21 New Books Coming Out The First Week of April (April 1st - April 7th)

This is no joke, all these amazing stories are coming out in the first week of April!

256

This is no joke, all these amazing stories are coming out in the first week of April! Stories about love and friendship, family, high school, growing up, some true, some not, some based on real worlds, others based on fantasy worlds. Whatever you're into, there are some really great stories coming out this April.

All pictures of book covers were taken from Goodreads.com. Click on the pages to go directly to the Goodreads page of each book where you can find out more info on the book, read up on the author, check out reviews of the books, read a short preview, and perhaps even enter into a giveaway for it if the site is currently holding one for that particular book!

April 1st:

1. Feast: True Love in and out of the Kitchen by Hannah Howard

This is a compulsively readable memoir of a woman at war — with herself, with her body, and with food — while working her way through the underbelly of New York City’s glamorous culinary scene. Hannah Howard is a Columbia University freshman who works as a hostess at Picholine, a Michelin-starred restaurant in Manhattan. She’s hungry for knowledge, success, and love, but she’s also hiding an eating disorder. The excruciatingly late nights, demanding chefs, bad boyfriends, and destructive obsessions have left a void inside her that she can’t fill. To reconcile her relationships with the food she worships and a body she struggles to accept, Hannah’s going to have to learn to nourish her soul.

2. I Have Lost My Way by Gayle Forman

The author of “If I Stay” is back with an emotionally cathartic story of losing love, finding love, and discovering the person you are meant to be. Freya has just lost her voice while recording her debut album, Harun is making plans to run away, and Nathaniel is arriving in New York City with a backpack, a desperate plan, and nothing left to lose. When a fateful accident draws these three strangers together, their secrets start to unravel when they begin to understand that the only way out of their own loss might just lie in help­ing the others out of theirs.

3. Neverland by Margot McGovern

At 12, Kit Learmonth saw her parents drown in a storm. Now at 17, Kit has no memories of the incident and she's okay with it. Her only clear memories include the fantastical stories of pirates and mermaids that she and her dad invented about the small island where she grew up, a place she calls Neverland. After her parents' deaths, her uncle Doc transformed the island into a boarding school for mentally ill teenagers and sent Kit away to the mainland. After a failed suicide attempt, Doc brings her home to the island for treatment which Kit resists. It’s only when Kit and her new boyfriend, Rohan, take the fantasy too far and land themselves in real danger that her faith in Neverland is shaken, and Kit must find a way back to reality.

April 3rd:

4. Folded Notes from High School by Matt Boren

Tara Maureen Murphy is any high school's worst nightmare, bringing single-minded ambition, narcissism, manipulation, and jealousy to new extremes. Poised to star as Sandy in South High's production of Grease and hoping to escape her hometown and become the Broadway starlet she was born to be. But the arrival of freshman Matthew Bloom and his dazzling audition for the role of Danny Zuko turns Tara's world upside down. What starts as a conniving ploy to "mentor" young Matt quickly turns into a romantic obsession that threatens to topple Tara's hard-won status at South High.

5. How to Be Safe by Tom McAllister

Recently suspended for an outburst, high school English teacher Anna Crawford is stewing over the injustice at home when she is shocked to see she’s been named as a suspect in a shooting at the school where she works. Her life suddenly becomes held up for relentless scrutiny and judgment as her quiet town descends into media mania. Anna must now deal with the media, her former peers, the families of the victims, and most importantly, rampant sexism both in person and online.

6. Voices from the Rust Belt by Anne Trubek

A collection of essays addressing segregated schools, rural childhoods, suburban ennui, lead poisoning, opiate addiction, and job loss. First introduced as a concept in 1984 by Walter Mondale, America's Rust Belt is more of a linguistic region and closely associated with the "Post-Industrial Midwest” (Michigan, Ohio, and Pennsylvania, parts of Illinois, Wisconsin, and New York). The Rust Belt's economic woes became a political talking point during the 2016 and helped pave the way for Donald Trump’s victory. “Voices from the Rust Belt” pulls together a distinct variety of voices from people who call the region home.

7. The Baker's Secret by Stephen P. Kiernan

22-year-old Emmanuelle bakes bread to sustain her fellow villagers in the dark days since the Germans invaded her country. After watching her mentor be taken away by the Germans, Emma vows for revenge. In the years that her sleepy coastal village has suffered under the enemy, Emma has silently, stealthily fought back. Each day, she receives an extra ration of flour to bake a dozen baguettes for the occupying troops. And each day, she mixes that precious flour with ground straw to create enough dough for two extra loaves — contraband bread she shares with the hungry villagers. Under the cold, watchful eyes of armed soldiers, she builds a clandestine network of barter and trade that she and the villagers use to thwart their occupiers. And with her gift, she is able to give her people a taste of hope and faith that one day everything will be alright again.

