21 Places to Visit in Wisconsin

21 Places to Visit in Wisconsin

HELLO WISCONSIN!

380
21 Places to Visit in Wisconsin
tpsdave

Wisconsin is located in the Midwest part of the United States. Before Wisconsin was a state, the area was inhabited by different Native American tribes; The Chippewa, Menominee, Oneida, Potawatomi, and Ho Chunk (Winnebago). Jean Nicolet was the first European explorer to reach Wisconsin. France claimed Wisconsin as part of their territory in 1672. At the Treaty of Paris, France gave the land over to Great Britain. The Wisconsin territory was created in 1836, and in 1848, Wisconsin became the 30th state in the Union. Wisconsin has a rich and interesting history with great places to visit. If you come to Wisconsin, here are 21 places you could check out.

1. Little White Schoolhouse

In Ripon, it is said, that the Republican Party was created here, and the first GOP meeting was held here. In 1974, the site became a National Historic Landmark.

2. Circus World Museum

In Baraboo, there is the largest antique circus wagons collection in the world with more than 200! The museum also has a collection of circus posters, handbills, and costumes. This is also a place to see things like tigers, clowns, and tightrope walkers. This is a National Historic Landmark.

3. The First Capitol in Belmont

In 1836, the Territorial legislators rented a building in Belmont to use. They used the building for 46 days, and passed 42 laws during this time before moving the capitol to Madison which has been the capital of Wisconsin ever since.

4. Madison

There are so many places to go in Madison. There is something for everyone. State street, State Capitol, Camp Randall Stadium, Chazen Museum of Art, Henry Vilas Zoo, The Duck Pond, Overture Center, Wisconsin Historical Museum, Dane County Farmers’ Market, Ice Age National Scenic Trail, Memorial Union Terrace, Badger games, and Kohl Center are just some of the places that you can visit. There is so much to do in Madison.

Fun Fact: Brat Fest that is held in Madison, is the largest bratwurst festival in the world. (Brat Fest is over Memorial Day weekend. And it’s free parking and admission along with bands playing music) Dane County Fair is also held in Madison.

5. Wisconsin Dells

The waterpark capital of the world. There is so much to do between the water parks, amusement parks, entertainment, museums, tours, and so on. It’s a great place to get away, and spend time with family and friends. It’s a lot of fun.

6. Devil’s Lake State Park

This is the largest state park. There are picnic areas, beaches, canoes, and trails. The park has a great view, and it’s even better while you’re hiking. It overlooks the lake and everything.

7. Cave of the Mounds

A natural limestone cave located near Blue Mounds. It’s a pretty place to go to. You can explore gemstone mines, fossil digs, butterfly gardens, and outdoor trails.

8. Great Lakes

Lake Superior to the north and Lake Michigan to the east. Fun fact. The Great Lakes is the largest surface freshwater system on Earth. (Great Lakes: EPA)

9. Harley-Davidson Museum

Harley-Davidson was founded in Milwaukee in 1903. There are different exhibits and events. There are also tours.

10. Aztalan

The name comes from the ancient Aztecs. Aztalan was a Native American village. Aztalan was discovered in 1836. In 1948, it became a state park. In 1964, Aztalan became a National Historic Landmark. This site contains ruins and artifacts of an ancient Middle Mississippian village. The site thrived between 1000 and 1300 AD, but was abandoned 200 years before Christopher Columbus came to America.

11. Laura Ingalls Wilder Cabin

In Pepin, Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in a cabin. Laura Ingalls Wilder was born in 1867, and was a writer, teacher, journalist, and family farmer. Her book “Little House in the Big Woods” is a part of the Little House series, and talked about her time in Wisconsin during the 1870s.

12. Milton House

In Milton, Joseph Goodrich founded Milton. One of the things he created in the town was the Milton House. The Milton House had many purpose. It was a hotel, commercial enterprise, and apartments all in one. Behind the scenes, it was also a part of the Underground Railroad between 1844 and 1867. Joseph Goodrich was an abolitionist, and became an Underground Railroad conductor. In 1998, it became a National Historic Landmark.

13. National Railroad Museum

In Green Bay, this Museum has different articles and railroad cars throughout history.

14. Old World Wisconsin

In Eagle, there are more than 60 historic structures that were moved and reconstructed to create a pioneer community. This is the largest place in the world that is dedicated to rural life history. In 1976, this became a state historic site.

15. The Rave/Eagles Club

A multi-hall concert venue that is in Milwaukee. Live music, webcasts, national touring, and regional acts perform here.

16. Pabst Theater

This is not only an indoor concert venue, but it’s also a historic landmark in Milwaukee. It became a National Historic Landmark in 1991. The Pabst Theater is the fourth oldest continuously operating theater in the nation.

17. USS Cobia

In the Manitowoc, there is a World War 2 submarine that you can tour called the USS Cobia. During the war, The Cobia sank six vessels that belonged to the Japanese, and earned four battle stars. It’s a part of the Wisconsin Maritime Museum.

18. Milwaukee

Milwaukee is the largest city in Wisconsin. Discovery World, Milwaukee County Zoo, Brewers games, Bucks games, and The Riverside Theatre are just some of the places to visit in Milwaukee.

Festivals: Wisconsin State Fair, St. Patrick’s Day Parade, German Fest, and Summerfest.

19. Lake Geneva

A popular place during the summer for swimming and boating while in the winter there is skiing, snowboarding, and ice-skating.

20. La Crosse

A beautiful place especially during the fall. It’s also a great place for hiking. (Great River Trail and Grandad Bluff). Riverside Amusement Park, Copeland Park, and Mount La Crosse are some of the places that you can visit.

Oktoberfest has been in La Crosse for the past 56 years in September/October. There are parades, food vendors, craft beer night, and a Festmaster Ball during this fest.

21. Apostle Island Sea Caves

During the summer, the sea caves are best seen via boat. During the winter, to reach the mainland caves, visitors drive to the end of Meyers Road. Not always, but the lake can be frozen, visitors can walk, snowshoe, or ski across the ice to the cliffs.

Wisconsin has so many places to visit, and some are not listed here. There is also so much history that comes with the state. There are different cultures that have had an influence in Wisconsin, and shaped how the state is today. You can learn a lot from them. Wisconsin has something for everyone, and there is always something fun to do.

Sources: Travel Wisconsin, Wisconsin Historical Society, Tripadvisor, Best Things Wisconsin, EPA, and NPS.