissors upside down and feel like you have clown hands.

2. Ink.

Writing is not kind to lefties. Smearing your writing and having your left hand covered in smudges are the tell-tale signs of a lefty.

3. Pencil Grips.

"Normal" pencil grips are not made with lefties in mind. It's simply impossible to learn how to hold a pencil correctly with a regular grip if you write with your right hand. To this day, I cannot figure out how a pencil is supposed to be held.

4. Notebooks.

Spiral bound notebooks are the enemy of every lefty.

5. Desks and Lecture Halls.

Desks are almost always on the right side. It makes taking notes or writing an exam infinitely harder for lefties. It sucks.

6. Check Marks.

I wrote check marks backwards until I was at least 12. They just don't make sense to a lefty the way they're "supposed" to be.

7. Baseball Gloves.

I always dreaded the baseball unit in gym. There were never more than two lefty gloves, and they were always the absolute worst gloves. And if there were more than two lefties in the class? Well, you better be a fast runner.

8. Rulers and Tape Measures.

Lefties have to be good at reading upside-down. Otherwise, you're never going to be able to measure anything.

9. Computer Mice.

Mice are not lefty-friendly. People who are left hand-dominant do not have excellent control over their right hand, which makes it really hard to use an ordinary mouse.

10. E-Readers.

If you tap on the left side of the screen, which is natural to a lefty, the page goes backwards instead of forwards. This is sadly not the way a book is meant to be read.

11. Can Openers.

Opening a can may be one of the most awkward things in the world for a lefty.

12. Measuring Cups.

Unless you're some kind of math wizz that is really good at converting liters into cups, liquid measuring cups are a massive pain for a lefty. The side with the lines for cups will always be facing away from you.

13. Controllers.

Holding a controller is awkward for a lefty. None of the buttons are were you expect them to be, and it's really hard to steer your Mario Kart with your right hand.

14. Coffee Cups.

Drinking coffee as a lefty is sad. The logo will always face away from you, leaving you with nothing more than a plain mug to look at.

15. Peelers.

The way the blades are arranged, it does not go well for a lefty who is trying to peel potatoes.

16. Zippers.

On pants and some jackets, it is impossible to use your left hand to pull up a zipper, meaning that lefties are forced to put in extra effort to figure out how to use their right hand.

17. Cameras.

The button is on the right side. It's essentially not possible to use your left hand to take a picture.

18. Knives.

Most knives are serrated so that it's on the wrong side for a left. This means that you're not a failure. The knife is the reason why you can never cut even slices of bread.

19. Playing Cards.

Apparently when righties play card they can fan out the cards to see all of them at once. This is a luxury that is foreign to us lefties.

20. Guitars.

If you're a lefty, I hope you like playing musical instruments upside down.

21. Watches.

Watches are meant to be worn on the left wrist and have the buttons for adjusting the time on the right side. Nothing about watches are lefty friendly.

You can take a test here to determine what percentage you are left-handed.