8. As She Fades by Abbi Glines

On the night of her high school graduation, Vale and her boyfriend Crawford get into a terrible car accident that leaves Crawford in a coma. As Vale spends long days in the hospital waiting for him to wake up, she comes across Slate Allen, a college friend of her brother, who's been visiting his dying uncle at the same hospital. They form a cautious friendship underlying with a flutter of an illicit attraction. Then Crawford wakes up, only he has no memory of Vale or their relationship. Heartbroken, Vale opts to leave for college and move on with her life. Except now, she's in Slate's territory, and their story is about to take a very strange turn.

9. Dread Nation by Justina Ireland

Jane McKeene was born two days before the dead began to walk the battlefields of Gettysburg and Chancellorsville. In this new nation, safety for all depends on the work of a few, and laws like the Native and Negro Reeducation Act require certain children to attend combat schools to put down the dead. Almost finished with her education at Miss Preston’s School of Combat in Baltimore, Jane is set to return to her Kentucky home. But when families around Baltimore County begin to go missing, Jane is caught in the middle of a conspiracy, one that finds her in a desperate fight for her life against some powerful enemies. And the restless dead, it would seem, are the least of her problems.

10. Munmum by Jesse Andrews

In this alternate reality, a person’s physical size is directly proportional to their wealth, meaning poorest of the poor are the size of rats, and billionaires are the size of skyscrapers. Warner and his sister Prayer are tiny. Day and night they face mortal dangers that the rich don’t ever have to think about, from being mauled by cats to their house getting stepped on. There are no cars or phones built small enough for them, or schools or hospitals. The siblings know their only hope is to get bigger, but how can they survive in a world that was built against them? Inequality is made intensely visceral by an adventure and tragedy that’s both hilarious and heartbreaking.

11. Starry Eyes by Jenn Bennett

Zorie and Lennon’s families are the modern day, Californian version of the Montagues and Capulets. The once best friends-now-turned-best enemies find themselves stranded in the wilderness on a group camping trip gone wrong. With no one but each other for company, Zorie and Lennon have no choice but to hash out their issues via witty jabs and insults as they try to make their way to safety. But fighting each other while also fighting off the forces of nature makes getting out of the woods in one piece less and less likely. As the two travel deeper into the rugged backcountry, secrets and hidden feelings surface. But can Zorie and Lennon’s rekindled connection survive out in the real world? Or was it just a result of the fresh forest air and the magic of the twinkling stars?

12. Antipodes by Michele Bacon

After losing her swim team captainship, her boyfriend, and her reputation, Erin Cerise hopes to do something unique to help erase the mess she made of her life on her 17th birthday. Her mother is certain that studying abroad will regain Erin’s chances of a good future, but once Erin sees her uninspiring host family and city, though, she’s not so sure. With months ahead of her, Erin slowly begins to draw on the years behind her, one step back into her memories at a time. As she rebuilds her life from the other side of the world, she finds out that when life turns your world upside down and you’re far away from home, every way you move takes you closer to where you came from.

13. Someday, Somewhere by Lindsay Champion

Dominique is a high school junior from a gritty neighborhood in Trenton, where she and her mom are barely getting by. Ben is a musical prodigy from the Upper East Side, a violinist at a top conservatory with an obsessive talent and a brilliant future. When Dom's class is taken to hear a concert at Carnegie Hall, she becomes transfixed on the boy in the front row playing the violin like his life depends on it. Posing as an NYU student, Dom sneaks back to New York City to track down Ben Tristan, a magnetic genius who whisks her into a fantasy world of jazz clubs and opera, infatuation, and possibility. But Ben's genius conceals a secret, and the challenges of her life may make it difficult to help him.

14. The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles) by Amy Spalding

17-year-old, gay, fashion-obsessed, Abby Ives has always been content playing the sidekick in other people's lives. Abby has remained focused on her plus-size style blog and her dreams of taking the fashion industry by storm. After landing a prized internship at her favorite boutique, she’s thrilled to take her first step into her dream career, but she never expected to start falling for her fellow intern and competitor, Jordi Perez. When Jordi's photography of Abby is put into the spotlight, it feels like a betrayal, rather than a starring role. Can Abby find a way to reconcile her positive yet private sense of self with the image that other people have of her?

15. Jacked Up by Erica Sage

Nick's sister is dead and his parents are sending him off to Jesus Camp. He’s pretty sure Eden Springs Church Camp is going to drive him insane with the bizarre rituals and crazy campers. Worst of all is the PC Box, into which every camper is required to place a nightly prayer or confession and where Nick scribbles down his darkest secret. But then the box is stolen and when campers' confessions start appearing around the camp, Nick is desperate to get the box back — before the world learns the truth about what he did. The truth he can’t even face, himself.

16. The Window by Amelia Brunskill

It's hard to believe Anna and Jess are sisters, let alone twins when they're nothing alike. Anna is outgoing and athletic, the complete opposite of quiet introvert Jess. After Anna falls to her death while sneaking out her bedroom window, Jess's life begins to unravel. A hundred questions haunt her: where was Anna going? Who was she meeting? And how long had Anna been keeping things from her? As Jess begins to take apart her sister's life, she discovers Jess had a lot of secrets and as she digs deeper, she learns that the answers she's looking for may be truths that no one wants her to uncover.

17. The Good Liar by Catherine McKenzie

When an explosion rips apart a Chicago building, the lives of three women are forever altered. A year later, Cecily is still mourning over the fact that she was supposed to be in the building that day. Instead, she stood on the street and witnessed it going down, with her husband and best friend inside. Kate is living thousands of miles away, having fled the disaster and hopes her past never catches up to her. And Franny, a young woman who was searching for her birth mother watched the horror unfold on the morning news, knowing that the woman she was so desperate to reconnect with was in the building. As the anniversary of the tragedy dominates the media, the memories of the terrifying morning become dangerous triggers for all three women, who are all guarding important secrets. Just how far will they go to keep them?

18. Chemistry by Weike Wang

Three years into her graduate studies at Boston University, the unnamed narrator of this story is tormented by her failed research and constantly reminded of it by her peers, her advisor, and most of all by her Chinese parents. But there's another, non-scientific question looming: the marriage proposal from her devoted boyfriend, a fellow scientist, whose path through academia has been relatively free of obstacles, and with whom she can't make a life before finding success on her own. Eventually, the pressure for success mounts so high that she must leave everything she thought she knew about her future, and herself, behind. And for the first time, she's confronted with a question she won't find the answer to in a textbook: What do I really want? Over the next two years, the narrator goes on a journey where she learns the formulas and equations for a different kind of chemistry — one in which the reactions can't be quantified, measured, or analyzed, and one that can be studied only in the mysterious language of the heart.

19. The Boy and His Ribbon by Pepper Winters

What do you do when you meet your soul mate and have to spend a lifetime loving him in secret? You lie. Ren was eight when his own mother sold him and for two years, he lived in terror. But one day he ran and with him, he took something of theirs by accident and it became the one thing he never wanted and the only thing he ever needed. Della was young when her parents bought Ren for cheap labor, just like they had with many other kids. Ren hated her, but she loved him. For years, he was her worst enemy, her fiercest protector, and dearest friend. But by the end, he loved her too. The only problem was he loved her in an entirely different way and slowly, her secret drove them apart.

20. School of Physics by K.C. Archer

Teddy Cannon isn’t your typical twenty-something woman. She’s just discovered that her uncanny precision of reading people is actually due to psychic powers and now she must decide whether to use her skills for good or bad. When a series of bad decisions lead her to a run-in with the police, a mysterious stranger intervenes and invites her to apply to the School for Psychics. If Teddy can survive her training, she’ll go on to serve at the highest levels of government, using her skills to protect the world. But just as Teddy feels like she’s found where she might belong, strange things begin to happen: break-ins, missing students, and more, leading Teddy to accept a dangerous mission that will cause her to question everything — her teachers, her friends, her family, and even herself.

21. America Is Not the Heart by Elaine Castillo

Three generations of women from one immigrant family try to reconcile the home they left behind with the life they're building in America. When Hero de Vera arrives in America, disowned by her parents in the Philippines, she's already onto her third life. Her uncle Pol has offered her a fresh start and a place to stay. He never asks about her past, and his younger wife, Paz, has learned enough about the might and secrecy of the De Vera family to keep her head down. Only their daughter Roni is brave enough to ask Hero why her hands seem to constantly ache. Castillo delivers a powerful, increasingly relevant novel about the promise of the American dream and the unshakable power of the past.